Receiver and speakers upgrade

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I finally listened to the new digms (as well as several other manufacturers) and i was completely sold on them. They took tech from the persona series from my understanding and made it a friendlier price range. Music sounded incredible. They bested the Bowers and Wilkins i was listening too as well. I’m sold on this new line as my upgrade. They definitely sound better than the Polk a7 i used to have and i believe would be a huge upgrade compared to.
I pick them up next week when they come in (can’t sell demo model) i got them for $1,792 out the door
Congrats!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Some of us run the sub a little hot and like it that way. I’m guilty at least. :)
Yep, you know you're not alone...I ran my Salks 2.0 for about week...nice, but not satisfying...not in a room nearly 3000 cu ft anyway.

I'm +3db post Audyssey...you feel it as much as hear it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Didn’t get one yet. I’m getting ready to order a marantz sr7011 i don’t think the 7012 is worth the price difference.
I’m not familiar with Marantz eq options. I have a Yamaha RXA2060 I’m my HT room 5.1 and a Yamaha RXV681 in my master bedroom 2.1. I had many Yamahas before that and a Sony HTIB at one point in the late 90s.
On my current Yamahas, there is a Natural eq setting that I use with straight for 2.1 , but I’m no purist, I drop into 9ch stereo dsp 5.1 in my HT room a lot. (Listening to music in a German bathtub from all my Monkey Coffins. LOL. :) ) I also run the subs hot. I am more plain in my bedroom 2.1 setup using straight and avr set with 80hz crossover on the bookshelves for the sub.

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Hi Ken.

Unless you insist on having Audyssey, I would also have a look at the new Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR which was preliminarily reviewed and looks interesting:

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a80

Cheers,
I don’t have to have audyssey, but i do like the way it performs. I’ve listened to marantz and liked how warm it was. Onkyo RZ 820 series has a banging deal right now. 599 for a super loaded down receiver. 130wpc into 8ohms. Looks like a great deal.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I’m not familiar with Marantz eq options. I have a Yamaha RXA2060 I’m my HT room 5.1 and a Yamaha RXV681 in my master bedroom 2.1. I had many Yamahas before that and a Sony HTIB at one point in the late 90s.
On my current Yamahas, there is a Natural eq setting that I use with straight for 2.1 , but I’m no purist, I drop into 9ch stereo dsp 5.1 in my HT room a lot. (Listening to music in a German bathtub from all my Monkey Coffins. LOL. :) ) I also run the subs hot. I am more plain in my bedroom 2.1 setup using straight and avr set with 80hz crossover on the bookshelves for the sub.
From what I’ve gathered, the newest Audyssey XT32 is supposed to be one of the best room correction systems available. I’ve heard ARC was the best. But I’m not spending 4,000 on a unit lol. I’ll probably keep it about 1k for an avr.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t have to have audyssey, but i do like the way it performs. I’ve listened to marantz and liked how warm it was. Onkyo RZ 820 series has a banging deal right now. 599 for a super loaded down receiver. 130wpc into 8ohms. Looks like a great deal.
As far as I am concerned, the suggestion would rather be for a Marantz, a Denon or a Yamaha. As for Onkyo, their products have had reliability problems and I'm not so sure about the reliability of their currently selling AVRs.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
As far as I am concerned, the suggestion would rather be for a Marantz, a Denon or a Yamaha. As for Onkyo, their products have had reliability problems and I'm not so sure about the reliability of their currently selling AVRs.
Denon was my second choice. I’ve read a lot of great things about the new RZ like. I believe they’ve fixed the HDMI board issues. I have an older Onkyo (Audyssey) before they went with accueq. It’s roughly 10 years old and still works great. 130wpc @6 ohms. I think 90 watts at 8ohm, so it’s a little down on power. But again, 10 years old. I looked at the new pioneer sclx502 it was loaded, but was built cheap. Knobs were plastic and squeaky, the front cover plate was also cheap plastic. Sq wasn’t as good as marantz, nor was build quality.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
From what I’ve gathered, the newest Audyssey XT32 is supposed to be one of the best room correction systems available. I’ve heard ARC was the best. But I’m not spending 4,000 on a unit lol. I’ll probably keep it about 1k for an avr.
If you're interested in the Audyssey XT32 EQ, the Marantz SR7011 is definitely a good option. Otherwise, you could have a look at the Yamaha RX-A1080 which is just a bit above your planned bugget at around $1200, with a power rating of 110w/ch at 8 ohms with 2 channels driven simultaneously. This model is coming out on the market next month. Either one would be suitable for a transparent sound performance.

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
If you're interested in the Audyssey XT32 EQ, the Marantz SR7011 is definitely a good option. Otherwise, you could have a look at the Yamaha RX-A1080 which is just a bit above your planned bugget at around $1200, with a power rating of 110w/ch at 8 ohms with 2 channels driven simultaneously. Either one would be suitable for a transparent sound performance.
I really need to look into a receiver capable of 4ohm. The new Paradigm Premiers i ordered say they’re 8ohm capable, but I’d assume either 6 or 4 ohm actually. Yamaha’s I’ve seen at Best Buy looked like they had awesome build quality. However, i didn’t listen through them. I could always up my budget. But i planned on adding an external amp later.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I really need to look into a receiver capable of 4ohm. The new Paradigm Premiers i ordered say they’re 8ohm capable, but I’d assume either 6 or 4 ohm actually. Yamaha’s I’ve seen at Best Buy looked like they had awesome build quality. However, i didn’t listen through them. I could always up my budget. But i planned on adding an external amp later.
Both the SR7011 or the Yamaha A1080, have pre-outs to enable you to add an external amp at a later date. For the external amp, I would suggest a pro audio amp from such brands as QSC or Crown. There are several post on both brands products should you wish to search.

My HT: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Both the SR7011 or the Yamaha A1080, have pre-outs to enable you to add external amps. For the external amp, I would suggest a pro audio amp from such brands as QSC or Crown. There are several post on both brands products should you wish to search.

My HT: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/
Perfect! Thanks for the info. I was looking into peach tree amps and even Emotiva. I look into the others you’ve mentioned as well.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Perfect! Thanks for the info. I was looking into peach tree amps and even Emotiva. I look into the others you’ve mentioned as well.
If you prefer the aesthetics of an audiophile amp, I would suggest a Monolith or an Outlaw rather than the other brands for their reliability and watts/$.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
If you prefer the aesthetics of an audiophile amp, I would suggest a Monolith or an Outlaw rather than the other brands for their reliability and watts/$.
I don’t really care about looks. I want sound quality and performance for a decent price. Like I’ve mentioned above, i don’t want to spend 4,000 on an amp. A Macintosh amp i tried was 4,500. It was super nice. Couldn’t justify the price.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t really care about looks. I want sound quality and performance for a decent price. Like I’ve mentioned above, i don’t want to spend 4,000 on an amp. A Macintosh amp i tried was 4,500. It was super nice. Couldn’t justify the price.
Nobody can get a noticeable improvement in amplifier sound performance beyond a certain outlay. Most of the time with expensive boutique electronic gear, you pay for the looks and the brand name.
The good pro audio amps as well as the Monoprice and Outlaw products have excellent specs and are as acoustically transparent as any audiophile amp on the market. Why spend extra thousands of dollars? It's more appropriate to put additional expenses on loudspeakers which still remain the weakest link in a sound system.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What would be your listening position distance from the external amplifier should you get one? Would it be installed in a cabinet or put on a shelf?

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Nobody can get a noticeable improvement in amplifier sound performance beyond a certain outlay. Most of the time with expensive boutique electronic gear, you pay for the looks and the brand name.
The good pro audio amps as well as the Monoprice and Outlaw products have excellent specs and are as acoustically transparent as any audiophile amp on the market. Why spend extra thousands of dollars? It's more appropriate to put additional expenses on loudspeakers which still remain the weakest link in a sound system.
Exactly why i would never buy such expensive amps. I’m going to limit my budget for them 1k receiver, 1k amp. I like the monoprice pretty good. Emotiva xpa2 is really catching my eye. 300wpc. Seems spec’d well enough for its price.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis