A/V Receiver and Surround Sound Speakers.

M

MattRobs94

Audiophyte
Hey Audioholics,
I am new here, and i am looking for some recommendations for a A/V receiver and surround sound speakers.
I live in a small condo, so not a lot of space. from my tv to my couch is 9 feet. so just need something simple for that amount of space.
I'm looking for a center speaker to go onto the tv stand, 2 surround sound speakers (wall mountable), and a subwoofer. also an A/V receiver with Dolby Atmos and vision capabilities, and room to add more speakers if i ever move to a bigger space where i can have more.

I currently have LG soundbar with a subwoofer Model # SN6Y, but i don't think that will be compatible at all.

Sorry if the question is in the wrong thread or doesn't make sense, i'm not too well adept in the audio space.
Thanks in advance :)

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Last edited:
M

MattRobs94

Audiophyte
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What is your budget? $3000? You want an AVR, 2 front main speakers + center speaker, Subwoofer, and 2 surround speakers? Have you searched at Crutchfield.com for pricing and features?

How To Set Up a 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System | Audioholics
How To Set Up a 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System | Audioholics

5.1 surround sound systems at Crutchfield
avr receivers at Crutchfield

For your small space and on a tight budget and for a small condo.
Actually, $3000 is not much for a 5.1 surround system. If I were you, I would rather put the planned sum on a better sounding stereo system using 2 bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer with a stereo receiver having a proper sub output.

The speakers are the weakest components in an audio system. You have to put at least half of the available moneys on them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would add, that I would not limit yourself to bookshelves. Bookshelves need to be on stands, so you might as well have much better towers, as they take no more floor space. I agree start with a good 2.1 system and go from there. A lot of spaces are best served with 2.1 or 3.1 systems. Fewer good speakers always bests more poorer ones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another vote for starting off with less than a 5.1 system with your budget. Two good speakers and a sub will be more satisfying, particularly more than most 5.1 "sets". Maybe even the used market to stretch your $.

M

MattRobs94

Audiophyte
Awesome! thanks for all the replies and recommendations everyone. ill take everything into consideration.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might want to check out this article on center speakers, too

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Audioholics,
I am new here, and i am looking for some recommendations for a A/V receiver and surround sound speakers.
I live in a small condo, so not a lot of space. from my tv to my couch is 9 feet. so just need something simple for that amount of space.
I'm looking for a center speaker to go onto the tv stand, 2 surround sound speakers (wall mountable), and a subwoofer. also an A/V receiver with Dolby Atmos and vision capabilities, and room to add more speakers if i ever move to a bigger space where i can have more.

I currently have LG soundbar with a subwoofer Model # SN6Y, but i don't think that will be compatible at all.

Sorry if the question is in the wrong thread or doesn't make sense, i'm not too well adept in the audio space.
I makes perfect sense to me. I think a 5.1 system is all I have ever needed and I do quite well with a 2.1 system in the bedroom. But my orientation is about the content, not the equipment. A good movie is good on any system.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Audioholics,

I live in Ontario. Its very doable for that budget if you want to go used. All my AVRs that I'm using now have been purchased used. They are all Yamaha; RX-A3060, A2060, A1060, RX-V1075, RX-V1900, and RX-V1500, the last one predating HDMI and not much use to you. However, they are all still fully functional and operate glitch free. Same can be said with most of my speakers and subs. The only new AVR I purchased was a Yamaha RX-v1800 (given to my son-inlaw for his setup) and two Rythmik subs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis