Home theater receiver recommendations. (I am kind of a noob)

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Whether you care or not, it does have one unique feature. That is, it is the last Denon AVR model that can decode HDCD.
Whoa, I'm glad you pointed this out, as I am looking into a new receiver for an eventual UltraHD system. I just assumed all mid to high end receivers still decoded HDCD.:( I do have a number of HDCD titles. Now, I'm wondering if any of the new UHD compliant receivers still decode HDCD.

DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Enthusiast
So I got the receiver in today. It looks like it is in great condition. I decided to just plug in 2 small speakers in it to see what it sounds like right off the bat. I noticed that the left channel wasn't playing sound and I did notice the negative port on the receiver keeps spinning and never tightens all the way down for proper banana plug use.

The sound will start to come through the receiver if I push the back of the banana plug fairly hard into the negative speaker terminal. It is obviously not making contact. All other speaker posts/terminals tighten all the way down except this one. Any tips on how to fix this? I'm trying to google this but I am having a hard time find results.

I swapped the port out with one from another receiver and it seemed to tighten down just enough but still I had to apply pressure to the banana plug to get sound out of it. I'm thinking I may have purchased a lemon. Good thing I have a 60 day return policy.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Whoa, I'm glad you pointed this out, as I am looking into a new receiver for an eventual UltraHD system. I just assumed all mid to high end receivers still decoded HDCD.:( I do have a number of HDCD titles. Now, I'm wondering if any of the new UHD compliant receivers still decode HDCD.
As far as I know only the 4311 and the older 4XXX can do it. Same for Marantz, the new models including the flag ship AV8802 won't decode HDCD. Other than that, some media players can do it including the older cheap dvd players. You can also ripped your HDCD and play them from your PC with the proper software.

DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Enthusiast
So after much tinkering with the receiver last night I decided that the problem is internal and
out of my reach." I was able to swap out the nut for another one and the problem still occurred. I could get sound out of it when pressing down (towards the ground) on the port/banana clip. However it would not work while doing this when trying to play something back in stereo.

Worth a shot... I guess... he did give me 60 days to return. Hopefully he doesn't fight me on it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis