Help on the Crown XLS Drive Core Series

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pretty sure the fan noise on the QSC GX series is considerable, tho. QSC makes some very good amps, tho. @Verdinut I think was the first one around here to use the DCA series too.
Yes, indeed plenty of reviews about noisy fan, but more than a few people just swapped for a much more quiet one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, indeed plenty of reviews about noisy fan, but more than a few people just swapped for a much more quiet one.
True, often an option but then there are those who chose poorly and fried the amps, too. Same for Behringers or even noisier Crown offerings....always an option but for everyone? Just a consideration as to particular use and how much you want to change things....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've been told that XLS core models are dead silent unless you take it to 11
Hey guys still learning here what does unless you take it to 11 mean? Anything I learn on these is helpful since I want to use them correctly

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys still learning here what does unless you take it to 11 mean? Anything I learn on these is helpful since I want to use them correctly
It's from the movie Spinal Tap....google should provide a video clip easily enuf....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Pretty sure the fan noise on the QSC GX series is considerable, tho. QSC makes some very good amps, tho. @Verdinut I think was the first one around here to use the DCA series too.
If it's not rode hard and put away wet, the fan speed can be lowered pretty easily, replaced by something that makes less noise, relocated or some other means of cooling can be used.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
True, often an option but then there are those who chose poorly and fried the amps, too. Same for Behringers or even noisier Crown offerings....always an option but for everyone? Just a consideration as to particular use and how much you want to change things....
OTOH, they weren't designed for home use, they were made to go in equipment racks where the noise wouldn't bother anyone or be noticed. I wouldn't expect them to make a change very soon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH, they weren't designed for home use, they were made to go in equipment racks where the noise wouldn't bother anyone or be noticed. I wouldn't expect them to make a change very soon.
Me either unless they're aiming at consumer use....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
lol, of course. that was for Dan
Thanks for the info I've known about that movie since as far back as I can remember and never in my life have I watched it. Gonna have to change that add it to my bucket list

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey fellas I've a question for all of you. Just helping me understand things better

So you guys sent me some great links to articles and in reading one it spoke about underpowered amps

One of the points it brought up is if your speakers are rated to 300w rms at 8ohms for example then your amplifier should be able to put out 600 watts RMS not to cook the speaker but to handle dynamic loads.

If thats the case then why do most commercial amps even higher end only put out on average 200w rms into 8ohm loads?

Do you guys think these ab amps are possibly underpowered? Or is there more to this? There has to be for so many multichannel amps to put out those specs like 200 watts per channel.

Seems like from customer reviews of the crown amps one thing they love is there dynamics. I'm wondering if it's because the higher end models have so much juice on tap for the speakers vs commercial amps

Just curious wanting to learn

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/touring/k-series#K20 is a bit more powerful than 200wpc into 8ohm
Yeah I'm noticing on the pro side you have plenty of options that put out huge power even into 8ohm loads I'm noticing not so much on the home av side if that article is correct and you really should be doubling your power I was wondering why that is?

Are monoprice ATI Emotiva outlaw etc etc actually underpowering speakers that handle 200 RMS into 8 ohm loads? Or is there more to this then I understand get? More then meets the eye?

Just curious is all. Trying to understand the info you guys linked me better

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis