Receiver and speakers upgrade

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I'm not real sure which model he had, but I don't think they were the upper end of the line. Most people that like the B&W sound probably wouldn't care much for the Klipsch sound and vice versa....at the same time both have very loyal owners.

Not to sound like an audio snob. I said his system was nice, and it is, but not to my taste. The sub was just notably weak and watching him crank it up to show it off was amusing...again, I wasn't going to be the guy to tell him....now if he ever comes over to my place for a listen...maybe we'll talk about it then.

There are so many great direct sell subs companies now that it's hard to go wrong SVS, HSU, Rythmik among others...I went with HSU because they seemed to be a pretty good value with their 2 for deal and the sales guy was great to work with.

I bought two VTF3 mk5 instead of going with the larger VTF 15h MK2...The sales guy said the 15H mk2 will absolutely be enough sub, but ideal placement for premium performance is important. Two can offer better coverage.
They all look like fantastic subs. I think for this I’ll base it off how well it looks paired with my other speakers. The bw 683 s2 to me sound awesome paired with a marantz. I heard it in direct mode at magnolia. I also called Barney Miller (a speaker place about 2.5 hours away)
They carry B&W and apparently paradigm has a new line out called premier. The one I’m wanting to look at are the premier 800f towers. They sure look promising. 999 per tower... so, in my budget. Either way since they carry multiple brands it’d be good to compare against the Wilkins....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have 2800 cu ft roughly...and two HSU VTF 3mk5 subs...I'm picky on music. Initially I had one sub on the TV wall and the other near field behind the MLP...oh I loved it! But, the bass was very much telegraphed along the TV wall...bringing the near field sub to the TV fixed that problem...even bass now from anywhere in the room.
Shady said something similar. My longer goal is to demo some great speakers for my theater room but I may need to sell some stocks to get there. :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
They all look like fantastic subs. I think for this I’ll base it off how well it looks paired with my other speakers. The bw 683 s2 to me sound awesome paired with a marantz. I heard it in direct mode at magnolia. I also called Barney Miller (a speaker place about 2.5 hours away)
They carry B&W and apparently paradigm has a new line out called premier. The one I’m wanting to look at are the premier 800f towers. They sure look promising. 999 per tower... so, in my budget. Either way since they carry multiple brands it’d be good to compare against the Wilkins....
Sounds like the 683 have struck a chord with you...have not heard the new Paradigm you spoke of.

2channel lover

Shady said something similar. My longer goal is to demo some great speakers for my theater room but I may need to sell some stocks to get there. :)
Yep...Shady is the one who turned me on to it....I'm spending mostly on music now, but if I add anything else to this system it would be a 3rd sub and put it near field....no hurry though.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Sounds like the 683 have struck a chord with you...have not heard the new Paradigm you spoke of.
The way that Doug (Barney Miller) spoke, is that they literally just came out. He said they’ve been set up for a few days now in a room. I was on digms website a couple weeks ago and they weren’t on there. Now they’re front row and center. Doug also stated that they’re a pretty big upgrade from their Monitor line.... So, I’m curious now lol. So many choices!:eek:

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Not gonna lie, every time i hear B&W at Best Buy, I’m in awe. I’ve heard lots of speakers, and a lot i have not... but for some reason i keep going to B&W. They’re definitely my go to for comparing others...

2channel lover

The way that Doug (Barney Miller) spoke, is that they literally just came out. He said they’ve been set up for a few days now in a room. I was on digms website a couple weeks ago and they weren’t on there. Now they’re front row and center. Doug also stated that they’re a pretty big upgrade from their Monitor line.... So, I’m curious now lol. So many choices!:eek:
The Monitor 9 was a nice little go to speaker. I forgot the v I listened to but I've had a Paradigm center (still do have) and sub. Big upgrade huh...that would have me curious as well.

2channel lover

Not gonna lie, every time i hear B&W at Best Buy, I’m in awe. I’ve heard lots of speakers, and a lot i have not... but for some reason i keep going to B&W. They’re definitely my go to for comparing others...
You probably are doing it this way, but for speakers you can demo...use the same material every time and if you can, take notes... it will help to discern the differences.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
You probably are doing it this way, but for speakers you can demo...use the same material every time and if you can, take notes... it will help to discern the differences.
Absolutely, i keep my info stored in my iPhone under notes. Since it’s always on me. I usually demo Dave Mathews band. To me they have very nice studio recording and are also dynamic with the different instruments. I also throw in John Mayer live in LA which also sounds very nice. But for the most part, out of the music i demo, i usually tend to the few songs I’ve picked for critical listening between speakers.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
...Can't wait to get my hands on those babies...
Not sure about the sound.... Although, I’ll know how they sound in the next couple weeks when i make my way out there. They sure look good though. To me anyway.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yep...Shady is the one who turned me on to it....I'm spending mostly on music now, but if I add anything else to this system it would be a 3rd sub and put it near field....no hurry though.
I now have the Yamaha RXA2060 and UHD but I want to get really good speakers next at least the front 3. I really like the look of the Revel F35 and F36 in white. I think the F35 is probably the one I would try first.

2channel lover

I now have the Yamaha RXA2060 and UHD but I want to get really good speakers next at least the front 3. I really like the look of the Revel F35 and F36 in white. I think the F35 is probably the one I would try first.
I haven't heard the F35/36, but I have heard the F206/208 a good deal. If the Concerta line is much like the Performa line...the 36 probably has more bass I'm assuming...with the subs you're running the 35 will likely do great in your place.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I just came across Chane speakers. Apparently they have a new tower out (a5.4) they look nice. Does anyone have experience with this company?

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
The Monitor 9 was a nice little go to speaker. I forgot the v I listened to but I've had a Paradigm center (still do have) and sub. Big upgrade huh...that would have me curious as well.
I finally listened to the new digms (as well as several other manufacturers) and i was completely sold on them. They took tech from the persona series from my understanding and made it a friendlier price range. Music sounded incredible. They bested the Bowers and Wilkins i was listening too as well. I’m sold on this new line as my upgrade. They definitely sound better than the Polk a7 i used to have and i believe would be a huge upgrade compared to.
I pick them up next week when they come in (can’t sell demo model) i got them for $1,792 out the door

2channel lover

I finally listened to the new digms (as well as several other manufacturers) and i was completely sold on them. They took tech from the persona series from my understanding and made it a friendlier price range. Music sounded incredible. They bested the Bowers and Wilkins i was listening too as well. I’m sold on this new line as my upgrade. They definitely sound better than the Polk a7 i used to have and i believe would be a huge upgrade compared to.
I pick them up next week when they come in (can’t sell demo model) i got them for $1,792 out the door
Congrats!

While I think most floor standers under $2k will probably be a little light in the bass dept, blended with a nice sub, you can get great SQ.

2channel lover

Says the low freq extension of these is 27 hz (din)
Some companies like playing around with these figures.

I demoed the Persona 3F along with a pair of Revel F208s 2.0 and 2.1...the 3F reportedly extended down to 24 Hz...and the F208 31Hz...in some A/B comparisons the F208 seem to go lower...easily.

But...in 2.1 mode the 3F shined as you might expect for double the price, but the low end was not what I was expecting given the published low end extension.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Some of us run the sub a little hot and like it that way. I’m guilty at least. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis