Dayton SUB1200 vs JBL 550p on low budget system

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, the LFE+MAIN feature works with digital and two channel analog ports when using DIRECT mode or STEREO mode when front speakers are set to LARGE but does not apply to the EXT. IN 7.1 input ports.

The EXT. IN is designed for connection to devices that have 5.1/7.1 analog output ports and are already doing all of the audio processing and the denon simply acts as an amplifier with gain control for all channels. The EXT. IN 7.1 has but one feature and that is the SW level adjustment.

Check the notes on page 74. No EQ is available for use with DIRECT mode or when using the EXT. IN input source as DIRECT mode is designed to avoid any processing and the EXT. IN analog ports are isolated from digital processing altogether.

I do not know if your HTPC software is capable of a feature such as LFE+MAIN and is why I mentioned the S/PDIF port so that the Denon could do all of the processing from a digital bitstream and allow you to use Audyssey MultiEQ if you so wish.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You can try the Dayton 1500 on Amazon for a easier return. I had a 1200 as a music computer setup and it pounded pretty good to me in an medium sized studio apt I used to live.

Dayton Audio SUB-1500 15" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer https://a.co/d/5vugqoO

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@panteragstk So you're feeding surround audio to 1 RCA input on the JBL from your AVR when you're playing content via the AVR, and alternately feeding surround audio to the 2nd RCA on the JBL from your PC via a DAC when you play content from the PC. Right? Obviously not simultaneously. You' don't mention stereo music playback.

I'm struggling to figure out if this or any sub can be configured to deal with playing both a stereo signal from my AVR when I play music fed from my HTPC, and alternately a 5.1 signal also from my HTPC when I play videos with 5.1 audio content. My HTPC outputs 6 discreet channels to 6 discreet inputs on my AVR. I'll be able to pass the lows to the JBL via a single LFE RCA cable from the AVR. But then playing stereo will only involve the 2 front speakers wired to my AVR with no support from the sub. I'm toying with the idea of finding or making a switch to toggle the 2 RCA inputs on the sub between stereo preamp outs on the AVR, and the AVR's LFE jack. Have you, of has anyone here dealt with setting a sub up for dual-use HT & stereo audio playback?

I also notice you have a different 550p than most I've seen currently available. A Studio 550p. Your photo of the back panel is different from the current 550ps labeled Sub 550p I see out there pictured in my 1st post. I was under the impression that JBL just changed the name. But the 2 pictures seem to indicate there are, or were 2 different models of the 550p. Do you know what's up there?
All I'm doing is using one sub for two separate systems. Both have an RCA out for LFE, and my current sub has two inputs. I don't use them at the same time so no issues there.

I do think there is more than one version of the 550p since there are two different pictures of the plate amp out there. It's probably just a new revision rather than a totally different model. I'd wager the amp is all that's different. At least that's what it looks like.

Dynatuber

Dynatuber

Audiophyte
Unfortunately, the LFE+MAIN feature works with digital and two channel analog ports when using DIRECT mode or STEREO mode when front speakers are set to LARGE but does not apply to the EXT. IN 7.1 input ports.

The EXT. IN is designed for connection to devices that have 5.1/7.1 analog output ports and are already doing all of the audio processing and the denon simply acts as an amplifier with gain control for all channels. The EXT. IN 7.1 has but one feature and that is the SW level adjustment.

Check the notes on page 74. No EQ is available for use with DIRECT mode or when using the EXT. IN input source as DIRECT mode is designed to avoid any processing and the EXT. IN analog ports are isolated from digital processing altogether.

I do not know if your HTPC software is capable of a feature such as LFE+MAIN and is why I mentioned the S/PDIF port so that the Denon could do all of the processing from a digital bitstream and allow you to use Audyssey MultiEQ if you so wish.
Well that S/PDIF port card was sitting in a box right next to my computer. Besides a slight heart attack for a few minutes figuring out the PC wasn't booting because I somehow leaned on the switch for the AC surge protector power strip, it slipped into the MSI MB and just instantly worked! And WOW! What an improvement in sound! It took an hour of two banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to tweak things from that horrible Denon user manual. But what a sweet sound when I got it tweaked.

But now I've upped my ante to over $400 for a sub, and am looking at either the SVS PB-1000, the RSL Speedwoofer 10S MKII, or the BIC Acoustech PL-300 that @panteragstk mentioned above as a possible upgrade from his 550p. More homework. ;) Will check back here to see if folks have feedback on those.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Joy! How can you not like the SVS PB-1000? They are just plain cool.

Dynatuber

Dynatuber

Audiophyte
Joy! How can you not like the SVS PB-1000? They are just plain cool.
PB1000 is a good sub in a medium size room. Loved mine.
That $400 PB-1000 was my 1st choice after I almost sprung for 2 JBL 550ps at $380 when JBL dropped the price from $210 to $190 a few days ago. But then over on the AVS forums, premium member Zorba922 suggested that for an extra $50 the RSL Speedwoofer 10S MKII might be a slightly better option for music listening as someone who values both music and movies equally.

Then I caught panteragstk's post above saying he still plans to replace his JBL 550p with a $450 BIC Acoustech PL-300 . So I have a bit of research to do, but I'm leaning a bit toward the RSL at this point. Eager to hear feedback on those if folks aren't getting a bit burned out on this evolving thread. :oops:;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It just depends on your room. I can really only have one sub in my office, so I'm going for the best bang for my buck. The PL-300 is the right price for what I'm trying to accomplish.

However, I would have multiple subs if my room allowed for them. The question is, will multiple subs actually get you better performance? Location is important.

Dynatuber

Dynatuber

Audiophyte
Well the my Klipsch kg4s are in the corners of a 12 foot wide recess in the room. The left wall goes back 14 feet, and the right wall goes back 5 feet before the room does a jughandle, widening another 5 feet on that side. 7 & 1/2 foot ceiling. Folks have said that's pretty good positioning. They sure sound good, esp with the digital connection to my AVR now.

I could buy 2 550ps and place them in front of the kg4s as was recommended over in the AVS forum, esp. since they're on sale. But then Zorba922 suggested that for that price I should consider a single RSL Speedwoofer 10S MKII at $450, saying that at that price it ought to be about the best choice for my equal interest in both movies and music. That's what the PL-300 is going for too. Have you looked at the RSL?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd take the dual JBL subs over a single Speedwoofer10s....placement of subs you'll just have to see what works best.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It just depends on your room. I can really only have one sub in my office, so I'm going for the best bang for my buck. The PL-300 is the right price for what I'm trying to accomplish.

However, I would have multiple subs if my room allowed for them. The question is, will multiple subs actually get you better performance? Location is important.
I think for a single position a single sub can provide great results. As long as it can be placed accordingly.
I had forgotten the JBL was sealed. Deal breaker for me normally, but in a near field office situation? Could be nice.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think for a single position a single sub can provide great results. As long as it can be placed accordingly.
I had forgotten the JBL was sealed. Deal breaker for me normally, but in a near field office situation? Could be nice.
It's maybe 10 feet away from me at the most when I'm on the couch. It being sealed is why it won't dig low, and is why it may be replaced soon.

It's still a great sub, it's just not going to get anyone's attention below ~23hz or so.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis