New 21" "Sub" Driver form Dayton Audio!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Dayton Audio have just introduced this 21" "Sub" Driver. These are its specs.

Now before all you sub enthusiasts drool, note that this is a highly sensitive 997db), relatively high Fs (28 Hz), low Qts (0.27) driver. So this driver is in no way suitable for a domestic sub. Note that it starts to roll of at 50 Hz. I suppose you might do a sealed alignment with massive Eq. The bass would be tight as a drum.

However this is clearly a commercial driver. It has absolutely the perfect parameters for a massive exponential horn enclosure the size of a Kiosk to pull up the bottom end.

Two or three of these could fill a huge auditorium without breaking a sweat with awesome SQ. By the looks of the FR it looks as if it be crossed at 400 to 500 Hz range, which is perfect for an active biamped enclosure, because that is the power divide. You could couple it with a modern sectoral horn of the type JBL now specialize in. Alternatively you could top it out with a massive vertical linear array.

It almost tempts one to go looking for the right commission to design it!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Now before all you sub enthusiasts drool, So this driver is in no way suitable for a domestic sub.
What if its my Birthday and Van Halen is coming to play?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Whose Van Halen?
Whose? Who is? Whose? Good famous US rock band....you'd know nothing about this of course. I had the pleasure of arranging transport by air for their first big world tour with at the time the biggest kit airfreighted for such. Never a huge fan, tho. Can be fun.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I got the email about this from PE and then went to check it out. Wasn't very impressed with the specs for anything approaching home use. Recommended sealed enclosure f3 of ~80 Hz and recommended ported enclosure f3 of ~35 Hz means I'll be sticking to my UltiMAX for now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Whose? Who is? Whose? Good famous US rock band....you'd know nothing about this of course. I had the pleasure of arranging transport by air for their first big world tour with at the time the biggest kit airfreighted for such. Never a huge fan, tho. Can be fun.
That reply was a wind up!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I got the email about this from PE and then went to check it out. Wasn't very impressed with the specs for anything approaching home use. Recommended sealed enclosure f3 of ~80 Hz and recommended ported enclosure f3 of ~35 Hz means I'll be sticking to my UltiMAX for now.
Most pro audio subs don't dig below 35-40 Hz. Some of the exceptions are the subs manufactured by Danley Sound Laboratories:

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
You guys missed the 21” Kraken sub lol.

Some guy on AVS has already has his PSS550 subs for a week and he already has enclosures in the production phase.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis