Monolith 3 Budget Amplifiers Bench Test Results!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'd settle for a red LED clipping warning light. VU meters were always sloppy and inaccurate.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd settle for a red LED clipping warning light.
Pretty much. I’ve got that on my ATI at least. Only ever had a fault once, and a reset fixed it (wasn’t output related).

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
I'd settle for a red LED clipping warning light. VU meters were always sloppy and inaccurate.
It's not about accuracy, it's about aesthetics. VU meters are cool. A clipping indicator would be a good addition to any amp though, you're right.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It's not about accuracy, it's about aesthetics. VU meters are cool. A clipping indicator would be a good addition to any amp though, you're right.
The built in limiter on my old PC-12NSD sub flashing red on a regular basis told me it was time to upgrade for sure.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That light just lets you know when you're really rocking out, bro.
No… the flashing lights out front and the pounding on your door let you know you’re really rockin’ out!
*rock horns

:p

B

bjquinn

Audiophyte
So wait, whatever happened to the 7100? Did it ever resolve its bench test issues? It seems to be available now, and on sale.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So wait, whatever happened to the 7100? Did it ever resolve its bench test issues? It seems to be available now, and on sale.
They cancelled it due to my bench tests and findings. I commend Monoprice for NOT bringing it to market.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
B

bjquinn

Audiophyte
Yeah, that's why I was asking. I saw it was for sale https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43866 and ON sale, and a better price/channel ratio than the other options. And I only just barely stumbled on the part of your review that said it didn't bench well. I'd seen good things about the other models, and the fact that just the 7 channel one is bad wouldn't be what you'd naively expect, so I nearly extrapolated the positive comments about the other version and bought the 7 channel version.

So I was wondering whether they fixed the issues or not. If they did, I guess at the very least you have obviously not had an opportunity to re-test.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, that's why I was asking. I saw it was for sale https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43866 and ON sale, and a better price/channel ratio than the other options. And I only just barely stumbled on the part of your review that said it didn't bench well. I'd seen good things about the other models, and the fact that just the 7 channel one is bad wouldn't be what you'd naively expect, so I nearly extrapolated the positive comments about the other version and bought the 7 channel version.

So I was wondering whether they fixed the issues or not. If they did, I guess at the very least you have obviously not had an opportunity to re-test.
I'd be careful why didn't they send it back to @gene for retesting? At the very minimum I'd speak to Monoprice about this and I'd feel a lot more comfortable in your shoes hearing back from Gene before I could ever recommend that amplifier to anyone member or non member due to the issues that came up when Gene had it for review

B

bjquinn

Audiophyte
Yep, I don't plan on buying it, I'll probably buy two of the 5 channel versions instead, but I brought it up because I saw it was available and initially wondered if that meant the issues had been resolved. Gene not knowing about it surprised me.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, I don't plan on buying it, I'll probably buy two of the 5 channel versions instead, but I brought it up because I saw it was available and initially wondered if that meant the issues had been resolved. Gene not knowing about it surprised me.
Yeah that surprised me too

N

NoMaD83

Audiophyte
They cancelled it due to my bench tests and findings. I commend Monoprice for NOT bringing it to market.
Gene,

Well, I just bought the M7100X before reading your comments on it. It definitely is available. What was the issue with them, and do you know if it has been resolved "recently"?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'd be careful why didn't they send it back to @gene for retesting? At the very minimum I'd speak to Monoprice about this and I'd feel a lot more comfortable in your shoes hearing back from Gene before I could ever recommend that amplifier to anyone member or non member due to the issues that came up when Gene had it for review
I will NOT recommend the 7CH version of this amp unless Monoprice sends me a sample to retest.

N

NoMaD83

Audiophyte
I will NOT recommend the 7CH version of this amp unless Monoprice sends me a sample to retest.
Gene,

Since I purchased this amp before reading the bench testing, I decided to reach out to Monoprice to see what they would say. This is their response.

Hi James,
Thank you for contacting Monoprice.

We're sorry for the delay in response. We received an update from the proper channel regarding our inquiry. According to the proper channel, it was determined the “issue” only occurs in extreme testing conditions and not in real-world operation under normal conditions. The testing only showed increased noise, not something like it isn’t going to work with speakers or be defective.

I hope this helps.

This sounds a bit like a cop-out answer to me, but was curious what your thoughts are. Did the problem only occur during "extreme" testing? Would it not exhibit the problem under normal listening conditions? I guess regardless, this means that they have not attempted to fix whatever the problem was.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis