Odd Speakers and Other Curiosities

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked up a set just a month ago.

No grills so

in process of making some custom grills now.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
They're very impressive looking! They have good pedigree too. How do you like them? They look like they could be actual full range speakers.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Been running them two channel only for about a month. Picked up an Outlaw 7500 amp at the same time to drive them. Woofers and mids have been refoamed. EMITS are in great shape, as are the cabinets.

Plan on breaking them down soon to refinish them after I complete the grills and clean /lubricate the pots.

Overall they sound as good as I remember them back in the 80's. Once everything is complete maybe take some sweeps with REW and see how they measure up.

Specifications:

Frequency Response: 36 -32,000 Hz ±2 dB Sugested for use with Amplifier of: 35 - 250 watts per channel

RMS Drivers (each channel)
Woofers: Two 10" (25 cm) with polypropylene cones in Infinity/Watkins dual-drive configuration.

Midrange: Three 5" dipole drivers with polypropylene cones in dipole configuration.

Tweeters: Two EMIT, one of them facing rearward

Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms

Dimensions (W x H x D): 580 x 1220 x 460 mm (22 ¾" x 48" x 18") Weight (Packed): 45,5 kg (100 lbs)
Finish: Solid oak diffractions wings. Oak veneer over high-density particle board woofer enclosure.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, Miller and Kreisel speakers. I keep coming across them and dismiss because they're pricey for what they are. I'm not familiar with them either so that makes them oddballs in my experience. Here are 2 examples available in my area now.

A satellite speaker? Kinda bulky for a sat, lol.
00c0c_6NSOEWOlzqE_600x450.jpg
00808_7Ac4hFAkAjR_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_1zdbexnyCDR_600x450.jpg
00a0a_de232F18yYC_600x450.jpg

All that foam looks like something the owner added on their own...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I picked up a set just a month ago.

No grills so

in process of making some custom grills now.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Nice! Those Infinity's were some of the most highly regarded speakers of their time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, Miller and Kreisel speakers. I keep coming across them and dismiss because they're pricey for what they are. I'm not familiar with them either so that makes them oddballs in my experience. Here are 2 examples available in my area now.

A satellite speaker? Kinda bulky for a sat, lol.
View attachment 35937View attachment 35936

View attachment 35939View attachment 35938

All that foam looks like something the owner added on their own...
No experience but the older M&K stuff was pretty good by most accounts, and early adopters of sat/sub systems.....the latest resurrection of the brand not so much....maybe this would be helpful https://www.kreiselsound.com/timeline.php

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh I've passed on them many times now. I'm wondering if it's some way to customize your own house curve or... hold up...

Or you're absolutely correct! It's like you have a spider sense for this crap! Ha ha.

RC Networks: All Merlin TSMs come with a pair of RC Networks. What are RC Networks? They are simple a resistor capacitor network (sometimes referred to as a Zobel Network in design circles) that mounts across your speaker terminals. The network acts to terminate the speakers load out past the audio band up into RF regions (this keeps amplifiers a bit more happy) and they also act a shunt or load for RFI energy that appears at the speakers terminals (whether picked up by the speaker, the speaker cables, are fed from further up the line in your HiFi system). The result is a cleaner and more uniform sound from the speaker/amplifier system. Merlin has learned over the years that the quality and type of parts used to make the RC Network are very important and do have a impact on the sound. The Standard RC Networks are made with a Cryogenically treated Hovland capacitor and a Caddock Metal Film deposition resistor and Cardas wiring. The Master RC Networks use the (very good & expensive) hand made Deuland capacitors (see BAM Differences above for the impact these caps have in the Master BAM – they do much the same thing here) and cost much more than the Standard RC’s.

I really was trying to follow that, then I got to the "Cryogenically treated" part...
Zobel networks are legit.......the cryo stuff is snake oil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Zobel networks are legit.......the cryo stuff is snake oil
I'm familiar with Zobel networks (read up on them when I had my Deftech SM55s, which use the same).

They way I understand it, on the Merlins it's basically a crossover/filter (cryogenically treated!!!) you can adjust by changing the wiring scheme on the outside of the cab, right?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm familiar with Zobel networks (read up on them when I had my Deftech SM55s, which use the same).

They way I understand it, on the Merlins it's basically a crossover/filter (cryogenically treated!!!) you can adjust by changing the wiring scheme on the outside of the cab, right?
I'm not sure what Merlin is trying to accomplish there, and it seems odd that it is mounted external.

Classically, Zobel Network is used to counteract a phase shift to get a purely resistive load as seen by the amp.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Look at my Avatar. It shows the impedance and phase angle curves on a 2-way speaker box which I built 5 years ago. Obviously, that speaker design was easy to drive.

I always add a Zobel network in my passive crossover designs unless the size and the cost of the required capacitor become inconsistent with the cost of the other components.

An engineer whom I knew once mentioned to me that Dynaudio used to, but I don't know if they still do, add Zobel networks for all drivers in their passive crossover designs, and even on their tweeters.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Never heard of these before. If I had money to burn I'd give em a shot. Looks to be undervalued at $800 honestly.

The cabinets remind me a little bit of my Ultra towers.

*Edit: Those do look very nice. I notice they have a contour switch to adjust for some possible room modes too. Are those usually more gimmicky or actually useful when designed and implemented correctly?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I guess site longevity has its perks: I posted this same picture in a similar thread back when I was either an "Audiophyte" or some such and got a "Dumb" rating for it... :D
It's probably from where I downloaded the photo. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The cabinets remind me a little bit of my Ultra towers.

*Edit: Those do look very nice. I notice they have a contour switch to adjust for some possible room modes too. Are those usually more gimmicky or actually useful when designed and implemented correctly?
I tend to see such switches more often on the backs of Studio Monitors vs. consumer speakers. That tends to lead me to believe that they are useful in certain situations, like non-ideal placement options.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
tower.png

I saw these the other day. There are some interesting speakers being created by really small boutique companies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis