Marantz AV 10 15.4CH AV Processor Bench Test Results!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's not surprising that the Marantz AV 10 15.4CH 8K AV Processor produced excellent bench test results. This $7K processor has bass management features no other competitor has in this price class such as LFE Bass Routing and Bass Re-distribution. We thoroughly test these features to show you how they work. We also thoroughly explain the measurement results and how they can relate to real world experiences for this product.

AV10-testing.jpg
Marantz front.jpg

With plenty of clean output drive and the ability to run 4 independent subs with so much flexibility of how you configure your bass, the AV 10 is a class leader. Could it be too uncomfortably close in performance to the uber expensive Storm Audio and Trinnov alternatives?

Read: Marantz AV 10 15.4CH 8K Processor Bench Test Results

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Gene for a great review with such detailed measurements. If you still have the unit, can you please measure the FFT one more time, using 5 kHz instead of 1 kHz. I have never seen anyone done that before, and I just want to see if at 5 kHz (or even 3.5 kHz), the higher order harmonics would increase in proportion or remain the same. I am quite sure it wouldn't, especially when the THD is so diminishingly low to begin with, but it is better to see it, so those who claimed the otherwise can shut up.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That does seem a really well designed unit. That could burn a hole in my pocket. That unit has SNR where it should be, as when you add that many speakers, any residual noise really adds up.
That is my biggest beef with my 7705. You never hear noise when there is any program, but in a quiet room you can just hear it, but you can't hear the power amps with the AVP off.

If you are going to to a by the book Atmos system that is the standard of unit you need. Doing all that with an AVR is not sensible. It is likely to bring a ton of grief.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That does seem a really well designed unit. That could burn a hole in my pocket. That unit has SNR where it should be, as when you add that many speakers, any residual noise really adds up.
That is my biggest beef with my 7705. You never hear noise when there is any program, but in a quiet room you can just hear it, but you can't hear the power amps with the AVP off.
Just fyi, I know you like your 7705, but I have been recommending the Denon AVRs, yes AVRs, over the 7705 (when asked) because that's my experience too, that my Marantz AVP hiss my speakers when the room was quiet; and the volume setting was high, the AVRs were silent. That was predictable, based on measured results on ASR.

Now that we know the AV10 will be silent (again based on measurements), hopefully (almost certainly...) whatever they come up with, to replace the lower model 7706, will be silent too. If I were you, I would trade in one of your 7705s immediately.:)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just fyi, I know you like your 7705, but I have been recommending the Denon AVRs, yes AVRs, over the 7705 (when asked) because that's my experience too, that my Marantz AVP hiss my speakers when the room was quiet; and the volume setting was high, the AVRs were silent. That was predictable, based on measured results on ASR.

Now that we know the AV10 will be silent (again based on measurements), hopefully (almost certainly...) whatever they come up with, to replace the lower model 7706, will be silent too. If I were you, I would trade in one of your 7705s immediately.:)
I only have one 7705, the others are older, in a 3.1 and a 2.1 system. The older units are working fine with those.

The only issue that is a negative, is that AV 10 does not look as if it is rack mountable. That is a big deal. Equipment in that price range and sophistication needs to be rack mountable.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Can the AV 10 accurately process (4) side surround channels and (2) rear surround channels without having to use y-cords?

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic

If you are going to to a by the book Atmos system that is the standard of unit you need. Doing all that with an AVR is not sensible. It is likely to bring a ton of grief.
I'm also curious what SINAD was with 2-channels driven as it appears the 96dB XLR output was with 7-channels driven in Gene's test. SU claimed 106dB SINAD in their video but I am wondering if they only measured 2-channels vs. 7-channels driven?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm also curious what SINAD was with 2-channels driven as it appears the 96dB XLR output was with 7-channels driven in Gene's test. SU claimed 106dB SINAD in their video but I am wondering if they only measured 2-channels vs. 7-channels driven?
The distortion was the same with 2 or 7CH driven. Marantz doesn't specifiy SINAD so not sure where you got that from.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
This looks really, really good, thanks for the review, Gene! My Integra DRX-8.4 just shipped today and now I am feeling a tinge of regret for not springing for the AV10. :)

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
The distortion was the same with 2 or 7CH driven. Marantz doesn't specifiy SINAD so not sure where you got that from.
As mentioned above, Masimo posted SINAD for both the AV10 (they claimed 106dB) and AMP10 (they claimed 96dB) if I recall. I cited the time stamps in another thread but if you look at that video they posted (which was just excellent) you'll see their bench tests numbers for both products.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
From the Masimo video:
At about 22:10, it shows about 106 dB at about 2.8 V from the XLR outputs, presumably. On your graph, you seemed to be getting the best point at about 4.8 V. Not quite the same, but then we have different operator, different AP models (assumed) and probably slightly different methods too.

1682619684590.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It is always tricky to compare different results from different test bench/operator/instrument/methodologies. Overall, I think things are still in the ball park.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
From the Masimo video:
At about 22:10, it shows about 106 dB at about 2.8 V from the XLR outputs, presumably. On your graph, you seemed to be getting the best point at about 4.8 V. Not quite the same, but then we have different operator, different AP models (assumed) and probably slightly different methods too.

View attachment 61655
Damn I never saw this video and Masimo said my test results were accurate. I will rerun with a BW limited source instead of 192khz to see if it improves the measurements.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I only have one 7705, the others are older, in a 3.1 and a 2.1 system. The older units are working fine with those.

The only issue that is a negative, is that AV 10 does not look as if it is rack mountable. That is a big deal. Equipment in that price range and sophistication needs to be rack mountable.
According to Marantz Support website, there will be a rackmount kit option under development, but who knows if it is accurate ;)

Marantz Response
· a month ago

Hi Russ,
The release date for the rack mount kit for the AV10 has yet to be determined. We're hoping very soon.
Sub-woofer 1 is the primary subwoofer connection, and its differing panel color is to help indicate that it should be utilized before the other Subwoofer preouts. A similar theme can be observed for Monitor Outs and the Main Five Speaker Channels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis