Monoprice Monolith 7-Channel Amplifier Review

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi!!!! just a question, do you think necesary to add a monolith 7 to a Marantz sr 7002 in a medium size room? I know that It would get more power, but do I can hear any difeerence in terms of quiality in the sound for HT use? Thanks from Argentina!
Without knowing what speakers or what spl levels you're listening at....at a guess, probably not.

J

Julian P

Audiophyte
Thanks!!! to all the answers!!!! I will read the link and then compare!

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Will be interesting to see if they also enter the lower-end market and put something out to complete with the Emotiva A-500 and Outlaw 5000.

T

TMB

Audiophyte
I have a 7.2 Denon AVR 900S home theater receiver.

How do I determine whether it would work with the 7.2 Monolith 200 watt amplifier as I am not informed with component systems.

Would the Denon be the preamp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 7.2 Denon AVR 900S home theater receiver.

How do I determine whether it would work with the 7.2 Monolith 200 watt amplifier as I am not informed with component systems.

Would the Denon be the preamp?
Your Denon doesn't have the speaker channel pre-outs to use an external amp with; your avr is limited to pre-outs for the sub only. Otherwise, if your avr did have multi-ch pre-outs then it would be a simple matter of connecting the pre-outs on the avr to the inputs on the amp.....

U

User5910

Enthusiast
That’s right, I’m not packing this beast back up. That Monolith is going to stay right there. It’s found a permanent home in my setup.
Inquiring readers want to know, what are the terms of the transaction? Free? Retail? Somewhere in between?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Next generation of MonoPrice amplifiers due out late this year will be Class D...
35% more power @ 50% lower cost than the current Monolith series..

Just my $0.02... ;)

A

Asif1980

Enthusiast
Honestly i'm relatively new to pre-amps and amplifiers.

We might need 200WPC for front 3 channels but do we really need 200WPC for surround channels??

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Need to invent a living room fork lift. Maybe an adaptation to a Segue.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Right. I feel for you guys that have stairs. I nearly dropped my amp trying to unpack it. Should have found a few hobbits to help.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just re-read this article and somehow I missed that this review was done with the same speakers I have (different subs tho). I just got done doing some listening with the volume at -5. Neither my speakers nor the Monolith broke a sweat. This thing really is a beast.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wanted to report that I received a Monolith 5, and the issue this review reported about the light not coming on for 25 seconds has been resolved. The light now comes on immediately and stays on when you turn it on.
You can later hear the click of a relay which is probably when the light came on for the reviewed Monolith 7.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Indeed I haven't had any issue with it powering up properly. The Denon triggers it in about 4 or 5 seconds. Boom.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wanted to report that I received a Monolith 5, and the issue this review reported about the light not coming on for 25 seconds has been resolved. The light now comes on immediately and stays on when you turn it on.
You can later hear the click of a relay which is probably when the light came on for the reviewed Monolith 7.
Interesting. Mine lights up dimly right away, then gets brighter when you hear the relay click.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. Mine lights up dimly right away, then gets brighter when you hear the relay click.
So does mine. I never watched it when the relay clicks, but is gets brighter.
In the review, they had a bad moment! IIRC, it flashed on when they pushed the button, but then stayed off until the relay kicked in.
Many would consider the light not coming on to indicate a protection circuit had activated and might shut it off immediately for fear of further damaging the unit before the light came back on!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis