Odd Speakers and Other Curiosities

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Okay I've never seen these before, but they look very interesting. I'll bet they sound really nice. ClairAudient 1+1 V2 for $1150.

View attachment 37918

Also found these B&W Red Birds Eye speakers for $2700. Out of my price range right now, but I've never heard of them before.

View attachment 37919

These JBL L250 TIs for $4500 are unusual looking speakers. Again, never heard of them before.

View attachment 37920View attachment 37921

What on earth is all that??

Mackie powered sub for $350. Unusual design.

View attachment 37923

These are all Craigslist finds, btw. I haven't gone through CL in a while.
In before the hoards saying how much B&W sucks - those are some awesome speakers and a great find! Yeah, $2700 seems a bit steep for 20+ year old speakers, but they can go for a lot more.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In before the hoards saying how much B&W sucks - those are some awesome speakers and a great find! Yeah, $2700 seems a bit steep for 20+ year old speakers, but they can go for a lot more.
I'm really not surprised. They shout "quality" to me, just looking at them. If $2700 is a good deal how much have you seen them for?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Check these out for a mere $11k... Joseph Audio Pearl 3 way towers.

00Z0Z_gEToKrIe3Jd_0t20lM_600x450.jpg

That's gonna be one hard Craigslist sale. I mean... sheesh.

Here are the matching books. JA Pulsars. $3k for the pair. I've never heard of Joseph Audio.

00S0S_gFhkJ5XAPEN_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
00505_3chek0FhMDR_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I'm really not surprised. They shout "quality" to me, just looking at them. If $2700 is a good deal how much have you seen them for?
$3095 (kind of odd pricing) on Audiogon:

And a pair with stands on Ebay for $3500.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Check these out for a mere $11k... Joseph Audio Pearl 3 way towers.

View attachment 37926

That's gonna be one hard Craigslist sale. I mean... sheesh.

Here are the matching books. JA Pulsars. $3k for the pair. I've never heard of Joseph Audio.

View attachment 37928View attachment 37927
Joseph Audio has long been a darling on the pages of Stereophile, TAS, etc...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Joseph Audio speakers tend to measure well: measurements for the Pulsars. I have heard a few models from them and they always sounded great to me. They are a pricey but legitimately good brand.
Once, at an AV show in Montreal several years ago, I listened to a pair of Joseph's speakers. They sounded great until he put on a pipe organ track which overloaded their bass handling capacity and distorted.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
No clue what this might be worth, but maybe @TLS Guy will. An old reel to reel for sale. Comes wih a collection of albums too from the looks of it. $450 for the whole kit n kaboodle.

View attachment 37929View attachment 37930View attachment 37931View attachment 37932View attachment 37933

How fun! Maybe worth it as a conversation piece... Looks like it retailed for $600 back in the day.
1594517426644.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How fun! Maybe worth it as a conversation piece... Looks like it retailed for $600 back in the day.
View attachment 37937
Yes, Ampex were very good machines. The one posted is obviously a four track machine, for those 4 track tapes. I have quite a collection also.

However when Willi Studer introduced his solenoid controlled desks, with Tach controlled motors he swept all before him. So the great mechanical deck manufacturers went broke. Some like Ferrgoraph, Brenell and a few others tried to produce decks with similar technology. However they were disasters and gave no end of trouble, especially the Ferrograph Logic 7. The Japanese seemed to get the hang of it, and undercut Revox and so became popular. However they were never in the class of Revox/Studer. I think Willi's glass heads were the only ones with response down to 20 KHz. Others all started rolling off at around 30 KHz.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

ass-speaker.jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No clue what this might be worth, but maybe @TLS Guy will. An old reel to reel for sale. Comes wih a collection of albums too from the looks of it. $450 for the whole kit n kaboodle.

View attachment 37929View attachment 37930View attachment 37931View attachment 37932View attachment 37933

It looks like there are two different reel to reels being sold. The first image shows a silver case with a counter between the reels and the later picture shows a black case w/o counter that appears to be built into a console?
At a minimum, you can impress people by setting up the reel to reel running when they come over (while you stream music through your system)! They'll never know the difference (unless they are still there when the tape runs out)!
There is something special about those two big reels slowly rotating while you are listening!

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
These are new...
1595002169370.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So these are a bit different... MB Quart QL T60 sub and T30 speakers.

00U0U_kxYG2ViI5xf_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00606_5u03MUz1sEa_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Normally I'd skip right over something that looks like that but I remember MB Quart from my car stereo days and they were highly prized at the time. I've never seen these before tho. They look like they'd work pretty nice as a desktop system.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Then these beasts for almost 5k... JBL L-250TIs. not anything I'd want, but interesting nonetheless. I'll bet there are some guys out there who'd love these old speakers.

00000_1Putt9lH4kL_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00d0d_9brjLMa303x_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I don't know what all these knobs and buttons are about, but I'm assuming eq and/or crossover settings?

01212_bXtSv2xKXBX_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Then these beasts for almost 5k... JBL L-250TIs. not anything I'd want, but interesting nonetheless. I'll bet there are some guys out there who'd love these old speakers.

View attachment 43960View attachment 43961

I don't know what all these knobs and buttons are about, but I'm assuming eq and/or crossover settings?

View attachment 43962
Those are some classic JBL speakers. It might sound like a cliche to say this, but in this case, it's true: those are big in Japan. The Japanese love their classic JBLs.

I believe the bottom image is jumper posts that when connected can attenuate certain bands, like they shave off 3dB from the tweeter output for example, etc.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, Ampex were very good machines. The one posted is obviously a four track machine, for those 4 track tapes. I have quite a collection also.

However when Willi Studer introduced his solenoid controlled desks, with Tach controlled motors he swept all before him. So the great mechanical deck manufacturers went broke. Some like Ferrgoraph, Brenell and a few others tried to produce decks with similar technology. However they were disasters and gave no end of trouble, especially the Ferrograph Logic 7. The Japanese seemed to get the hang of it, and undercut Revox and so became popular. However they were never in the class of Revox/Studer. I think Willi's glass heads were the only ones with response down to 20 KHz. Others all started rolling off at around 30 KHz.
I'm pretty sure Otari was able to handle the lowest frequencies, too. Recording studios used those of they didn't have Revox. What speed was used for hitting 20Hz?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are some classic JBL speakers. It might sound like a cliche to say this, but in this case, it's true: those are big in Japan. The Japanese love their classic JBLs.

I believe the bottom image is jumper posts that when connected can attenuate certain bands, like they shave off 3dB from the tweeter output for example, etc.
Yup, that doesn't surprise me at all. Those speakers just ooze "must have vintage" for the right collector. I figured those were either pots or jumpers or something like that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found these too. Apparently bass modules for tower speakers and they're made by Monster? As in the douchey cable company? I didn't know they dabbled in speakers too. Are they as overpriced as their cables are?

00z0z_gLnw1Jsivf4_07A05p_1200x900.jpg
00e0e_l6rq6qrhjqZ_04m02Q_600x450.jpg

00F0F_g719cBODuIm_0jg0pO_1200x900.jpg

12.jpg

Again, nothing I want but I've not seen these before.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis