Getting the full SDA Effect from Polk L800 Speakers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Would it be crazy to buy these speakers and not use the SDA tech? Seems they perform slightly better without SDA on but at the expense of amazing imaging.
It would not be crazy to do that. Polk designed the L800s by first building a really good conventional design and then applying the SDA tech on top of that. Without the SDA tech, the L800s would be like the L600s but with some heavy-duty bass drivers.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
It would not be crazy to do that. Polk designed the L800s by first building a really good conventional design and then applying the SDA tech on top of that. Without the SDA tech, the L800s would be like the L600s but with some heavy-duty bass drivers.
Thanks! Speaking of the L600, any reason to pick up the L600 over the R700?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks! Speaking of the L600, any reason to pick up the L600 over the R700?
Better build quality, better finish. I don't think there is a compelling sound quality reason to get the L600 over the R700.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Better build quality, better finish. I don't think there is a compelling sound quality reason to get the L600 over the R700.
Thanks again for your insight. Seems like there is certainly diminishing returns from the ~$2k R700 to the L800 then!

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Would it be crazy to buy these speakers and not use the SDA tech? Seems they perform slightly better without SDA on but at the expense of amazing imaging.

I myself am not a fan of the SDA effect really.
At times, interesting and entertaining, but never felt like it was needed or a natural effect that improves anything.

Having listened to semi-professional recordings on both SDA and non SDA speakers, I realized the SDA effect is not natural or how it sounded when the recordings were made, but added a layer of imaging that sounded artificial to me for sure.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I myself am not a fan of the SDA effect really.
At times, interesting and entertaining, but never felt like it was needed or a natural effect that improves anything.

Having listened to semi-professional recordings on both SDA and non SDA speakers, I realized the SDA effect is not natural or how it sounded when the recordings were made, but added a layer of imaging that sounded artificial to me for sure.
Your previous posts above display someone who doesn’t like the SDA effect. I owned these and did enjoy the SDA effect particularly on binaural recordings.

I am curious do you like multichannel music or just straight two channel stereo? I like multichannel music and upmixing to multichannel.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Your previous posts above display someone who doesn’t like the SDA effect. I owned these and did enjoy the SDA effect particularly on binaural recordings.

I am curious do you like multichannel music or just straight two channel stereo? I like multichannel music and upmixing to multichannel.

Not so much a matter of not "liking" it, but find it sounds not realistic, UNLESS as you say the recording was done in a manner such as Binaural, where it tends TO sound fairly realistic for sure.

I normally like regular 2 channel stereo sound for music mostly.

I have some 5 channel classical stuff that is cool also.

Do not want to sound like I am bashing on SDA, as it is fun and cool sounding. But I guess over the years, it became a novelty to me.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Not so much a matter of not "liking" it, but find it sounds not realistic, UNLESS as you say the recording was done in a manner such as Binaural, where it tends TO sound fairly realistic for sure.

I normally like regular 2 channel stereo sound for music mostly.

I have some 5 channel classical stuff that is cool also.

Do not want to sound like I am bashing on SDA, as it is fun and cool sounding. But I guess over the years, it became a novelty to me.
So you are happy with the L800 as normal space speakers not using SDA? Do both the tweeters and midrange play when not using SDA?

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
Any reason why you wouldn’t do the L600’s or are you looking for the bass capabilities?

SDA is fantastic but certainly takes a bit of work if youre room Isn’t ideal for it. I’m not sure if I could ever go back to non-SDA at this point

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
So you are happy with the L800 as normal space speakers not using SDA? Do both the tweeters and midrange play when not using SDA?
They play like normal speakers with the SDA unplugged

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Any reason why you wouldn’t do the L600’s or are you looking for the bass capabilities?

SDA is fantastic but certainly takes a bit of work if youre room Isn’t ideal for it. I’m not sure if I could ever go back to non-SDA at this point
I'm looking for endgame speakers that I invest enough in and am happy with to not want to upgrade for a very long time. Seems that the L600 doesn't have any real sonic advantages over the R700 so the L800 seems to be more the stand out.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic

I guess I really do not care for SDA overall. It sound fun and cool on some stuff, but most recordings were not made to play back on SDA and I think the "Idea" is simply flawed.

The "White paper" about SDA assumes ALL recordings are made with 2 mics placed where are ears are. MOST all recordings are not made even remotely like this, resulting in a vastly false soundstage that is merely exaggerated, and not even close to how it was intended to sound.

Binaural recordings sound GREAT on SDA, but most all studio recordings are just hugely exaggerated.

M

Mack_Luster

Audiophyte
paulgyro posts on June 06, 2022 00:35
tjcinnamon, post: 1560467, member: 95525
They play like normal speakers with the SDA unplugged
Ok thanks, does normal mean that both the tweeters and midranges fire?

-----------------

No, only the inner drivers fire when the SDA cable is unplugged.

G

G-wreck

Audiophyte
although I think these speakers a likely very good if one is wanting the crosstalk cancellation effect I would get a BACCH system and add it to any pair speakers. The spatial effect is much better with no tonal coloration. Also there is much less issues with placement and narrow sweet spot.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
although I think these speakers a likely very good if one is wanting the crosstalk cancellation effect I would get a BACCH system and add it to any pair speakers. The spatial effect is much better with no tonal coloration. Also there is much less issues with placement and narrow sweet spot.
This might be true but we are talking $20-$30k for a BACCH if I'm not mistaken!

A

aawetu

Audiophyte
I own these now so I will measure it and add it to the review once I unpack them. But I won’t be able to unpack them until I am moved.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I just reread the whole thread and watched Matt's review. TBH the white papers were above my head but it seems like a lot of people were talking sh*t on these speakers for the SDA effect; Maybe because they do not have a full understanding of how SDA technology works. I get that the placement of the speakers is a bit odd due to the fact that they have to be close together to get the SDA effect working properly, + placement from the walls, + amplification.

Some on the thread claimed that these speakers are not suitable for HT applications. @Matthew J Poes If you did not want the SDA effect for HT, can't you simply just unplug the SDA coupling cable, and these functions like normal speakers? Also, after living with the speakers for some time have your feelings on the L-800s and SDA changed in any way?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I just reread the whole thread and watched Matt's review. TBH the white papers were above my head but it seems like a lot of people were talking sh*t on these speakers for the SDA effect; Maybe because they do not have a full understanding of how SDA technology works. I get that the placement of the speakers is a bit odd due to the fact that they have to be close together to get the SDA effect working properly, + placement from the walls, + amplification.

Some on the thread claimed that these speakers are not suitable for HT applications. @Matthew J Poes If you did not want the SDA effect for HT, can't you simply just unplug the SDA coupling cable, and these functions like normal speakers? Also, after living with the speakers for some time have your feelings on the L-800s and SDA changed in any way?
6k 118 pounds wow those must be some spectacular speakers I can’t dream of probably ever affording them , certainly can’t carry those. SDA sounds legitimate they look like true bipoles . Can’t even carry my plasma tv or sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis