Getting the full SDA Effect from Polk L800 Speakers

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Yes. Class AB single ended. Runs very cool. There may be their previous version (different face plate but same electronics) on eBay still new in box for a discount.
Hmmm. I could save $1000 and simplify my system pretty greatly by getting a monoprice 11 channel which appears to be Class AB.

Would that also be "okay" with this amp. At 4 ohms ACD it's 300W. I think that would be "enough" Thoughts on that?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Yes. Class AB single ended. Runs very cool. There may be their previous version (different face plate but same electronics) on eBay still new in box for a discount.
Hmmm. I could save $1000 and simplify my system pretty greatly by getting a monoprice 11 channel which appears to be Class AB.

Would that also be "okay" with this amp. At 4 ohms ACD it's 300W. I think that would be "enough" Thoughts on that?
I have not used monoprice but a lot of people like them and think highly of them.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I believe so. It is certainly heavy enough to be. But you can just call them. Their sales staff will know. I can tell you though that when I went from 275w to 400w there was a clear difference especially noticeable when using audyssey setup tone levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I believe so. It is certainly heavy enough to be. But you can just call them. Their sales staff will know. I can tell you though that when I went from 275w to 400w there was a clear difference especially noticeable when using audyssey setup tone levels.

That monoprice like the anthem is unbalanced (single ended), correct?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Hi. I just checked and there is a dealer demo Anthem MCA 325 in original box on eBay rt now for 2250 or best offer

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Hi. I just checked and there is a dealer demo Anthem MCA 325 in original box on eBay rt now for 2250 or best offer
my lean is that way so far. I'm doing a final check and trying to find something used. I found a super beat up Anthem P2 which would give me 500W at 4ohm... I just need to be able to take the mounting brackets off.

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Just ordered the 325. I hope it’s “compatible”

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Well, I have them home and I'm not getting the same impact that I got in the store. I have them 6.5 to 7.5' apart depending on how you define the space. I'm sitting about 9' back. The side walls are approx 12 to 15' away from them.

As an experiment I moved them in front of my console and then moved them 4' apart but was only 7' back and still didn't get the effect that I had in the store.

So I'm going to try a new amp to see if that is an impact. I'm currently using the Anthem MCA 325 and I'll see if this I could just be spoiled too.

Overall the sound-quality is an upgrade from my Paradigm 75F and 55C but not big enough without "the effect"

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Well, I have them home and I'm not getting the same impact that I got in the store. I have them 6.5 to 7.5' apart depending on how you define the space. I'm sitting about 9' back. The side walls are approx 12 to 15' away from them.

As an experiment I moved them in front of my console and then moved them 4' apart but was only 7' back and still didn't get the effect that I had in the store.

So I'm going to try a new amp to see if that is an impact. I'm currently using the Anthem MCA 325 and I'll see if this I could just be spoiled too.

Overall the sound-quality is an upgrade from my Paradigm 75F and 55C but not big enough without "the effect"

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Try having them 5 ft apart. Also play the “wandering” album track “bubbles” mentioned in the reviewers post.

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Try having them 5 ft apart. Also play the “wandering” album track “bubbles” mentioned in the reviewers post.
Will do on the 5'. I played the same songs as in the store and none of them hit the same.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Reviewer is Matthew Poes. You could private message him for advice. Placement is key. My listening position is 12 ft away. My 800s r 6.5ft apart.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Oh and just as a cautionary note—you did notice the speakers are labeled as left and right on their backs and that they need connecting via the proprietary cable?

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Oh and just as a cautionary note—you did notice the speakers are labeled as left and right on their backs and that they need connecting via the proprietary cable?

I did notice that. I have the right on the right and left on the left. I tested that by unplugging the SDA and making sure that only the inner speaker was playing.

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Here's my room:
My Room.jpg

I have a lot of constraints like position to the back wall, size of the media console (even if I could get a smaller console the TV is 70" wide). The diffusers are "art" pieces and I could remove them but very reluctantly.

The driver on the right side is about 3" in front of that side wall

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Yesh. I would contact Matthew. He is a room accoustics expert.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis