Receiver and speakers upgrade

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Hey everyone! New to the forums and looking for some opinions for a new receiver and speaker system upgrade.
First, I’m used to Onkyo, though, i don’t know how their new stuff is with pioneer. My choices so far are the rz series (onkyoneer) or something from denon or Marantz perhaps? I plan on doing Atmos eventually (in ceiling) My room is roughly 18x21 and I’ll be using this setup for 50/50 movies and music. Ive read a lot of reviews about internet direct vs big box stores... and, well, that leads me to my speaker question... i really like the sound of B&W 683s2 at Best Buy. But then i hear of Ascend acoustics and Aperion grand Verus. Both look incredible... So this leads me here, who has experience with the listed? Who may recommend better? I understand speakers are subjective, but i have pretty average hearing. Usually what sounds awesome to most other, I’ll agree with!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What's your budget? Is the room dedicated or open to other areas? What about sub/s ?

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I want to keep the towers around 2k give or take a little. Receiver around 1200 or so. The room is open to the dining room and kitchen. I plan on subs later when i start my Atmos install. But for the most part i want an awesome sounding tower for 2.0 direct mode music listening. Then I’ll work on my center and surrounds etc.....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Picking speakers first will dictate the type of avr you need and the features you want. Depending on how loud you like to listen, and how far away your seating is will determine what type of power you need to power the speakers to those levels.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

As for speakers, ID companies typically are more bang for your buck. Have you considered bookshelves and subs now?

At your current price point and towers
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

https://revelspeakers.com/productdetail/~/product/f36.html

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower

The ascends would be my choice out of the ones you mentioned.

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Roughly 14 feet away during movies a little more for music walking around and such. I’ve heard rave reviews on svs ultra. I’d like to stick with towers for 2ch music. Bookshelves to me don’t get down like a tower. Have you heard any of the ones you’ve mentioned? Only thing svs I’ve heard were the primes and i was utterly dissapointed! If you’ve listened to any of your list, which would be your choice?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Roughly 14 feet away during movies a little more for music walking around and such. I’ve heard rave reviews on svs ultra. I’d like to stick with towers for 2ch music. Bookshelves to me don’t get down like a tower. Have you heard any of the ones you’ve mentioned? Only thing svs I’ve heard were the primes and i was utterly dissapointed! If you’ve listened to any of your list, which would be your choice?
I've heard all of them and listed in order of preference. Note the Philharmonic is a stand mount, but large and plays very low for its size.

Depending on the type of music you listen to, towers in this price range cover most of the low notes in music, except pipe organs and some edm.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I listen mainly to rock, jazz, metal. John Mayer, Santana, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, sound garden, stuff of that nature.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Where are you located?

Any of the referenced will cover those types of music. Movies really need a sub for full range playback.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Pikeville, KY. The only stores i have to use for demo is Barney miller and Best Buy 3 hours away. Magnolia has b&w which i liked the sound of, Martin Logan motion which weren’t hooked up. Also had Elac, klipsch and Polk.
Barney’s has mostly golden ear and paradigm

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Not much close eh? SVS has 45 day in home trail. I'm not sure on REVEL, but they except returns. With the Salk and Philharmonic they are made to order, so returns arent usually accepted, but would sell easily.

I just ordered the Salk Song 3 encores and am in waiting purgatory as it's a slow process, but well worth it.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Not much worth considering unless i go big box brand. If i did, I’d probably chose Bowers and Wilkins or maybe Martin Logan motion series. Them Grand Verus II towers I’ve seen online look gorgeous.reviews seem stellar too. I’ve strongly considered them. They also get the WAF. I feel your pain! I’m trying to upgrade and my head is spinning from all the different brands! It’s defintely torment!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey everyone! New to the forums and looking for some opinions for a new receiver and speaker system upgrade.
First, I’m used to Onkyo, though, i don’t know how their new stuff is with pioneer. My choices so far are the rz series (onkyoneer) or something from denon or Marantz perhaps? I plan on doing Atmos eventually (in ceiling) My room is roughly 18x21 and I’ll be using this setup for 50/50 movies and music. Ive read a lot of reviews about internet direct vs big box stores... and, well, that leads me to my speaker question... i really like the sound of B&W 683s2 at Best Buy. But then i hear of Ascend acoustics and Aperion grand Verus. Both look incredible... So this leads me here, who has experience with the listed? Who may recommend better? I understand speakers are subjective, but i have pretty average hearing. Usually what sounds awesome to most other, I’ll agree with!
There are a lot of directions you can go....$2k is a solid budget for a floorstander.

B&W 683s2...I've owned a pair of 800 series B&Ws for over 20 yrs...the 600 series are decent speakers really nearly any speaker wearing the B&W badge will be decent. At this price point, I think you can do better...If you like the B&W sound and you will eventually have subs...I'd look for a used pr of 800 series...you'll probably find the 804N or maybe a 804D around that price or near it...leaps and bounds SQ upgrade over the 683s2 imo. The only problem is the 800 series CC can be expensive as you get into the diamond tweeter models.

Other OEM speakers I might look at.

Monitor Audio Bronze...500...$2400 pr roughly slightly more than your budget, the 300 ($2000 pr) has a little less bass but again if you're going to have subs. Either one of these I'd choose over the 683s2.

Post #4...mentioned the Salk Towers.

If you're not in a hurry, these speakers will deliver SQ far beyond their pricepoint...Accuracy and detail are what these speakers are all about...the cabinet finishing sets them apart from the Philharmonic BMRs...if cosmetics matter a great deal you cannot do much better than the Salk Tower.

I have pair of 3 way Salks and just floored by the SQ....If you'd like something quicker but don't want to sacrifice SQ...the BMRs in standard cabinets is a solid option.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
There are a lot of directions you can go....$2k is a solid budget for a floorstander.

B&W 683s2...I've owned a pair of 800 series B&Ws for over 20 yrs...the 600 series are decent speakers really nearly any speaker wearing the B&W badge will be decent. At this price point, I think you can do better...If you like the B&W sound and you will eventually have subs...I'd look for a used pr of 800 series...you'll probably find the 804N or maybe a 804D around that price or near it...leaps and bounds SQ upgrade over the 683s2 imo. The only problem is the 800 series CC can be expensive as you get into the diamond tweeter models.

Other OEM speakers I might look at.

Monitor Audio Bronze...500...$2400 pr roughly slightly more than your budget, the 300 ($2000 pr) has a little less bass but again if you're going to have subs. Either one of these I'd choose over the 683s2.

Post #4...mentioned the Salk Towers.

If you're not in a hurry, these speakers will deliver SQ far beyond their pricepoint...Accuracy and detail are what these speakers are all about...the cabinet finishing sets them apart from the Philharmonic BMRs...if cosmetics matter a great deal you cannot do much better than the Salk Tower.

I have pair of 3 way Salks and just floored by the SQ....If you'd like something quicker but don't want to sacrifice SQ...the BMRs in standard cabinets is a solid option.
The salk looks very nice, I’ll run it by the miss and see how she like them. What would be your take on Polk LSIM 705? I can get those 50% off right now. 1500 pair

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The salk looks very nice, I’ll run it by the miss and see how she like them. What would be your take on Polk LSIM 705? I can get those 50% off right now. 1500 pair
To be honest it's been a while since I've listened to Polk floorstanders and it wasn't the 705 so I don't have an opinion on them.

You mentioned ML, or someone did...for a budget minded buyer that wants good SQ from an OEM speaker...I like the Motion 40 nice neutral sound...don't be fooled by the larger 60...you get more bass, but the mids are muddy in comparison to the 40 imo. With a nice sub (or two) this is not a bad choice at all.

Generally speaking...the drivers and xovers in the Salks and the Phils are designed to deliver a transparent signal with all the detail that is in the music/movie, etc. If sold thru traditional retail channels the Song Towers are more like $3800 to $4k depending on the finish...so imo you're getting audiophile grade speakers for $2k. They will most likely outperform any OEM speaker in the price range.

The down side is there's a wait time involved.

I hate to sound like a Salk fanboy, but...I am.

Natural cherry...Song3-A

1527875692127.png

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Picking speakers first will dictate the type of avr you need and the features you want. Depending on how loud you like to listen, and how far away your seating is will determine what type of power you need to power the speakers to those levels.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

As for speakers, ID companies typically are more bang for your buck. Have you considered bookshelves and subs now?

At your current price point and towers
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

https://revelspeakers.com/productdetail/~/product/f36.html

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower

The ascends would be my choice out of the ones you mentioned.
I'm sure you be very very happy with any of these fine speakers above. I was debating between the Song tower's and the BMR's several months ago and went with the BMRs. So I can only speak for the BMR's but they are awesome speakers for the price. However if you did get them I would recommend adding in a nice sub to "feel" the music. IMO, without the sub the BMR's sound a bit dry but they sound even better with the sub in play. I think your're able to hear the true full range of the music down to 20hz. Also note, just because the manufacturer says it can play down to 20hz it does not mean the speakers will have the impact of a dedicated subwoofer.

Just curious, out of the speakers listed above what do you guys think has the most powerful and clean bass?

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
That’s one awesome looking setup! It was me that mentioned the ML i love the way the 40s look, and B&W, unfortunately Best Buy is all i have (3 hours away). And Barney miller. I listened to 10,000 dollar paradigm speakers and was not impressed. I haven’t met a paradigm speaker i like. And goldenear to me was just meh.... I’ve mentioned Aperion Grand Verus ll... nobody has been bringing them up? They’ve got tons of awards and positive reviews and flat out look sexy.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I'm sure you be very very happy with any of these fine speakers above. I was debating between the Song tower's and the BMR's several months ago and went with the BMRs. So I can only speak for the BMR's but they are awesome speakers for the price. However if you did get them I would recommend adding in a nice sub to "feel" the music. IMO, without the sub the BMR's sound a bit dry but they sound even better with the sub in play. I think your're able to hear the true full range of the music down to 20hz. Also note, just because the manufacturer says it can play down to 20hz it does not mean the speakers will have the impact of a dedicated subwoofer.

Just curious, out of the speakers listed above what do you guys think has the most powerful and clean bass?
You mention subs, but i listen to 2.0 in direct with music usually.... is this not the best way to do this? Have i been doing it wrong the whole time? Lol I’ve heard people say use stereo then eq and others say direct only.... so confusing!!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
You mention subs, but i listen to 2.0 in direct with music usually.... is this not the best way to do this? Have i been doing it wrong the whole time? Lol I’ve heard people say use stereo then eq and others say direct only.... so confusing!!
You are correct, 2.0 in direct mode is the best for not altering the original music. But for speakers that that play full range with powerful bass, your looking at spending 4k+. For example, check out gene's speakers they have built in 3 built in subs in each speakers but I think his speakers cost 60k or something like that.

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
You are correct, 2.0 in direct mode is the best for not altering the original music. But for speakers that that play full range with powerful bass, your looking at spending 4k+. For example, check out gene's speakers they have built in 3 built in subs in each speakers but I think his speakers cost 60k or something like that.
What about the def tech bp 9060? They’re on sale right now for 1600 a pair with 10” bass drivers. I heard great things about them.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
What about the def tech bp 9060? They’re on sale right now for 1600 a pair with 10” bass drivers. I heard great things about them.
Oh wow! I really don't know much about these speakers so I'm not the best person to ask. But from looking at the specs they look good: Frequency Response18-49k Hz - it's pretty cool that they have a built in bass radiator and subwoofer. :cool: Maybe check if they have an in home trial? You may love em & have found your perfect speakers. I said this on one of the other treads, it's really all about what you think sounds best. My advice would be to try to listen to as many speakers as you can, especially if you plan on keep them for a long time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis