Odd Speakers and Other Curiosities

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I want to listen to those! What type of design is that? The "horn" almost looks like a brass musical instrument in its shape. Tuba comes to mind.
I guess he didn't have room for a subwoofer and a pair of NHT Super Zero's.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
1588273342512.png

I had a pair of these Allison 6's way back in the early 80s. Good sound in a small apt and they looked great on Bose pedestal stands! Small 2 way bookshelves designed to be placed against a wall.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd like a pair of those to replace my rear channel speakers. Do they come with brackets to hang them on the wall?
If you can mount them on your ceiling facing down, they might make for good Atmos overhead speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I want to listen to those! What type of design is that? The "horn" almost looks like a brass musical instrument in its shape. Tuba comes to mind.
Well a tuba is a horn so you can think of that speaker as a drive unit instead of the mouthpiece of a giant tuba.

In my view Lowther drive units have to be horn loaded or they really do not sound good at all.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The Jordan Watts Flagon loudspeaker.

They are excellent speakers as well. I'm using four of those drivers in small boxes as my Atmos speakers, and they are giving a very good account of themselves.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These Merlin TSM-MMM books have been available on CL in my area for as long as I've been looking for $1695. They're not overly odd, but they do have me curious as I'm not familiar with the maker and a $1700 asking price is pretty bold for used 2-way books.

00404_9hHYAbnL1TW_600x450.jpg
01616_8EF1xDYHQ2U_600x450.jpg
00505_bdGI6OiLh2T_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also found these Infinity Reference Standard II's for $1800. Recently refoamed and otherwise in pristine shape.
00D0D_3kXPWhVCk0H_600x450.jpg
00b0b_83oyRmLNPb9_600x450.jpg
00X0X_42Yv46diSoQ_600x450.jpg
00e0e_jJDfsSkqoNq_600x450.jpg
00f0f_d2t4ojdYX7W_600x450.jpg

They do look impressive!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like some audiophoolery going on with the amps and cables....pass!
Oh I've passed on them many times now. I'm wondering if it's some way to customize your own house curve or... hold up...

Or you're absolutely correct! It's like you have a spider sense for this crap! Ha ha.

RC Networks: All Merlin TSMs come with a pair of RC Networks. What are RC Networks? They are simple a resistor capacitor network (sometimes referred to as a Zobel Network in design circles) that mounts across your speaker terminals. The network acts to terminate the speakers load out past the audio band up into RF regions (this keeps amplifiers a bit more happy) and they also act a shunt or load for RFI energy that appears at the speakers terminals (whether picked up by the speaker, the speaker cables, are fed from further up the line in your HiFi system). The result is a cleaner and more uniform sound from the speaker/amplifier system. Merlin has learned over the years that the quality and type of parts used to make the RC Network are very important and do have a impact on the sound. The Standard RC Networks are made with a Cryogenically treated Hovland capacitor and a Caddock Metal Film deposition resistor and Cardas wiring. The Master RC Networks use the (very good & expensive) hand made Deuland capacitors (see BAM Differences above for the impact these caps have in the Master BAM – they do much the same thing here) and cost much more than the Standard RC’s.

I really was trying to follow that, then I got to the "Cryogenically treated" part...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh I've passed on them many times now. I'm wondering if it's some way to customize your own house curve or... hold up...

Or you're absolutely correct! It's like you have a spider sense for this crap! Ha ha.

RC Networks: All Merlin TSMs come with a pair of RC Networks. What are RC Networks? They are simple a resistor capacitor network (sometimes referred to as a Zobel Network in design circles) that mounts across your speaker terminals. The network acts to terminate the speakers load out past the audio band up into RF regions (this keeps amplifiers a bit more happy) and they also act a shunt or load for RFI energy that appears at the speakers terminals (whether picked up by the speaker, the speaker cables, are fed from further up the line in your HiFi system). The result is a cleaner and more uniform sound from the speaker/amplifier system. Merlin has learned over the years that the quality and type of parts used to make the RC Network are very important and do have a impact on the sound. The Standard RC Networks are made with a Cryogenically treated Hovland capacitor and a Caddock Metal Film deposition resistor and Cardas wiring. The Master RC Networks use the (very good & expensive) hand made Deuland capacitors (see BAM Differences above for the impact these caps have in the Master BAM – they do much the same thing here) and cost much more than the Standard RC’s.

I really was trying to follow that, then I got to the "Cryogenically treated" part...
LOL yeah, this creepy feeling comes over me when I see certain descriptors.....more here https://sigsound.com/product-lines/merlin-music-systems/

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis