Odd Speakers and Other Curiosities

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is fluence a white van brand ? Why are knock off speakers so common
Bic
Bose ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are actually not bad at all for the money.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
View attachment 36005
how about these big boys?
These look like 1980 JBL parts we used to build PA equipment for local bands. I built a 30" Electrovoice subwoofer back then with 10' dual transmission lines. I was testing it at my parents house with a signal generator pegged at 16 Hz and all the windows in the house started moving big time. Mom came running out wanting to know what was destroying the house. :cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, these are different. KEF 104/2s.

kef-104-2.jpg

Well... that's what they looked like new. These images are from the ad. He's asking $600 for them. No thanks! lol

00Z0Z_cgZwWhwSF21_600x450.jpg
00M0M_6X2ETqXYgWy_600x450.jpg
00J0J_2NhLB0GgmK4_600x450.jpg

So I did look these up tho. That port looks huge to me so I knew these weren't typical. I guess they're a band pass type of design? There are a couple of upward firing 8" woofers mounted inside the cab, operating in opposite phase in separate enclosures with about 18" of air between them. Pretty cool. Those woofers are also known to sag over time and dry rot. More likely than not they'd need to be refoamed, if not replaced.

Here's a link to one of the articles I found about them. That's where I got the "good" image too.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So poges, part of the title is “other curiosities”. So... here is one oddity that is not a speaker, but imo, is beautiful, and in the right room would be quite artistic.
I know you’ll like it...
Cool as sh$t bro! but do they sound like it? never seen a set made out of barrels.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, these are different. KEF 104/2s.

View attachment 36013

Well... that's what they looked like new. These images are from the ad. He's asking $600 for them. No thanks! lol

View attachment 36016View attachment 36015View attachment 36014

So I did look these up tho. That port looks huge to me so I knew these weren't typical. I guess they're a band pass type of design? There are a couple of upward firing 8" woofers mounted inside the cab, operating in opposite phase in separate enclosures with about 18" of air between them. Pretty cool. Those woofers are also known to sag over time and dry rot. More likely than not they'd need to be refoamed, if not replaced.

Here's a link to one of the articles I found about them. That's where I got the "good" image too.

Always wanted to check a pair of these out, they have many fans....

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Are those Wilsons? They sure look like Wilsons!

Check these out. JBL speakers with "4530 bass scoops". Look like pro speakers or possibly a custom job. Seller is claiming sensitivity of 109 dB 1w/1m! Asking $1500.
View attachment 36137

About the JBLs, they probably were custom made. They surely are not that accurate and they probably don't efficiently reproduce below 50 Hz. I wouldn't recommend them.

FIY, here is a link to a JBL library. This link also covers some of vintage Altec products as well. The names Altec and JBL are somehow related as Altec had bought the Lansing Manufacturing Company which had financial difficulties in 1941. But in 1946, James Bullough Lansing left Altec on the day his contract expired and his company was given a new name, the James B. Lansing Sound Inc. Eventually, it became shortened to JBL.

James Lansing was noted as an innovative engineer, but a poor businessman. As a result of deteriorating business conditions and personal problems, he took his own life by hanging himself in his home in San Marcos on September 24, 1949.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
WOw. again, I have no idea what that might sound like. But if you like lavender, I guess these hit a home run in the design dept.
Those are speakers which Liberace might have liked if they performed well. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis