Gas (Pricing) Is Getting Flatulent

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
How does any of that relate to the facts?:
The reason my post relates to the facts.
My post: stays on topic with the threads title, (Gas Pricing.)
Your post: Does not.
My post: is not 'my opinion' as you stated.
My post: is documented United Nations history. (Oil pricing)
Your post: has a link to somebody's blog, and You Tube.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I

As for you, good for you that you bike, walk and work at home! Not all of us can do that, either. If you feel safer in a Corolla than a big SUV, well.:rolleyes: If you want to be "green" then why don't you get a diesel and run it off of Bio or vegetable oil from the local grease joint instead of feeding the big oil companies?

I spend about $4-500 bucks a month on fuel as well because I'm in sales. Yes, I spend a lot of time in the office on the phone as well, but I still have to go on the road...a lot. Do I like the oil prices? No. Am I complaining about prices? Yes. Do I conserve when I can? Yes. I also have to have fuel to make a living, though.

Conservation, alternate fuels and vehicles that get better mileage are key for our future, I agree, but we also have to live with what we have for now, to a point. Infrastructure is just not in place at the present to switch over to alternate fuels overnight. The American public does, however, need to push for alternate fuels and cleaner burning cars and trucks. Passivity is no longer an option.

FWIW, that's my two Lincolns.
Safe in the sense if we had stuck with the energy policy that President Carter tried to effect, had real CAFE standards instead of letting the Big 3 US auto manufacturers have their way (again, take back your government folks), people bought the cars they need instead of one that makes them feel like B.M.O.C we might not be in Iraq. We might not have experienced 9/11. That is what I meant by safe.

Why don't we have a program like the National Highway, Apollo missions, Manhattan project for Alternate, renewable energy. I am not saying it will replace fossil fuels, but at least green it up a bit and reduce our need on outside sources. I am afraid more for out children that we will act too late. The current trends that the globe is taking is something I don't want to leave them. What a poor legacy. I'd rather be too cautious then blas'e.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The reason my post relates to the facts.
My post: stays on topic with the threads title, (Gas Pricing.)
Your post: Does not.
My post: is not 'my opinion' as you stated.
My post: is documented United Nations history. (Oil pricing)
Your post: has a link to somebody's blog, and You Tube.
Your link has nothing to do with the FACT that fossil fuels are not an infinite supply. Absolutely nothing. I remember paying $0.88 for a gallon of gas. Your link would try and disprove that?

We are talking about two different things. We really aren't talking apples to apples. Try thinking beyond your lifetime and more of what we leave future generations.

I never said that the links were written in stone. Just an overview. One that you are welcome to challenge and ultimately disprove.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sure there will be more. It'll just be in another few millions years, and the oil will be from our remains. ;)
OH no!!! Not mine! I will send mine into space first:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Oil is finite, so is the power from the sun, for that matter.
Just how much so, is anybodies guess.
If you know, please tell us, so we can mark our calendars.:)
Well, the oil rich nations and those who control the oil fields will not tell us what their reserves are:D
Astronomers have a pretty good idea about the sun's future, not much of a secret:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Why don't we have a program like the National Highway, Apollo missions, Manhattan project for Alternate, renewable energy. I am not saying it will replace fossil fuels, but at least green it up a bit and reduce our need on outside sources. I am afraid more for out children that we will act too late. The current trends that the globe is taking is something I don't want to leave them. What a poor legacy. I'd rather be too cautious then blas'e.
Well, I have a thought, or two, on this:D

The Apollo mission didn't replace another mission to improve on it, it was something new. So was the Manhattan project, which had a different motive, a new weapon. While we had highways, to expand commerce Eisenhower created an infrastructure to advance it more, much more.

Alternative energy, I am all for it totally, especially nuclear and solar, would be replacing, or put a huge dent in the coal and oil industry, a huge industry. So, I bet there are internal pressures to limit or keep it slow. After all, it is the present $$$ that is all we see, not 50 years from now or a 100.

Why are we subsidizing ethanol so much?

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Apollo mission, Manhatten project, National Highway system were all reactions to some sort of threat, one that was perceived or otherwise. The Apollo mission and Highway system to the growing 'threat' of the USSR and the Manhatten project to a threat of atomic weapons from Germany.

My point being is we have a great capacity to mobilize engineering, man power, creativity in haste in face of a threat. Perceived or otherwise.

As a side note, the scientific community has a pretty good idea of how long the sun will last. We also have a decent idea of oil reserves. I can't beleive that someone would actually say that. Ignorance is bliss.:rolleyes:

jinjuku

jinjuku

Oil is finite, so is the power from the sun, for that matter.
Just how much so, is anybodies guess.
If you know, please tell us, so we can mark our calendars.:)
LOL, what a thing to say:rolleyes:. Where does one begin to help pull your foot out of your mouth? Thanks for being on the OTHER side of this debate.

Gawd damn you have me laughing, thanks I needed it. We have a pretty good idea of both actually... Sorry can't stop laughing.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I still fail to see how HiHo's Mac collection is somehow having a negative effect on the rest of us? Or how you think he's living above his means as you suggested to.

Preach on about your tree hugging ways but leave the snide comments too yourself.
It was Hifi, not HiHo.

Didn't you put a K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust on your Nissan Titan?

I don't REALLY care about people buying big vehicles (in most cases it's stupid, there is a far better choice out there) but if you're going to use more then you need, you should have to pay for it. Big vehicles are harder on the environment (this is fact, not tree-huggery) and they're harder on the roads. Tax the hell out of those that think Bigger is better. Maybe they'll finally realize that the way we live is going to have to change.

SheepStar

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, we have each other pegged. But one of us should just feel slightly ashamed.
I think the only person who should be ashamed is you,i worked my balls off for 25 years at the same job in the hot sun & freezing cold,no education that mama & daddy paid for behind me & worked my way to the top of my feild,on my own & paid for my wifes education out of my pocket at the same time, what i have & can give to my family is 100% paid for including my home,i buy every major purchase used & have no outstanding debt at all & you accuse me of living above my means:rolleyes:

If you drive in Detroit as you say you do try it between 7am & 9am or 5pm to 7pm monday through friday,not just to visit where the other half lives on the weekends,you might visit Detroit on sunday riding in on your white horse of valor from Ann Arbor to eat lunch but you aint doing it on a daily basis and you sure as he!! aint doing it on a bike,i know this because they'd beat you over the head & take your little bike then sell it for crack.

You try to paint a picture of me as some materialistic idiot & that may be true but i put my money where my mouth is,how bout you,i spent my afternoon today with my wife buying a neighbor kid who's parents are gambling addicts new clothing ,we spent over $300 of our own money helping others today,last month my counterpart at work & myself donated the cost of material ($875) to put a roof on an elderly womans home,what have you done to help others lately,something that cost you money you worked for.

You have preached about my short cummings but i try my best to be a good person & to make up for things i did wrong early on in my life,im dying to know what you do to help others aside from berating other people for not driving vehicles that you approve of.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
You don't need an expedition to haul a wheel chair. A mid sized V6 powered SUV will suffice perfectly fine for all of those tasks.
SheepStar
Of all the people on this forum:rolleyes:

You are correct about a smaller SUV being able to do the job but your forgetting one very important thing,i buy what i like & what my family likes,if you know anything about my buying habits & im sure you do as long as we have both been on this forum then you know i like big stuff,amps,speakers,motorcycles ect,my tastes in cars are the same.

I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black here,lest i remind you about all the feul economy destroying mods you are doing to your every day driver:rolleyes:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Of all the people on this forum:rolleyes:

You are correct about a smaller SUV being able to do the job but your forgetting one very important thing,i buy what i like & what my family likes,if you know anything about my buying habits & im sure you do as long as we have both been on this forum then you know i like big stuff,amps,speakers,motorcycles ect,my tastes in cars are the same.

I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black here,lest i remind you about all the feul economy destroying mods you are doing to your every day driver:rolleyes:
I'll still get over 30mpg when I'm done. Some of the mods actually increase the efficiency of the motor.

I have no problem with you buying what you want, but making a mad face when it comes time to pay is basically an "I told you so" thing (not that I did tell you). :)

SheepStar

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
It's not about living beyond means, He could be very well living within his means. I never implied that he is or is not. What I said is that I live below my means. I have never under stood the 'Mountain of things' culture that we live in. You realize that as rated to a happiness scale the U.S. isn't up there. Yes there is a happiness quotient out there.

Over consumption and having 5 of everything regardless of your ability to support that life style is not at issue here. I have to wonder how many of you have at least visited another country if not lived there.

I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy of someone complaining about the cost of a gallon of gas in light of:

1. The rest of the world has always paid a much larger premium for a litre/gallon of gas than the U.S has till recently. You don't know what you have till it's gone as the song says.

2. Buying a vehicle that you and I both know is statistically driven by one person better than 90% of the time that gets AT BEST 19MPG, and most likely in the mean of 15-17 MPG.

Smack a hammer all you want on your own thumb, just don't go around crying about it. You have a stack of McIntosh/Bikes/Big V8 SUV's. Suck it up, don't be a wimp and stop whining about gas prices.

At least I am providing some outside sources for my viewpoint. Where is yours?
Since i seem to be the driving force behind you in this thread i'll gladly respond again.

Dig this,just because you have set a standard of living thats acceptable for you & yours dont mean that the rest of us subscribe to that same standard of life as being enjoyable,i have a Mac stack because i enjoy it & because it was a great investment,not to impress you or anybody else.

Im also glad that you enjoy riding your bike as much as possible but that leads me to the conclusion that your job does not include physical labor,am i correct? Its hard for me to imagine a guy doing physical work all day long then riding his bike home,its easy to look down on others from your comfy chair but try spending your day working your a$$ off outside in the elements then see how much use that bike gets.

You have not the first clue of what my means are,i live way below the level of what i could if i did like half the population of this country does & bought on credit,i could live in & pay for a huge house & drive brand new BMW's if i chose to but i dont,i use my credit sparingly even though i could buy whatever i want on credit,i also own every last thing that you point out as making me a hypocrite,i owe nothing on any item including my home.

And yes i have been out of this country several times,not to live but on long term assignment for my job,i fail to see the connection here,just because people in other countries live in squalor,dont use deodorant or care about the way their teeth look has no bearing at all on the American way of life which is to expect the best & settle for nothing less.

If your expecting me to feel ashamed because i strive for a better quality of life than what people in other countries are accustomed to then your dead wrong,the people i met in Africa were accustomed to fetching water from the river & strapping cardboard around their feet for shoe's but that dont mean im doing it.

You need to jump off your ivory tower & take a good hard look at yourself before bashing others like me.

Matt34

Matt34

It was Hifi, not HiHo.

Didn't you put a K&N intake and Magnaflow exhaust on your Nissan Titan?

I don't REALLY care about people buying big vehicles (in most cases it's stupid, there is a far better choice out there) but if you're going to use more then you need, you should have to pay for it. Big vehicles are harder on the environment (this is fact, not tree-huggery) and they're harder on the roads. Tax the hell out of those that think Bigger is better. Maybe they'll finally realize that the way we live is going to have to change.

SheepStar

HifiHoney....my sister's nickname is HiHo so it just came to me like that.

Yup, hopefully it's helping in the fuel economy department.;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
HifiHoney....my sister's nickname is HiHo so it just came to me like that.

Yup, hopefully it's helping in the fuel economy department.;)
I've read that they do nothing but make noise....

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

I've read that they do nothing but make noise....

SheepStar

I can't say one way or another since I've had it on since new. Either way I'm saving the environment buy not throwing away a dirty filter every 6000 miles....go me!!

:p

jinjuku

jinjuku

I think the only person who should be ashamed is you,i worked my balls off for 25 years at the same job in the hot sun & freezing cold,no education that mama & daddy paid for behind me & worked my way to the top of my feild,on my own & paid for my wifes education out of my pocket at the same time, what i have & can give to my family is 100% paid for including my home,i buy every major purchase used & have no outstanding debt at all & you accuse me of living above my means:rolleyes:

If you drive in Detroit as you say you do try it between 7am & 9am or 5pm to 7pm monday through friday,not just to visit where the other half lives on the weekends,you might visit Detroit on sunday riding in on your white horse of valor from Ann Arbor to eat lunch but you aint doing it on a daily basis and you sure as he!! aint doing it on a bike,i know this because they'd beat you over the head & take your little bike then sell it for crack.

You try to paint a picture of me as some materialistic idiot & that may be true but i put my money where my mouth is,how bout you,i spent my afternoon today with my wife buying a neighbor kid who's parents are gambling addicts new clothing ,we spent over $300 of our own money helping others today,last month my counterpart at work & myself donated the cost of material ($875) to put a roof on an elderly womans home,what have you done to help others lately,something that cost you money you worked for.

You have preached about my short cummings but i try my best to be a good person & to make up for things i did wrong early on in my life,im dying to know what you do to help others aside from berating other people for not driving vehicles that you approve of.

I am not here to get in a pizzing contest. I saw someone with alot of bling driving a gas guzzler complaining about gas prices. I think everyone here tries and is a decent and good person.

You and me both have done it by our own bootstraps then, me with my software dev company and you with whatever you do.

I am not berating you for driving anything. Just pointing out the fact that one should sleep the bed they made. Whether its a nice or not nice bed. The realization is what I do today helps make someone elses bed tommorow. Maybe I have a social concious in overdrive. You have my apologies.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I can't say one way or another since I've had it on since new. Either way I'm saving the environment buy not throwing away a dirty filter every 6000 miles....go me!!

:p
Amen to that! Did I mention they make a sexy noise? :D I can't wait to hear VTEC roar out of my intake!

SheepStar

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
One last jab at Us car makers, they're interiors BLOW. Cheap with a capital CH.

SheepStar

Ever think that may be b/c many are made in Canada?:p

BTW You all are welcome for all the jobs we created for you making the pollution eschewing, gas guzzling, econobox crushing trucks and SUVs for us down here.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
One last jab at Us car makers, they're interiors BLOW. Cheap with a capital CH.
Another sweeping generalization. Plenty are crap sure, but plenty others rival some of the Japanese ones, just depends on the model. I love my Nissan Maxima, but my GMC Envoy SLT has a nicer interior actually than the Maxima does. My Envoy interior is also nicer than my previous car was, a Honda Accord EX which had leather seats & the fake wood trim, so again it just depends on the make and model.
Sorry for the hijack. Back to oil.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis