W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
I guess I should be embarrassed because I used S-video connections. :rolleyes:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am not very familiar with YPAO (also ARC and other software) or it's equivalence to the Audyssey XT32 DUAL Subwoofer Equalization and Dynamic EQ.

I believe YPAO does more than adjusting those levels, but I have no idea how EFFECTIVE it is or how it actually sounds compared to Audyssey Sub EQ/ DEQ.

Everyone (Yamaha, Denon, Anthem, Pioneer, Emotiva, etc.) claims to have the best software. :D

For example, YPAO has a Dynamic Volume equivalent to the Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dolby Volume Leveler found in Anthem AVRs. But I do not know if YPAO has an equivalent to Dynamic EQ. Dolby Volume Modeler in the Anthem AVR is "supposed" to be an equivalent to Audyssey DEQ, but I am not convinced. With the exception of Dolby TrueHD, I have very little faith in Dolby Labs in general. :D

I think the Onkyo 5007 AVR has both Dolby Volume + Audyssey DEQ. It would be interesting to compare Dolby Volume Modeler vs. Audyssey DEQ. :D

If Audyssey didn't have Subwoofer EQ and especially Dynamic EQ, I wouldn't care about Audyssey either. I would still be using Direct or Pure Direct modes like I've been doing the past 15+ years. :D
Audyssey still has one advantage over YPAO. The latest Audyssey algo does simultaneous calibration of multiple subs creating one correct EQ of the summed response. I'm trying to get Yamaha to offer this in the future for YPAO. Separately EQing each sub is not as effective and often detrimental.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey still has one advantage over YPAO. The latest Audyssey algo does simultaneous calibration of multiple subs creating one correct EQ of the summed response. I'm trying to get Yamaha to offer this in the future for YPAO. Separately EQing each sub is not as effective and often detrimental.
I think both YPAO and ARC can EQ only one sub. Have you played with ARC much?

Z

Zakblue

Audiophyte
Hi and thank you for the review.

I'm currently using a Pioneer LX-85 as a pre amp and i'm looking to upgrade to a pre pro that supports 4k/4k passthrough for a new display. I'm quite happy with the surround processing
of the LX 85, but because it's so hard for consumers like me to test the differences between the Lx-85 and the CX-A5000 I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to
the performance comparison between the two?

I'm running a Kef R series 5.1 setup using Emotiva XPA-1s for fronts (R500) and XPA-3 for centre and rears (r200 & r300s). The CX-A5000 would also allow me to run the speakers using balanced
which is enticing!

Cheers,

Zak

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
Cxa-5000

Back not too many months ago just after its introduction, I purchased the CXA 5000 and this was long overdue in coming from Yamaha. I, personally, over the years have had somewhat of a preference for the Yamaha products(previous RXA 2000) because of their DSP presence programs , but, especially when applied to watching a movie. Unlike the DPL11Z and Onkyo DSX extra channel enhancements, the fully adjustable Movie Theater programs on the Yamaha give the listener the audio equivalent of a large movie theater making it sound like they are in a much larger space which is done quite realistically. It is especially effective in an acoustically "dead" room. I have yet to hear any of the others do it quite this well.

On the video side, it is true for some reason, Yamaha chose to eliminate the Noise reduction feature on this model which, in their previous models, was quite noticeably effective. I wonder if it is still a feature on their most current AVRs? Since I have a Radiance "Mini" VP, the processing on the Pre-Pro is turned off so it doesn't matter to me anyway.

The sound and features are great, however, I have one ongoing beef and it it has been like this with any of the mainstream manufacturers for quite some time. In North America, you usually can get any colour you desire "as long as it is black"! Yamaha, in particular, in other parts of the world, along with black, offers this and other units in an optional "champagne"(gold) and silver colour. I wish they did it here. Not fair.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
I'm having a hard time with the value rating of 5, but I guess $6000 is way out of my price range for a receiver, processor and or amp combination. The Denon AVR X4000 is listed at around $1300 and has the top of the line multieq xt32 with sub eq (probably a better room eq software) and better way of implementing 11 channels through Audyssey DSX or DTS Neo X. Someone could then buy 11 Emotiva Pro Stealth 6s and likely have more headroom onhand that the Yamaha amp. The total package would be about $7300, which is close to the price of just the Yamaha processor and amp alone. This $7300 would be a preamp, amp and speaker combo kind of all at once. If someone had their mind set on other similarly priced passive speakers from another manufacturer, then using Outlaw, or Emotiva amps could get you in a similar $7000 total price range for preamp (the Denon model above), amp and speakers.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I'm having a hard time with the value rating of 5, but I guess $6000 is way out of my price range for a receiver, processor and or amp combination. The Denon AVR X4000 is listed at around $1300 and has the top of the line multieq xt32 with sub eq (probably a better room eq software) and better way of implementing 11 channels through Audyssey DSX or DTS Neo X. Someone could then buy 11 Emotiva Pro Stealth 6s and likely have more headroom onhand that the Yamaha amp. The total package would be about $7300, which is close to the price of just the Yamaha processor and amp alone. This $7300 would be a preamp, amp and speaker combo kind of all at once. If someone had their mind set on other similarly priced passive speakers from another manufacturer, then using Outlaw, or Emotiva amps could get you in a similar $7000 total price range for preamp (the Denon model above), amp and speakers.
The ability to use parametric eq in addition to their auto eq should not be overlooked. In addition, none of those units have the history or experience in room modeling of various music and movie venues that Yamaha has which they used in the DSP processor and refined over the years. Years and years ago jvc did but they are long gone.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
My first Hifi love was Yamaha whose gear I owned starting in 1983 and ending in 2011 when I sold my Z11. However I still read all Yamaha amplifier reviews because I am still interested in the quality the brand represents.

When I purchased the Z11 in early 2008 I paid 5500 Euro; the MSRP was the same in USD and GBP. This combo has a price tag of $6000 so was the Z11 overpriced or is this combo underpriced or is it of lesser quality than the Z11 which I seriously doubt after having read the review or is there another reason ?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You're comparing a receiver to a dedicated processor. In that regard, compare to the RX-A2020 instead of the CX-A5000. The CX-A still has many advantages over a receiver including balanced outputs, beefier analog preamp section, more dsp power, etc. The closest competitor to a separates solution using the same brand components would be Marantz and Integra. While both are great products.neither of those alternatives offer 11.1 capabilities as a 2 box solution however.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My first Hifi love was Yamaha whose gear I owned starting in 1983 and ending in 2011 when I sold my Z11. However I still read all Yamaha amplifier reviews because I am still interested in the quality the brand represents.

When I purchased the Z11 in early 2008 I paid 5500 Euro; the MSRP was the same in USD and GBP. This combo has a price tag of $6000 so was the Z11 overpriced or is this combo underpriced or is it of lesser quality than the Z11 which I seriously doubt after having read the review or is there another reason ?
The amp section of your Z11 is very similar to the amp section found in the MX-A5000. The processing power of the Z11 is very similar to the processing power of the CX-A5000. The Separates solution simply have more up to date technology and a bit more headroom due to the 2 box solution separating out power supplies and having more heatsinking area for cooling.

The Z11 is still a darn good receiver. Enjoy it!

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
Cxa 5000

When I purchased my CXA-5000, I owned multi-channel power amps already in place for its use so for me, amplification was never an issue or extra expense. Remember too that the prices quoted are MSRP and I purchased my unit for several hundred dollars below that suggested price. As good as the Z11 was, it was an early implementation of HDMI which I understand now, given its ongoing connectivity issues , could be periodically problematic with it. Also newer configurations of any AVR/Pre-Pros such as the model under discussion are more software based allowing for any "issues" or additional added features which can be taken care of by firmware updates. Correct me if am wrong but, I don't believe models such as the Z11 and earlier were equipped with this ability.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Also newer configurations of any AVR/Pre-Pros such as the model under discussion are more software based allowing for any "issues" or additional added features which can be taken care of by firmware updates. Correct me if am wrong but, I don't believe models such as the Z11 and earlier were equipped with this ability.
The Z11 was equipped with an RS232 input allowing firmware updates.
You could have checked the Yamaha website...Discontinued products section; Support tab.

B

Bryan Johnson

Audiophyte
One thing to note for prospective buyers - there is no ALAC support for direct streaming. Not a deal breaker as most users would have another device that can decode it, or you can easily convert it to FLAC. Just something to be aware of.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I am considering either this unit or the Marantz 7702 or 8802. I already have 9.1 setup and don't need the amplifier, just the processor. Any thoughts by members with experience of these 2 brands? The room correction stuff really isn't important. I am more concerned how the Yamaha;s DSP implementation will compare with Atmos and how they sound in 2 channel stereo.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy already referred to it in one of the first posts but can anyone give a reason why the A-S3000 (integrated amp) costs $8000 whereas this combo 'only' costs $6000 ? Are the components used in the A-S3000 from a different (i.e. higher) level than the ones used in this combo or is there any other reason that explains this ?

H

Harald

Audiophyte
Halo - up to my current knowledge the CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Combo is not able to stream any music file format gapless, right? (I am particulary interested in FLAC and AIFF) Does anybody know that perhaps Yamaha is working on an update to fix this? I read something like this in a blog from 2014. And furthermore when this updated Version will arrive to the (German) market?(BTW, I have contacted Yamaha Germany CSC but the picture is still not clear to me)

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Why buy this over an Emo setup?
For me, it's Atmos/DTS:X. Don't get me wrong. I love Emotiva and I'm actually planning on an Emo XMC-1 in another room of mine, but they both have their advantages. If you only want 7.x, then the Emo's a freaking amazing value. Especially with Dirac Live and all that. Need 7+.x.4, then the Yamaha's the way to go IMO.

H

hmarkstrom

Audiophyte
I first had the Yamaha CX-A5000 and MX-A5000 and then after a year replaced Yamaha CX-A5000 with Yamaha CX-A5100. Since it got DTS:X it has been upgraded two times.

I have a 7.2.4 configuration with XTZ Cinema speakers and four XTZ Cinema S2 Atmosphere in the ceiling.
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X have a very dynamic sound and I have played the beginning of Terminator: Genisys load and people that listen to it was very impressed and a cousin said that it sounded better than in the cinema.

F

Franck

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have got a Jamo D600 pack (4 ohm).
when you say "We ALWAYS recommend leaving the impedance switch set in the default high (8 ohms or more) mode regardless of the speaker load you will be using", does that mean that that I can set the impedance switch to 8 ohms without any risk even if all my speakers are 4 ohms?
Thank you

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis