Marantz SR8012 11.2CH IMAX Enhanced AV Receiver Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The $3k Marantz SR8012 AV receiver features 11 channels of processing and internal amplification. To sweeten the deal, Marantz recently released a firmware update for full IMAX Enhanced capability, which requires compatible display hardware and software to take advantage of ensuring an upgrade path in the future that many of its competitors do not.

The Marantz name has always been synonymous with hi fidelity since the brand’s inception over 60 years ago. We took a deep look at the performance capabilities of this receiver including running a full battery of bench tests to see if it has what it takes to be the best AV receiver on the market in the $3k price range.

Some may wonder why spring the extra $700 coin for an SR8012 when one can get a similarly featured receiver from sister company Denon via the AVR-X6500H. We discuss that too so be sure to check out our full review and YouTube video supplemental's.

SR8012-inside.JPG

Read: Marantz SR8012 11.2CH AV Receiver Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Really really good review. I'm really broken up about Daredevil season 3 was friggin awesome. Damn Disney What do you think of Marantz's preamp options know in about a year I'm thinking about jumping over to separates completely. Are the newer preamp models of this high quality?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Really really good review. I'm really broken up about Daredevil season 3 was friggin awesome. Damn Disney What do you think of Marantz's preamp options know in about a year I'm thinking about jumping over to separates completely. Are the newer preamp models of this high quality?
Yea DD S3 was just so amazing. I was devastated when I heard Netflix pulled the plug.

If you're limiting your speaker configuration to 11.2 or 7.1.4, I'd get the Yamaha CX-A5200. If you want 13.2 or 7.1.6, get the Marantz AV8805.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yea DD S3 was just so amazing. I was devastated when I heard Netflix pulled the plug.

If you're limiting your speaker configuration to 11.2 or 7.1.4, I'd get the Yamaha CX-A5200. If you want 13.2 or 7.1.6, get the Marantz AV8805.
Ok thanks!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I just looked at the Yamaha looks amazing but I swear the amount of information they throw at you is overwhelming

I'd ask you why you like the Yamah for 11.2 But I don't want to derail the thread.

It does look awesome tho just a lottof info to take in

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I just looked at the Yamaha looks amazing but I swear the amount of information they throw at you is overwhelming

I'd ask you why you like the Yamah for 11.2 But I don't want to derail the thread.

It does look awesome tho just a lottof info to take in
Yamaha build quality on CX-A5200 is top notch and PEQ receiver editor is really useful. Great processor for $$$

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the great review - covered a lot of bases (as always)!

Are you willing to give an estimate on when the D&M Audyssey App review will be out?

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer

Are you willing to give an estimate on when the D&M Audyssey App review will be out?
To get a head start re Audyssey App look at Gene’s interview: (https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/denon-marantz-audyssey-multeq-editor-app) and my review of the Marantz SR7012 (https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr7012-receiver-review). When the Denon AVR-X8500H review gets published there’s a section in there as well on the Audyssey app.

In a nutshell you want to use the app going forward and limit your maximum frequency to the ~Schroeder frequency of your room or a suggested max of 5kHz (this is what Anthem does with ARC). The app just takes longer as it communicates each sweep. Doing sweeps on the Denon X8500H with 15.2 channels (but only 13 active at a time) took over 45 minutes!!

L

laurelkurt

Audioholic Intern
Your reviews and video tutorials are top notch. I've gotten the bug as a result and have spent way too much money in the last year. Reminds me of DB Keele's articles I used to read from Audio and Speaker Builder magazines.

Gavin Harrison is indeed a great drummer especially in PT.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To get a head start re Audyssey App look at Gene’s interview: (https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/denon-marantz-audyssey-multeq-editor-app) and my review of the Marantz SR7012 (https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr7012-receiver-review). When the Denon AVR-X8500H review gets published there’s a section in there as well on the Audyssey app.

In a nutshell you want to use the app going forward and limit your maximum frequency to the ~Schroeder frequency of your room or a suggested max of 5kHz (this is what Anthem does with ARC). The app just takes longer as it communicates each sweep. Doing sweeps on the Denon X8500H with 15.2 channels (but only 13 active at a time) took over 45 minutes!!
Wow, you guys actually reviewed the 8500 as well? Complete with measurements too?

Thank you in advance regardless.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I found a few operational hiccups with Audyssey editor App that Denon/Marantz claim to be working on for the next update. I will wait till that's released and will test and report back then.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wow, you guys actually reviewed the 8500 as well? Complete with measurements too?

Thank you in advance regardless.
Review yes, but no bench tests. I suspect the 8005H will put out a good 10-15% more power than the 8012 and measure categorically as good or better in every other regard.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Review yes, but no bench tests. I suspect the 8005H will put out a good 10-15% more power than the 8012 and measure categorically as good or better in every other regard.
Thanks, that Denon apparently has a more real preamp mode so I was hoping you would at least measure the pre out performance to see if it can output higher than 2 to 3 volts cleanly.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks, that Denon apparently has a more real preamp mode so I was hoping you would at least measure the pre out performance to see if it can output higher than 2 to 3 volts cleanly.
I can probably ask Denon for a measurement and validation of that. I've actually been talking to them about doing this on the SR8012 replacement.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Dialogue Level Adjust - this feature is just a glorified center channel level adjustment that presumibly changes the default center level by the amount you vary this level + or - starting from 0.
According to the manual this is the case for the SR8012, which is a little strange as the AVR-X6500H (and earlier models) has a dialoge enhancer instead that adjust the level of frequencies in the range from 1 kHz to 3 kHz, as I understand it.

I would prefer dialoge enhancer instead of the dialog level adjust I have on my Denon AVR-X4200W for the times I feel I should adjust to hear vocals better.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I found a few operational hiccups with Audyssey editor App that Denon/Marantz claim to be working on for the next update. I will wait till that's released and will test and report back then.
Glad to hear they are working on an update!
I know @Pogre will be interested because he was frustrated with using the app with his Marantz, and did not seem convinced that D&M were planning to fix it anytime soon (and it has been awhile).
You will be doing many of us a favor simply by announcing that an update is out!
It is taunting with the idea of controlling many of the parameters that AVR based Audyssey forced us into an "all or nothing" proposition! I think many are interested in being able to only use Audyssey in the low frequencies where the room has such a dominant effect!
@PENG, you were able to use the current version effectively, correct? Did you experience any major glitches? I am wondering if the integration with Denon is better and (perhaps, if the app was developed on a Denon) Marantz just isn't as conducive to it (although it is hard to believe they would have done much different between the two brands).

TheoN

TheoN

The Denon X8500H review should be up soon. I have had it in house for several months and we awarded it our AVR of the year. One thing that seems to be floating about online is the claim that it has a “preamp mode”. Depends on what one means by that. I think some people have claimed that it disengages the amp section. That’s not accurate. I confirmed with Denon that the X8500H functions the same as the X7200WA and the amp section remains engaged. That said the preamp section of the X8500H is excellent. Both Marantz and sister company Denon have done a superb job with their new lineups.

TheoN

TheoN

I also made sure to put the X8500H on a dedicated 20A circuit for the review. As Gene has shown that produces an additional 10%-15% output when using a 20A vs 15A circuit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis