Receiver and speakers upgrade

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Perfect! Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction and for all the info. I’m excited about it. My speakers come week after this upcoming (week of Friday the 13th). I’ve already put half down and pay the rest upon pickup.
@Ken32
Here is a rare opportunity to get a brand new DCA 1222 even at a lower price. I would try to offer $500:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/QSC-Digital-2-Channel-Power-Cinema-Amplifier-DCA-1222/163098753540?hash=item25f9717a04:g:tv4AAOSwiu5bLW-V

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@Verdinut do you have experience with crown amps?
I have never had the opportunity to try a Crown amp. I was suggested the QSC brand by a friend musician. In his experience, he used all sorts of amps, and the only brand of amplifiers he couldn't kill was the QSC products. So I decided to go for that reputable brand.

I know that several of the audioholics have been using Crown amps and they have been satisfied. QSC amps have better specs but for practical purposes, the Crown are also reported as having an acoustical transparency. Then, it becomes a matter of personal preference. Also, the QSC products are more expensive and many audiophiles opt for the more affordable Crowns.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I have never had the opportunity to try a Crown amp. I was suggested the QSC brand by a friend musician. In his experience, he used all sorts of amps, and the only brand of amplifiers he couldn't kill was the QSC products. So I decided to go for that reputable brand.

I know that several of the audioholics have been using Crown amps and they have been satisfied. QSC amps have better specs but for practical purposes, the Crown are also reported as having an acoustical transparency. Then, it becomes a matter of personal preference. Also, the QSC products are more expensive and many audiophiles opt for the more affordable Crowns.
Reason i ask is they have the xls1502 model which is class D and it’s only 399. Not sure if sound quality would be as good as the qsc.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Reason i ask is they have the xls1502 model which is class D and it’s only 399. Not sure if sound quality would be as good as the qsc.
Personally, I prefer the specs of the Class AB amp and another feature of the QSC DCA series amps is that they meet the THX certification. Probably, you wouldn't notice a sound quality difference between the two, but you might however prefer the looks of the QSC amp. OTOH, I understand that the amp you wish to get will somehow be hidden, so either one should do the job. I guess.
Keep us posted on your final decision and eventually for your impressions on your new acquainted amp.

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Personally, I prefer the specs of the Class AB amp and another feature of the QSC DCA series amps is that they meet the THX certification. Probably, you wouldn't notice a sound quality difference between the two, but you might however prefer the looks of the QSC amp. OTOH, I understand that the amp you wish to get will somehow be hidden, so either one should do the job. I guess.
Keep us posted on your final decision and eventually for your impressions on your new acquainted amp.
I really like it as well. If that’s the case i may just pick up the Onkyo RZ820 for 599 on sale. Loaded and also THX certified.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What about the def tech bp 9060? They’re on sale right now for 1600 a pair with 10” bass drivers. I heard great things about them.
Def tech speakers seem to be generally well received/liked, so I suspect they sound pretty good.
I just wanted to chime in and emphasize that Def Tech is ridiculously cavalier with their specifications!
There is no way they are getting 18Hz (at least in any audible sense) out of a 10" driver. They have a history of shamelessly exaggerating their specification (more than any other mainstream speaker manufacturer).
Like I said, it seems that they sound pretty good, so don't rule them out. However, you can not use their specifications to help with your decisions.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Def tech speakers seem to be generally well received/liked, so I suspect they sound pretty good.
I just wanted to chime in and emphasize that Def Tech is ridiculously cavalier with their specifications!
There is no way they are getting 18Hz (at least in any audible sense) out of a 10" driver. They have a history of shamelessly exaggerating their specification (more than any other mainstream speaker manufacturer).
Like I said, it seems that they sound pretty good, so don't rule them out. However, you can not use their specifications to help with your decisions.
I’ve already purchased paradigm premier 800f towers. Which bested everything I’ve talked about in terms of sound quality.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Lots of bad specs in marketing. The power specs are always BS on AVRs as well. I think what is important is that real subs are needed for any complete system.. Sure you can run full range towers that roll off in the 30s but they still need good subs. The good subs bring the wow factor. HSU, Rythmik, SVS etc

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Got my speakers today and I’m very disappointed with the quality and the sound. Definitely not worth 2,000 USD. Crafted in Canada is worse than Chinese speakers I’ve bought in the past. Front baffle was broken and they forgot to mount the speakers to the cabinet. (No screws). The other speaker had glue all over the finish. Canadian quality? Where? Needless to say these are going back and I’m starting over.
A17F48F7-D7A5-489F-A6FF-EA5FEAAAF7F9.jpeg
51BB2B7F-24F0-404A-A582-5EBDE28943E6.jpeg

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
That sucks! I’m crossing Paradigm off my list too... Sorry man.
I’ll never consider them again. The vinyl wrap made in China B&W 683 were higher quality than these. My 600 dollar real wood veneer rtia7 Best these paradigms.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve been considering Canton at A4L or Philharmonic Audio by Dennis Murphy but I’m still early in my search.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I’ve been considering Canton at A4L or Philharmonic Audio by Dennis Murphy but I’m still early in my search.
I’ll more than likely go with B&W. Quality seems there. Sound is definitely there. Or i may stick with Polk and do the LSIM line.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Got my speakers today and I’m very disappointed with the quality and the sound. Definitely not worth 2,000 USD. Crafted in Canada is worse than Chinese speakers I’ve bought in the past. Front baffle was broken and they forgot to mount the speakers to the cabinet. (No screws). The other speaker had glue all over the finish. Canadian quality? Where? Needless to say these are going back and I’m starting over.View attachment 24958View attachment 24959
Wow. That is appalling. Were those built on “bring your kid to work day?” No excuse for that whatsoever. Thy should swap out for a set of upgrades no charge just so they don’t look like A holes.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Wow. That is appalling. Were those built on “bring your kid to work day?” No excuse for that whatsoever. Thy should swap out for a set of upgrades no charge just so they don’t look like A holes.
They want me to ship them back and replace them. I’m not interested. I requested my monet back. It’s sad, Polk audio is far better constructed and sound better in my opinion. For 600 a pair, no brainer. Hand crafted in Canada by uncaring workers and no QC. That should be their slogan.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They want me to ship them back and replace them. I’m not interested. I requested my monet back. It’s sad, Polk audio is far better constructed and sound better in my opinion. For 600 a pair, no brainer. Hand crafted in Canada by uncaring workers and no QC. That should be their slogan.
Were they new, bought directly from Paradigm? Are you kidding?

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Were they new, bought directly from Paradigm? Are you kidding?
Yes! Brand new from them to me. My thoughts exactly. 2k dollars on that junk. Never again. I’ll never question Chinese quality again. Lately, everything China made (speaker wise) has been excellent quality with no issues.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know Paradigms can get pricey, but I didn't realize you had to give a Monet for them!;):p
I am not a fan of Paradigm speakers because I don't like their looks that much, though I do own an Anthem power amplifier. Having said that, I always thought they make quality stuff. Even their old monitor series looked to be of decent quality. Something just doesn't sound right in this case for their "crafted in Canada" Premier series to be that bad. They are not far from me, may be I should ask them for a factory tour.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis