StormAudio ISP MK2 24CH AV Processor Review & Support Thread

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You can't hear the diffe
That's true but it's also the only room correction system that virtually does nothing so there's that ;)
So I guess the YPAO team knows bias and Placebo effects can work wonder on at least some people and were smart to take advantage of that!!;) It may also has a better chance of doing no harm, and will do some good for those who follow up with their own tweaking via PEQ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can't hear the diffe

So I guess the YPAO team knows bias and Placebo effects can work wonder on at least some people and were smart to take advantage of that!!;) It may also has a better chance of doing no harm, and will do some good for those who follow up with their own tweaking via PEQ.
Sometimes, less is MORE. ;) :D

But there is an AVP/AVR for everyone. Some people want more EQ, some people want less EQ. Whatever works best and sounds best for them.

S

svenyun

Audiophyte
That's true but it's also the only room correction system that virtually does nothing so there's that ;)
Gene, were you able to try the YPAO low frequency mode? I am still unsure if it is completely automatic, or if manual measurement with REW is still needed after running YPAO low freq mode.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Hi @gene,

Thank you for your review. What was the voltage level of the measurement below? I couldn’t figure that out. The was another measurement that was at 8V and wasn’t sure if this one was 8V?
I have the Stormaudio MKII as well enjoy it very much. Thanks again.

AF1CCFD0-C53A-48EF-B369-1ED51AA58B9D.jpeg

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, were you able to try the YPAO low frequency mode? I am still unsure if it is completely automatic, or if manual measurement with REW is still needed after running YPAO low freq mode.
Not yet. Writing up my bench test report first then testing YPAO next,.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi @gene,

Thank you for your review. What was the voltage level of the measurement below? I couldn’t figure that out. The was another measurement that was at 8V and wasn’t sure if this one was 8V?

View attachment 52168
So if you look at the RMS level on the vertical scale for this measurement, it's around 5.6dbV.

To convert dBv to Volts(rms) you do alog(dbV/20) which in this case would be alog (5.6/20) or 1.9Vrms.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi @gene,

View attachment 52168
Just FYI, if you don't want to do your own calculations every time you should bookmark the sengpielaudio site. It probably has all the formula you would ever need for audio equipment related calculations, and it also include calculators so you don't have to calculate.

CALCULATORS

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Just FYI, if you don't want to do your own calculations every time you should bookmark the sengpielaudio site. It probably has all the formula you would ever need for audio equipment related calculations, and it also include calculators so you don't have to calculate.

CALCULATORS
Don't be lazy, know the math ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Sure for us EEs, but..;)
Do the math, less it rots your brain. ;) when I was in the petroleum industry working around engineers if anyone of them saw anyone using a project calculator which I kept in my bag, more than likely the engineer on the job would surely compliment you, with throw that calculator in the Gulf it's gonna rot your brain.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Do the math, less it rots your brain. ;) when I was in the petroleum industry working around engineers if anyone of them saw anyone using a project calculator which I kept in my bag, more than likely the engineer on the job would surely compliment you, with throw that calculator in the Gulf it's gonna rot your brain.
I do, and I have developed my own calculators for those things, but I am a licensed professional EE, and I know realistically even given the right formula, not all AH members would be able to apply them correctly without further Googling/reading. So when I see an incredible website such as the one I posted link to that not only include the formula (for those not lazy:) and have some EE knowledge) but also the calculators for those who just want to get the answers quickly.

I see that I am not the only Audioholics who woke up 5 am on a nice Sunday morning.:D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I do, and I have developed my own calculators for those things, but I am a licensed professional EE, and I know realistically even given the right formula, not all AH members would be able to apply them correctly without further Googling/reading. So when I see an incredible website such as the one I posted link to that not only include the formula (for those not lazy:) and have some EE knowledge) but also the calculators for those who just want to get the answers quickly.

I see that I am not the only Audioholics who woke up 5 am on a nice Sunday morning.:D
You and Gene are funny, but in an engineers way.;) I got it PENG, I lol when I read Gene's post to you on the calculator thing. On AH, You, Gene for sure of course, Doc and maybe a few other's know the math when comes to audio. The rest of us need calculators some of us just don't think as fast as you guys. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You and Gene are funny, but in an engineers way.;) I got it PENG, I lol when I read Gene's post to you on the calculator thing. On AH, You, Gene for sure of course, Doc and maybe a few other's know the math when comes to audio. The rest of us need calculators some of us just don't think as fast as you guys. :D
Now that you got me started... It's not just knowing the math, but also the basic concepts as one needs to really understand the basics in order to apply the right formula and use them correctly to get the right answers.

In college/university days we had the saying that any/all math text books that have the word "advanced" followed by mathematics, calculus etc. in the title, don't worry about it as it would be relatively easy to read. If you see something like "Basic", "Principle..", "Fundamental" etc., followed by whatever in the titles, then watch out..

Just a few examples of what many got the concepts wrong, resulted in misnomers and hearsay such as:

- RMS power (actually meaningless for audio amplifiers and loudspeakers)
- Music signal is complex, so you can't test amps with sine wave signals (not totally untrue but the hearsayers often got their reasons wrong).
- Damping factor has to be in the hundreds, if not higher (False in general, Crown Audio used to make such a claim but those articles seemingly have been removed since years ago)
- Amps with extremely low THD could sound worse than those with much higher THD that don't, or use little negative feedback. (not always true) Note: AH has an article to debunk the negative feedback myth.
- AVRs, or amps not rated for 4 ohms can't drive 4 ohm speaker or they would sound terrible. (False, it depends..)
- Class AB amps would operate in class A at low output and changed to class B at higher output. (In general not true, may be a few were designed to operate that way but I can't think of one).

All of the above are either not true, often misunderstood, or at least not totally true, or overrated at best.

That's just a few, the list can go on for days, feel free to add.. People who Google for knowledge will continue to come across such inaccurate information and such misnomers and worse, even the wrong/misunderstood concepts would unfortunately be regurgitated, forwarded with good intention thereby perpetuating on the internet, and we get more and more hearsay..

Enough venting, time for my second cup and move on to something more positive.:)

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Now that you got me started... It's not just knowing the math, but also the basic concepts as one needs to really understand the basics in order to apply the right formula and use them correctly to get the right answers.

In college/university days we had the saying that any/all math text books that have the word "advanced" followed by mathematics, calculus etc. in the title, don't worry about it as it would be relatively easy to read. If you see something like "Basic", "Principle..", "Fundamental" etc., followed by whatever in the titles, then watch out..

Just a few examples of what many got the concepts wrong, resulted in misnomers and hearsay such as:

- RMS power (actually meaningless for audio amplifiers and loudspeakers)
- Music signal is complex, so you can't test amps with sine wave signals (not totally untrue but the hearsayers often got their reasons wrong).
- Damping factor has to be in the hundreds, if not higher (Crown Audio used to make such a claim but those articles seemingly have been removed since years ago)
- Amps with extremely low THD could sound worse than those with much higher THD that don't, or use little negative feedback.
- AVRs, or amps not rated for 4 ohms can't drive 4 ohm speaker or they would sound terrible.
- Class AB amps would operate in class A at low output and changed to class B at higher output. (may be a few were design to operate that way but I can't think of one).

That's just a few, the list can go on for days, feel free to add.. People who Google for knowledge will continue to come across such inaccurate information and such misnomers and worse, even the wrong/misunderstood concepts would unfortunately be regurgitated, forwarded with good intention thereby perpetuating on the internet, and we get more and more hearsay..

Enough venting, time for my second cup and move on to something more positive.:)
Some on AH don't consider Dampening Factor important. Some don't, (one) has even mentioned not to even discuss Dampening Factor. I've read articles on Dampening Factor and the article even stated it's meaningless. What's your take

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I did the math when I took Engineering Mathematics I. But those days are long gone. :D
Loved calculus. Hated algebra. The prof for electromagnetic wave theory said that 3/4 would fail the class. He was pretty close. Didn't help that the mathematical principles were taught in a math class in the following semester! Kept all of my text books and would like to exercise my brain with some of those math problems again. The mathematics I use in finance are pretty straight forward by comparison.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I did the math when I took Engineering Mathematics I. But those days are long gone. :D
What year of Pharmacy school did you have to take Engineering Mathematics? Hahaha. Or was that undergrad when you were figuring out a career path?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Andrew is in Dallas, with family. He about to eat a Big giant Texas steak! If his wife let's him. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Some on AH don't consider Dampening Factor important. Some don't, (one) has even mentioned not to even discuss Dampening Factor. I've read articles on Dampening Factor and the article even stated it's meaningless. What's your take
Whatever I listed in the post are either totally false, partially false, often misinderstood, or overrated. DF is important but often overrated, higher than 100 measured under the worse conditions will likely be more than high enough imo.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What year of Pharmacy school did you have to take Engineering Mathematics? Hahaha. Or was that undergrad when you were figuring out a career path?
It was when I was in engineering major. Before one of my engineering teachers told us that about 2,000 engineers graduated in Oklahoma every year and that the field was over saturated. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis