Monoprice Monolith 7-Channel Amplifier Review

B

Bluesfox

Audiophyte
The information here is very helpful as I'm looking for a multi channel amp to round out the HT system since we're reviving the theater system after several years - our kids are now safely past the "press-the-tweeter" age. Placed a used 6BST on the main 3 fronts and that 7ch Monolith sounds absolutely perfect for the surrounds.
Mitchibo, I sent you a conversation request with my info to purchase the amplifier if available please.

Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Enthusiast
The only thing that turns me off to these is the protruding face plate design. If it was flat, had rack handles and didn't have bright white lettering, it would be a lot more attractive. Other than that they're probably the best value in power amps right now.

D

David Ash

Audiophyte
I am interested in your “still in the box” Monolith 7 amplifier.
Please PM me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't call their review bad, however the conclusion the reviewer reached speaks to my desire to buy an amp that is more suited to my taste.

I'm sure this amp is every bit the home theater beast other reviewers say it is, I'm just concerned that it just won't fulfill my goal. Link is below....

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-83-ati-monoprice-3-channel-amplifiers-page-2
These subjective reviews are so full of it IMO. It's like reading comedy. :D

2 Amps walk into a bar...... :D

"Less Air"

"Less Treble"

"More Bass"

"More Chocolatey"

"More Sweet"

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't call their review bad, however the conclusion the reviewer reached speaks to my desire to buy an amp that is more suited to my taste.

I'm sure this amp is every bit the home theater beast other reviewers say it is, I'm just concerned that it just won't fulfill my goal. Link is below....

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-83-ati-monoprice-3-channel-amplifiers-page-2
Some subjective reviews, such as Kal's, are reasonable and not so laughable but still highly subjective. I also found that the adjectives they used are quite (there are always exceptions) predictable based on the price of the products. If that amp was priced say 3X more, the adjectives used would have been different.

Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Enthusiast
Some subjective reviews, such as Kal's, are reasonable and not so laughable but still highly subjective. I also found that the adjectives they used are quite (there are always exceptions) predictable based on the price of the products. If that amp was priced say 3X more, the adjectives used would have been different.
...as well as how much $$$ the manufacturer pays to advertise in the reviewing publication.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, the new version will have balanced inputs, however from what I can glean from the Monoprice website it will not be "fully balanced".

Balancing only the input stage means the balanced signal is then processed and fed into a single-ended stage, introducing an additional stage in the signal path. Is that technique good, bad or indifferent? There is much debate over the value (from a quality and a cost perspective) of balancing the signal path for home audio at all, let alone balancing only the input stage. I'm new to this site, but there must be a thread about it in the audioholics forums somewhere.
It isn't really a "processed signal" in the classic sense, it is just how the wires are connected to go to the next stage in the circuit.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It isn't really a "processed signal" in the classic sense, it is just how the wires are connected to go to the next stage in the circuit.
You need phase convergence circuitry, but I agree that it isn't "processing" in the sense that the signals are being altered in any other way.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, the new version will have balanced inputs, however from what I can glean from the Monoprice website it will not be "fully balanced".

Balancing only the input stage means the balanced signal is then processed and fed into a single-ended stage, introducing an additional stage in the signal path. Is that technique good, bad or indifferent? There is much debate over the value (from a quality and a cost perspective) of balancing the signal path for home audio at all, let alone balancing only the input stage. I'm new to this site, but there must be a thread about it in the audioholics forums somewhere.
The fully end to end balanced power amp is the one that has more components and must be done right to get the full benefits. The one that is done to accept balanced outputs from a pre amp is much simpler to implement. I would avoid low cost power amps that are fully balanced in all stages, just because generally there is no free lunch. For pre amp, I would prefer fully balanced.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The fully end to end balanced power amp is the one that has more components and must be done right to get the full benefits. The one that is done to accept balanced outputs from a pre amp is much simpler to implement. I would avoid low cost power amps that are fully balanced in all stages, just because generally there is no free lunch. For pre amp, I would prefer fully balanced.
I don't know of any "low cost" fully balanced amplifiers from input to output. Emotiva has some of the least expensive fully differential designs but most amps that claim "balanced" are nothing more than single ended with a phase splitter on the inputs. Please give an example of an inexpensive fully balanced design as I'd like to see it. thanks.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
^ The least expensive I know of is the Outlaw 7700 at $2150 (built by ATI, not them again :))

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know of any "low cost" fully balanced amplifiers from input to output. Emotiva has some of the least expensive fully differential designs but most amps that claim "balanced" are nothing more than single ended with a phase splitter on the inputs. Please give an example of an inexpensive fully balanced design as I'd like to see it. thanks.
For power amps, it was only the Emotiva XPA-1 I had in mind at the time. ATI's least expensive model cost more but not by much. I know a lot of people would not consider those low cost and they would be right. I did a quick search, and found the TEAC AX-501 integrated amp also claimed fully balanced, but on a closer look, only the preamp section is fully balanced.

After posting I realized I should not have used the "low cost" term that is highly subjective to define. Put it this way, I am skeptical about any >200 WPC X2 and <$3,000 (list price) class AB end to end balanced amps but that's just me.

By the way, I seem to remember you have a very nice article on AH that describes the fully balanced input to output (all stages) configuration, with some sort of block diagrams or simplified schematics. I also remember the Denon pair was used as an example in that article. I wanted to link it but for some reason, could not find it via a key word search. Can you kindly provide a link please?

There are so much info on the internet but I always find those in the AH AV Research are the most informative and reliable ones, I suspect you may have some background in Quality control management, seriously..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
^ The least expensive I know of is the Outlaw 7700 at $2150 (built by ATI, not them again :))

- Rich
That's a 7X200 WPC amp. If true, and if the circuity and parts are of high enough quality to assure the full benefits (noise and distortions) are realized without any bad tradeoffs, then how can they still make a reasonable profit. Something has to give right?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

- Rich
From the Outlaw 7700 manual:

"Your new Outlaw Audio Fully-Balanced, Differential Multi-Channel Amplifier is a state-of-the-art, high performance audio component. It is built utilizing totally complementary circuitry from input to output. The high current power supply is driven by a custom-designed, dual torrodial transformers with multiple windings for each channel. Each output module has 12 discrete output devices, 30,000 uF total filter capacitance and employs an advanced Opto-coupled protection circuit. Heat management is provided not by noisy fans, but by custom-designed heatsinks for each channel.

The 7700/7500 differential design virtually eliminates cross talk, through a technology known as “common mode rejection”. Compared to single-ended designs, the 7700/7500 requires half the rail voltage for a given power allowing for increased transient performance. In addition, with a slew rate nearly double that of a comparable single-ended amp, the utmost control over transients is maintained ensuring distortion free performance. The result: an amplifier that remains unequivocally true to the source material."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis