Gas (Pricing) Is Getting Flatulent

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Living in a tri-state area myself. I live in PA where our local prices have gone from 2.79/g to 2.99/g. I work in NY where prices have gone from 2.99/g to 3.29/g. On the way to work, I go past the tip of NJ where prices have gone from 2.59/g to 2.79/g.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Think it was $3.45 for premium in by burg last time I purchased any. I wouldn't be surprised to see four bucks in the not too distant future. Wall Street and the Fed (same thing) say there isn't any inflation to speak of so I'm not concerned.;)

Mort (gas bill about a hundred bucks a month no matter what the price it seems)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't know that was possible.
My commute is atleast 150 mile a day round trip,thats just going to my office,if i have to hit a few different job sites then it can go as high as 300 miles a day,these miles are on a 3/4 ton heavy duty truck thats fully loaded down,six days a week.

My wife drives her Expedition around 50 to 75 miles a day,it add's up real quick:mad:.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Luckily for me, my commute is to my home office with a cup of joe in tow. I have went six weeks w/o filling up.

From my travel abroad over the years (England, France, Japan) I have found one thing out: Our gas prices were WAY subsidized. Most of the world never saw prices for fuel like we had for the better part of a century. Now we are @ more of less equilibrium in what the stuff costs.

I know that Big Oil is part of this and making money hand over fist. But again I go back to the fact that we are a complacent citizenry that has allowed our government to be taken over by big interest. Everything from big: cable and telcos, to energy, to insurance, to entertainment. I have a total round the wagons mentality in this regard. It's only going to get worse.:(

jinjuku

jinjuku

My wife drives her Expedition around 50 to 75 miles a day,it add's up real quick:mad:.
One person in that Expedition? if so hold on while I cry for you. Ok, done. The gall to drive a road tank like that and b.it.ch about gas prices:mad:

Next you're going to tell me that minivan or station wagon couldn't do the same job if it is indeed used for hauling anything more than a bag of groceries and a set of golf clubs.

Last edited:
M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Kind of interesting to look at past threads on this subject from 7/07 and 11/05 and find the same dialogue over virtually the same price ......and that's when oil was considerably cheaper per barrel (and the dollar was worth quite a bit more as well)

Mort

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
One person in that Expedition? if so hold on while I cry for you. Ok, done. The gall to drive a road tank like that and b.it.ch about gas prices:mad:

Next you're going to tell me that minivan or station wagon couldn't do the same job if it is indeed used for hauling anything more than a bag of groceries and a set of golf clubs.

Ok MR. enviroment with a fresh mouth,if ya must know i have children who play sports,alot,she also has a sister who is an amputee who needs constant help getting her wheelchair in & out of the car,if thats not good enough reason's for ya too bad,it'll also make you happy to know that she also has an Explorer that she drives sometimes,or she can drive a Mustang we own but the power scares her.

You can feel free to put your family in some wimpy lil station wagon & send them out into rush hour Detroit Michigan traffic, when it comes to my wife & kids I want them in something that will run over a moron in a Dodge Neon ,with a stupid lookin Blue Tooth clipped to his head & the trunk lid ratteling from obscene amounts of bass, & still keep going.

Furthermore,i'll drive what i want because i can afford it & im the one who eats the bill every month,if you dont like "road tanks" then thats another too bad for you.

Btw,i dont own golf clubs thank you,i own motorcycles,when they need hauling i do it myself & i do it in a half ton truck that i own & drive for off work purposes,i dont drive my wife's cars much.

Any other questions i can answer for you about my personal life or as to my decisions about why i buy what i do ???

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Kind of interesting to look at past threads on this subject from 7/07 and 11/05 and find the same dialogue over virtually the same price ......and that's when oil was considerably cheaper per barrel (and the dollar was worth quite a bit more as well)

Mort
The July increases I think were related to refinery fires and shutdowns and other reasons for low availability vs. demand. I have a hunch this time it's much more a systemic U.S. economic and political problem. We have several world leaders hacking something into press microphones about WWIII! (The two principles, though, being Bush and that Iranian guy...Mahmoud Imanutjob.) Iran has the world's 4th largest oil reserves. Other reasons....Saudi Arabia is taking a financial beating with their huge U.S. Treasury Bond holdings and are set to cut us off, the free-falling U.S. dollar (the U.S. is printing money like it's a big game of Monopoly), Venezuela problems, China's emerging oil demands, etc.

I believe we will see $5 per gallon before the end of next year.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You don't need an expedition to haul a wheel chair. A mid sized V6 powered SUV will suffice perfectly fine for all of those tasks. Hybrid Highlander getting the best Fuel Economy, which seems to be a concern since it pisses you off. :confused:

You need to wise up when it comes to the moder car. No longer do you need a massive car with a giant motor to be safe and able to get around. I bet a Hybrid Highlander would be safer and quicker then that Expedition. Trust me, I've driven hundreds of them. The Big American Automakers still use ridiculous displacement in all of their cars. They new Dodge Caravan has a 4 liter V6, but I bet a Sienna with it's 3.2 or 3.5L (can't remember) would trounce it in speed and towing. Also, the size of a vehicle doesn't dictate safely. Look at Volvo for example. With a well designed chassis and ample crumple zones the passengers are actually safer. The car is supposed to blow apart in a crash, it absorbs the energy so the occupants don't.

One last jab at Us car makers, they're interiors BLOW. Cheap with a capital CH.

SheepStar

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ok MR. enviroment with a fresh mouth,if ya must know i have children who play sports,alot,she also has a sister who is an amputee who needs constant help getting her wheelchair in & out of the car,if thats not good enough reason's for ya too bad,it'll also make you happy to know that she also has an Explorer that she drives sometimes,or she can drive a Mustang we own but the power scares her.

You can feel free to put your family in some wimpy lil station wagon & send them out into rush hour Detroit Michigan traffic, when it comes to my wife & kids I want them in something that will run over a moron in a Dodge Neon ,with a stupid lookin Blue Tooth clipped to his head & the trunk lid ratteling from obscene amounts of bass, & still keep going.

Furthermore,i'll drive what i want because i can afford it & im the one who eats the bill every month,if you dont like "road tanks" then thats another too bad for you.

Btw,i dont own golf clubs thank you,i own motorcycles,when they need hauling i do it myself & i do it in a half ton truck that i own & drive for off work purposes,i dont drive my wife's cars much.

Any other questions i can answer for you about my personal life or as to my decisions about why i buy what i do ???
The basic jist of my post is you can buy whatever the hell you want. Just don't go whining about the cost of maintaining it. Which is what you were doing. I drive in downtown detroit also. Never had a problem with the Corolla(the wifes) or Altima going to a ball game or Slows BBQ. I mostly bike weather permitting (bank, post office, gallong of milk etc). Really nice Gary Fisher Kaitai with saddle bags. She buses into work (U Mich).

Guaranteed that Expedition is carrying around 1 passenger 90% of the time. Trust me I checked out your ht link, conspicous consumption at its best. I have the means to live way beyond what I do, but made a conscious decision not to. The earth can't sustain all 6 billion people owning literally stacks of McIntosh gear, Mustangs, Expeditions, Motorcyles etc.

Hope you don't learn the hard way that land tanks aren't as safe as you think. I would feel safer in alot of respects, actual driving, world politics, terrorism. We have a "I am entitled" society with disregard for others.

Yep, we have each other pegged. But one of us should just feel slightly ashamed.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

The basic jist of my post is you can buy whatever the hell you want. Just don't go whining about the cost of maintaining it. Which is what you were doing. I drive in downtown detroit also. Never had a problem with the Corolla(the wifes) or Altima going to a ball game or Slows BBQ. I mostly bike weather permitting (bank, post office, gallong of milk etc). Really nice Gary Fisher Kaitai with saddle bags. She buses into work (U Mich).

Guaranteed that Expedition is carrying around 1 passenger 90% of the time. Trust me I checked out your ht link, conspicous consumption at its best. I have the means to live way beyond what I do, but made a conscious decision not to. The earth can't sustain all 6 billion people owning literally stacks of McIntosh gear, Mustangs, Expeditions, Motorcyles etc.

Hope you don't learn the hard way that land tanks aren't as safe as you think. I would feel safer in alot of respects, actual driving, world politics, terrorism. We have a "I am entitled" society with disregard for others.

Yep, we have each other pegged. But one of us should just feel slightly ashamed.
Oh brother..

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Mort
That should tell you that the gas price doesn't track well to the barrel price. So it is all artificial then? Whatever the market bears?
Also, I wonder if all the drilled oil is sold at the spot commodity prices or that is just some of it and most are sold by contracts outside of the commodity markets?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Oh brother..
Oh brother yourself. Lets revisit this topic in 20 years and see how the collective population is doing... Better or Worse. History is the ultimate judge of who has it wrong and who has it right.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Oh brother yourself. Lets revisit this topic in 20 years and see how the collective population is doing... Better or Worse. History is the ultimate judge of who has it wrong and who has it right.
Since you've mentioned history...
The oil issue is pretty elementary. (and old news)
The Arabs have most of the world's oil.
The Arabs and Israel hate each other.
The USA is allied with Israel.
The Arabs won't sell the USA cheap oil, for that reason.
This started 10/17/1973 (As per the History Channel)
Letter from the OPEC Nations, to the U.N.
"The Arab-dominated Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) announces a decision to cut oil exports to the United States and other nations that support Israel."
http://www.history.com/media.do?id=tdih_1017&action=clip

jinjuku

jinjuku

Since you've mentioned history...
The oil issue is pretty elementary. (and old news)
The Arabs have most of the world's oil.
The Arabs and Israel hate each other.
The USA is allied with Israel.
The Arabs won't sell the USA cheap oil, for that reason.
This started 10/17/1973 (As per the History Channel)
Letter from the OPEC Nations, to the U.N.
"The Arab-dominated Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) announces a decision to cut oil exports to the United States and other nations that support Israel."
http://www.history.com/media.do?id=tdih_1017&action=clip
How does any of that relate to the facts?:

1. Oil is a finite product. They ain't making it any more
2. Oil companies are in agreement that there aren't any more 'Elephant Fields' left on this planet
3. We(the U.S.) consume around a quarter of the worlds energy and produce the subsequent polution. Midwest Coal fired power companies are actually getting sued by 8 New England states.
4. With India and China ramping up it's only going to make the situation worse

Yes I have a slightly dooms dayish outlook.

Here is a short blog about oil fields and faith based economics of oil.

Everyone is entitled to their belief and opinion here. Reality really doesn't care what any ones opinion or belief is. The trick is to at a very large level align those beliefs and opinions with what reality is most likely to be.

An explanation of this:

Link
link2

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
How does any of that relate to the facts?:

1. Oil is a finite product. They ain't making it any more
You brought up 'History' in your earlier post, so I spoke to history.

As to your assertion, oil being a finite product, is the same story they gave us back in 1973.
I remember seeing commercials with a picture of the planet earth, with a faucet sticking out of it.
A hand would appear on screen, turn the faucet, and a single drop of oil would come out.
The commercial is what known as a "Straw Man," it helped misdirect the American public from the real reason of an "oil shortage"
That reason being, we pi$$ed off the guys with most of the oil.
The same, still holds true today.

Oil is finite, so is the power from the sun, for that matter.
Just how much so, is anybodies guess.
If you know, please tell us, so we can mark our calendars.:)

Matt34

Matt34

I still fail to see how HiHo's Mac collection is somehow having a negative effect on the rest of us? Or how you think he's living above his means as you suggested to.

Preach on about your tree hugging ways but leave the snide comments too yourself.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief

In HiFi's defense, most if not all of his Mac gear was bought on the cheap, used. If you knew him better, you would know this. He works hard and makes his own money. He doesn't count on the government to pay his bills. He is entitled to spend it the way he wants. I'm sure he is saving for the future as well.

I don't think he was whining too badly about the price of fuel, just answering the OP, but that doesn't mean he has to like the price of fuel, either. Personally, I don't feel he has to be ashamed of anything. He is a responsible, tax paying, employed husband and father that takes care of his family. That's more than you can say about a lot of people:eek:

As for you, good for you that you bike, walk and work at home! Not all of us can do that, either. If you feel safer in a Corolla than a big SUV, well.:rolleyes: If you want to be "green" then why don't you get a diesel and run it off of Bio or vegetable oil from the local grease joint instead of feeding the big oil companies?

I spend about $4-500 bucks a month on fuel as well because I'm in sales. Yes, I spend a lot of time in the office on the phone as well, but I still have to go on the road...a lot. Do I like the oil prices? No. Am I complaining about prices? Yes. Do I conserve when I can? Yes. I also have to have fuel to make a living, though.

Conservation, alternate fuels and vehicles that get better mileage are key for our future, I agree, but we also have to live with what we have for now, to a point. Infrastructure is just not in place at the present to switch over to alternate fuels overnight. The American public does, however, need to push for alternate fuels and cleaner burning cars and trucks. Passivity is no longer an option.

FWIW, that's my two Lincolns.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I still fail to see how HiHo's Mac collection is somehow having a negative effect on the rest of us? Or how you think he's living above his means as you suggested to.

Preach on about your tree hugging ways but leave the snide comments too yourself.
It's not about living beyond means, He could be very well living within his means. I never implied that he is or is not. What I said is that I live below my means. I have never under stood the 'Mountain of things' culture that we live in. You realize that as rated to a happiness scale the U.S. isn't up there. Yes there is a happiness quotient out there.

Over consumption and having 5 of everything regardless of your ability to support that life style is not at issue here. I have to wonder how many of you have at least visited another country if not lived there.

I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy of someone complaining about the cost of a gallon of gas in light of:

1. The rest of the world has always paid a much larger premium for a litre/gallon of gas than the U.S has till recently. You don't know what you have till it's gone as the song says.

2. Buying a vehicle that you and I both know is statistically driven by one person better than 90% of the time that gets AT BEST 19MPG, and most likely in the mean of 15-17 MPG.

Smack a hammer all you want on your own thumb, just don't go around crying about it. You have a stack of McIntosh/Bikes/Big V8 SUV's. Suck it up, don't be a wimp and stop whining about gas prices.

At least I am providing some outside sources for my viewpoint. Where is yours?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis