Marantz SR8012 11.2CH IMAX Enhanced AV Receiver Review

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Better higher quality pre-amp? It all starts with a good pre-amp.
That is true as the preamp section can degrade the signal. Unfortunately, as Dr. Rich called them out(including D&M, Yamaha, some Onkyo/Integrated) a few years ago, that they typical used LSI (large scale ICs) in their AVRs, AVPs, and even the lower range integrated amps for volume control/preamp, rendering their audio specs more or less the same if used as prepro/preamp, in pure direct mode.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
That is true as the preamp section can degrade the signal. Unfortunately, as Dr. Rich called them out(including D&M, Yamaha, some Onkyo/Integrated) a few years ago, that they typical used LSI (large scale ICs) in their AVRs, AVPs, and even the lower range integrated amps for volume control/preamp, rendering their audio specs more or less the same if used as prepro/preamp, in pure direct mode.
PENG, why would they all do that? Also why are some pre-amps better (sounding) than others? Also why do they have say for, treble, bass tone controls +- 6 or at 50hz for the bass tone control? Back before all of the AVR thing, use to have a (loudness) button on the front display panel. Just trying to gain some knowledge here.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG, why would they all do that? Also why are some pre-amps better (sounding) than others? Also why do they have say for, treble, bass tone controls +- 6 or at 50hz for the bass tone control? Back before all of the AVR thing, use to have a (loudness) button on the front display panel. Just trying to gain some knowledge here.
My guess is, a matter of marketing strategy, cost, and that they may believe a single component does not define the final sound quality (see Marantz response to HTHF/Dr. Rich). Imo the last bit makes little sense, because why then spend more on the better DAC chip in their D&M flagship AVR/avp. The cost between using that Renesas LSI for preamp vs using some better MSI or SSI chips are just a few dollars at the most, given their purchase volume. Denon's x8500h and presumably the Marantz AV8805 might have finally addressed that concern, but I would not know for sure because the service manuals are understandably not available to the public.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
My guess is, a matter of marketing strategy, cost, and that they may believe a single component does not define the final sound quality (see Marantz response to HTHF/Dr. Rich). Imo the last bit makes little sense, because why then spend so much on the HDAM and DAC, in the case of their D&M flagship? The cost between using that Renesas LSI for preamp vs using some better MSI or SSI chips are just a few dollars at the most, given their purchase volume. Denon's x8500h and presumably the Marantz AV8805 might have finally addressed that concern, but I would not know for sure because the service manuals are understandably not available to the public.
Thanks PENG!

JulioR

JulioR

Audiophyte
Although it seems something already forgotten the subject, I want your opinion about the operating temperature for the case of using it in, for example, a basic configuration of 5.1 channels. Would it continue to be as high as they describe it or would it be significantly reduced?

S

savan228

Audiophyte
I just bought SR8012 and upgraded from SR7012. Excited. I am using XPA-5 Gen 3 Emotiva power amp (which I had when I was using SR7012) to power front left, right, center and surround L and right. Power amp works amazing, plenty of power but problem I am having is this static/hum noise from the speakers when there is nothing playing/quite scene in a movie. I have all Klipsch speakers - two towers, center and wall mounted surround.

Anyone can tell me what this could be? Any solution for this? Do I even need power amp with SR8012 - running 7.2.2 system.

Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just bought SR8012 and upgraded from SR7012. Excited. I am using XPA-5 Gen 3 Emotiva power amp (which I had when I was using SR7012) to power front left, right, center and surround L and right. Power amp works amazing, plenty of power but problem I am having is this static/hum noise from the speakers when there is nothing playing/quite scene in a movie. I have all Klipsch speakers - two towers, center and wall mounted surround.

Anyone can tell me what this could be? Any solution for this? Do I even need power amp with SR8012 - running 7.2.2 system.

Thanks.
Was the hum there when you were using the SR7012 with the XPA-5? Are you sure the hum is from the speakers and not the AVR and/or the power amp?

S

savan228

Audiophyte
Yes, hum was there with SR7012 as well. I called Emotiva and they said its normal static/hum since Klipsh speakers are very sensitive and it does not affect actual audio quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, hum was there with SR7012 as well. I called Emotiva and they said its normal static/hum since Klipsh speakers are very sensitive and it does not affect actual audio quality.
If you can't hear the hiss a few feet away, it is probably normal if you have very sensitive speakers such as some Klipsch models. If you can hear the lower frequency hum from a few feet away as well, then I would say it isn't very normal. All class AB amplifiers, such as the SR7012 will have audible hum from the power transformer, but again, it typically (Marantz or Denon AVRs anyway..) should not be audible from even 2 feet away. Many high power amplifiers even high end ones, may have transformers that may hum a little louder than we want them to, though many are very quiet, as quiet as Marantz/Denon AVRs. This is based on my own experience, ommv..

Last edited:
L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern

Thanks.
I run separate pre-pro and power amps.
I have no hum and only the slightest, barely audible, hiss when I put my ear RIGHT next to the tweeter with the volume maxed and whatever source paused. My fronts are rated 90db sensitivity. It's not normal to have hum or hiss. You must have a ground loop or something else wrong.

I also think it's pretty disturbing that Emotiva would tell you that it is normal. What is the sensitivity of your speakers?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I also think it's pretty disturbing that Emotiva would tell you that it is normal. What is the sensitivity of your speakers?
This!
I was seriously interested in Emotiva for 6-9 mos, but the more I learn about them, the less interested I become!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This!
I was seriously interested in Emotiva for 6-9 mos, but the more I learn about them, the less interested I become!
I am not a fan of Emo amps, but in this case the Marantz could be the issue. It seems that there are a lot of reports of hum associated with Marantz AVC/P and AVRs. I have a few of them but never experienced such issues though. So I think it is likely a combinations of different factors, one being related to Marantz (probably just a touch more prone..) but that's just my educated guess. It would be helpful if the OP can confirm whether he's getting the 60 Hz or 120 Hz hum. For hiss, as long as it is the quiet type that is only audible from say 2-3 feet at the most, Emo could be right in suggesting Klipsch speakers may be the issue potentially, if the OP's have models with the ones that could have sensitivity as high as 98 dB/2.83V or higher.

S

Sleqzypig

Audioholic Intern
That looks nice. I would love to have something like this in my own home. I always hear good things about the Marantz brand.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Thanks.
Do you have hum or just static noise? If it's hum, you likely have a ground loop. Try disconnecting everything from your power amp but the speakers. If the hum continues, it's a problem with the power amp. If it doesn't, then reconnect the Marantz receiver but make sure you unplug any 3 plug devices that share the same power outlet first. Since the SR8012 and Emotiva amps both are 2-prong power, there must be another device that is setting up a ground loop in your system.

Read: https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

For a point of reference, I'm running an SR8012 in my family room system using the internal amps and get no hum or hiss.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis