The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll look foward to this weekend where I can hear some true atmos encoded movies. I'll let you know how it sounds. Do you have any good suggestions for me to go buy?
We’ve been talking about some specific ATMOS movies.

My nomination would be “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”. :D

I saw some of “Hacksaw Ridge” in ATMOS last night. The action scenes are awesome. I’ve seen “Saving Private Ryan” (SPR) remastered in ATMOS. And “Hacksaw Ridge” puts SPR to shame in terms of sound effects. :D

You can go back and see what some of the guys wrote. I think Oblivion, The Great Wall, and Gravity are 3 other good ATMOS movies.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
We’ve been talking about some specific ATMOS movies.

My nomination would be “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”. :D

I saw some of “Hacksaw Ridge” in ATMOS last night. The action scenes are awesome. I’ve seen “Saving Private Ryan” (SPR) remastered in ATMOS. And “Hacksaw Ridge” puts SPR to shame in terms of sound effects. :D

You can go back and see what some of the guys wrote. I think Oblivion, The Great Wall, and Gravity are 3 other good ATMOS movies.
I got to play around a lot more today. Man for some reason I like DTS X or whatever the heck you call it a little better then Dolby Atmos. This is the second reciever I've felt that way. For some reason I just feel it gives me better highs and lows and better clarity with voices. Probably just end in my head. But I like Dolby Atmos on this a lot as well. Probably I'll end up with preferences for different movies. Damn I gotta work tommorow morning then I'll have some time to really play around can't wait

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got to play around a lot more today. Man for some reason I like DTS X or whatever the heck you call it a little better then Dolby Atmos. This is the second reciever I've felt that way. For some reason I just feel it gives me better highs and lows and better clarity with voices. Probably just end in my head. But I like Dolby Atmos on this a lot as well. Probably I'll end up with preferences for different movies. Damn I gotta work tommorow morning then I'll have some time to really play around can't wait
There aren’t many DTSX movies available. Which DTSX movies do you have?

I used to love DTS/DTS-HD more than DD/TrueHD.

But Dolby Atmos has completely changed that.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
There aren’t many DTSX movies available. Which DTSX movies do you have?
Honestly I'm so new at Dolby Atmos and DTS I don't even know. I put in several movies today and was switching around the different listening modes. When Id put it on DTS neural X or whatever it would set it as Dolby True HD + Nueral X. I just liked that setting just a little better then when it was on Dolby Atmos. Although I did like Atmos a lot too. As I mentioned above it could just be perception bias. I'm just using my old collection tho. I bought all the stuff now I gotta buy new atmos and dts movies to go with it. Gotta buy this gotta buy that..... They just keep on roping you in :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly I'm so new at Dolby Atmos and DTS I don't even know. I put in several movies today and was switching around the different listening modes. When Id put it on DTS neural X or whatever it would set it as Dolby True HD + Nueral X. I just liked that setting just a little better then when it was on Dolby Atmos. Although I did like Atmos a lot too. As I mentioned above it could just be perception bias. I'm just using my old collection tho. I bought all the stuff now I gotta buy new atmos and dts movies to go with it. Gotta buy this gotta buy that..... They just keep on roping you in :)
I think you mean you prefer DTS Neural:X (DTSNX) over Dolby Surround (DSU) UPMIXER.

Not DTSX vs Dolby Atmos, but DTSNX vs DSU.

I’ve compared some movies and TV shows upmixed with DTSNX vs DSU. And I thought they sounded the same to me.

Of course, it’s a matter of preference and opinion. :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Most people are very new to Atmos and DTS-X.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Ones I know for sure in the Dts:X format on Bluray are (at least in the UK)

Fast and Furious 8
Crimson Peak
Atomic Blonde
Jason Bourne (5th film)
Pitch Perfect 3 (not really much improved over just the Dts HD MA although there are moments)

On the whole the majority of either the Atmos and Dts:X films from the last couple of years are worth a listen/watch. The numbers of Atmos greatly exceed that of the Dts:X or Auro 3D. Anything earlier than, I think we agree, 2013 then it was not originally done in the Cinema as either Atmos or Dts:X and so the discs are likely just an up mix if they claim Atmos/Dts:X. Most, but not all UHD discs have either Atmos or Dts:X although occasionally it has both. America/Region A has a lot more Atmos/Dts:X bluray examples than Europe/Region B or Asia/Region C. Auro 3D are few an far between although I think there are a few examples from Germany. :confused: All UHD discs are I think region free, although their additional bluray discs can be region locked. :(

Picking favorites is a little bit cruel as most have something to recommend them.:eek: However...

Ready Player One (The opening track race)
Mad Max Fury Road (Pretty much the whole first 30 minutes)
Hacksaw Ridge (The whole battle scene)
and the list would go a fair bit. (The first page list is by no means definitive)

Even up mixing can and does work well for Dvds and Blurays. Pretty much anything from the last 20 years would most likely improve. :)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Ones I know for sure in the Dts:X format on Bluray are (at least in the UK)

Fast and Furious 8
Crimson Peak
Atomic Blonde
Jason Bourne (5th film)
Pitch Perfect 3 (not really much improved over just the Dts HD MA although there are moments)

On the whole the majority of either the Atmos and Dts:X films from the last couple of years are worth a listen/watch. The numbers of Atmos greatly exceed that of the Dts:X or Auro 3D. Anything earlier than, I think we agree, 2013 then it was not originally done in the Cinema as either Atmos or Dts:X and so the discs are likely just an up mix if they claim Atmos/Dts:X. Most, but not all UHD discs have either Atmos or Dts:X although occasionally it has both. America/Region A has a lot more Atmos/Dts:X bluray examples than Europe/Region B or Asia/Region C. Auro 3D are few an far between although I think there are a few examples from Germany. :confused: All UHD discs are I think region free, although their additional bluray discs can be region locked. :(

Picking favorites is a little bit cruel as most have something to recommend them.:eek: However...

Ready Player One (The opening track race)
Mad Max Fury Road (Pretty much the whole first 30 minutes)
Hacksaw Ridge (The whole battle scene)
and the list would go a fair bit. (The first page list is by no means definitive)

Even up mixing can and does work well for Dvds and Blurays. Pretty much anything from the last 20 years would most likely improve. :)
They have decided to make Atmos and DTS-X some kind of elite format by sticking them exclusively on UHD movies and not the accompanying HD Blu Ray disc. So basically, if you have not upgraded to UHD (TV and UHD TV) its basically not worth it to invest in an Atmos audio system unless you plans to upgrade. In my opinion, even if you have an UHD set and Blu Ray, its still very early, not enough content.

I don't understand why, if you are going to keep DTS-MA on regular Blu Ray anyway, why not stick a DTS-X track on new Blu Rays released date to date with the UHD version. I understand that its very easy to do.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They have decided to make Atmos and DTS-X some kind of elite format by sticking them exclusively on UHD movies and not the accompanying HD Blu Ray disc. So basically, if you have not upgraded to UHD (TV and UHD TV) its basically not worth it to invest in an Atmos audio system unless you plans to upgrade. In my opinion, even if you have an UHD set and Blu Ray, its still very early, not enough content.

I don't understand why, if you are going to keep DTS-MA on regular Blu Ray anyway, why not stick a DTS-X track on new Blu Rays released date to date with the UHD version. I understand that its very easy to do.
Ok so curious what disc has both dtsx and Atmos on the same disc? I’m not seeing any in my searches. Maybe this is a way to compare formats. (Not that you get a choice which you get). :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

It does seem they’ve tried to force the upgrade issue on everyone with the uhd/Atmos thing. This infuriates me to no end and I wish they wouldn’t do that crap. BUT even without a uhd tv, you can still upgrade to Atmos. The the uhd player will just send the regular HD picture and you can still extract the Atmos track. And dsu/dtsnx do such a great job of upmixing older titles, why not upgrade...Also, there’s just around 350 bd titles with Atmos tracks so will quit saying there’s no content? Auro 3d in the other hand has absolutely little to no content.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It does seem they’ve tried to force the upgrade issue on everyone with the uhd/Atmos thing. This infuriates me to no end and I wish they wouldn’t do that crap. BUT even without a uhd tv, you can still upgrade to Atmos. The the uhd player will just send the regular HD picture and you can still extract the Atmos track. And dsu/dtsnx do such a great job of upmixing older titles, why not upgrade...Also, there’s just around 350 bd titles with Atmos tracks so will quit saying there’s no content? Auro 3d in the other hand has absolutely little to no content.
Yeah my uhd player is just pushing the regular HD picture but I'm still getting the atmos and dts upgrade on my audio it's gonna be awhile till I upgrade the tv I want to get my speakers right first

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah my uhd player is just pushing the regular HD picture but I'm still getting the atmos and dts upgrade on my audio it's gonna be awhile till I upgrade the tv I want to get my speakers right first
Mad max fury road has Atmos on regular Blu-ray. Also Ready Player One. Easiest to tell by search on Blu-ray.com. The bigger part with UHD is it costs a bit more than regular bd. If they would stop packaging the regular blu ray with the UHD maybe the price would come down a little.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I think the hope is that you would buy it with the intention of the upgrade if didn't already have a UHD player, and if you did then you could still to play something in the living room or kids. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think the hope is that you would buy it with the intention of the upgrade if didn't already have a UHD player, and if you did then you could still to play something in the living room or kids. :)
Well I noticed on Amazon and Best Buy when they don’t have the dvd with the Blu-ray, the price drops on that Blu-ray, but maybe that is just marketing. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Easiest to tell by search on Blu-ray.com.
I was going to say this might not work in the UK but it does seem ok, :) if a little unhelpful regarding the audio. I checked for Atmos and nothing came up. I checked new releases and Ocean's 8 is TBA for the audio (it's out tomorrow) but apparently Jurassic World 2 is Dts :X Think I have found my next buy. :eek:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I was going to say this might not work in the UK but it does seem ok, :) if a little unhelpful regarding the audio. I checked for Atmos and nothing came up. I checked new releases and Ocean's 8 is TBA for the audio (it's out tomorrow) but apparently Jurassic World 2 is Dts :X Think I have found my next buy. :eek:
Ya their search engine needs work. However, if you search a movie title, below your search window quickly appears several versions of home releases and the year. By clicking one you quickly see a chart that shows which codecs are supported for audio and the format resolution (or if they upscaled a 2K to a 4K like on some UHDs). :)

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So my plan is 5.1.4 but eventually 5.2.4 then possibly 7.2.4 way down the road if surround back in walls work and new AVR etc if I ever upgrade (only if technology such as hdmi 2.1 or new HDCP or 8k etc forces me).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t recall if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Netflix is streaming Dolby ATMOS contents.

So I am watching Marvel’s Daredevil S03 in ATMOS. :D

Will see how it sounds. I saw S03E01 late last night so I didn’t even realize it was in ATMOS. But it sounded pretty great, which explains it. :D

So not only are the majority of BDs in ATMOS, but streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu are also now streaming ATMOS.

DTSX and Auro3D have no chance. :D

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t recall if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Netflix is streaming Dolby ATMOS contents.

So I am watching Marvel’s Daredevil S03 in ATMOS. :D

Will see how it sounds. I saw S03E01 late last night so I didn’t even realize it was in ATMOS. But it sounded pretty great, which explains it. :D

So not only are the majority of BDs in ATMOS, but streaming services like Netflix and Vudu are also now streaming ATMOS.

DTSX and Auro3D have no chance. :D
What is your source device? Xbox?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is your source device? Xbox?
Everything is through my custom-built HTPC/KODI.

I guess you need one of these devices to get ATMOS from Netflix:
  • Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
  • LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
  • Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
  • Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
  • Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
  • Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis