Enter to Win: Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speakers from Aperion Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BobBart

Audioholic
1. Have some on my pc and would like some for the kitchen and an mp3 player.
2.Yes as long as the amp is high quality.
3. It should sound just fine.
4. Poor sound quality for the price.
5.Very important.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Contest Questions:
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
One, if you count a powered sub.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
Yes. Where the power comes from doesn't matter as long as it satisfies the speaker's demand.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
Yes and yes.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
The sound quality isn't even close to my other speakers.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Very important.

M

minimalist

Audiophyte
Aperion powered speaker survey

1. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?

We use iTunes and our iPhones to control music streamed to multiple zones in our house. Good quality powered speakers would make setting up these zones a lot easier. I am one of the 5 poeple who actually bought the iPod Hifi and it is OK in a pinch but I mess the real stereo seperation and punch of real bookshelf speakers.

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?'

Yes. For their use that is. I would never compare a set of small powered bookshelf speakers with my main home theater setup.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

I'm not interested in wireless hometheater speakers. But we do use Apple Airport Expresses in other parts of the house to create music zones. For those spaces, well built, quality powered speakers would be great.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)?

My Ipod HiFi lacks good stereo separation. The bass is OK but its a bit boomy. Why Apple didn't include wifi in the units and the ability for iTunes to stream directly to the them I have no idea. It might have actually sold well had they done this.

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

Extremely important. We use iTunes, multiple Airport Expresses and the free remote app to crate a poor mans's Sonos system to stream music to multiple zones all over the house. If Aperion would create affordable powered speakers it would give me a choice beyond Audioengine A5's.

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:

No
  2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?

All things equal (drivers, enclosure, electronics) I don't see why they could not sound as good.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

Actually at this point a wireless, powered surround is the only consideration I would give to adding surround speakers again. I would more than likely match them with the fronts and replace my existing speakers.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)

I do not use a desktop system. My office and main listening areas are in close proximity.
  5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

Very important. I am streaming everything now.

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senior Audioholic
1. Sure, in my office on my PC.

2. Yes, quality is quality.

3. :confused: How would I know without listening and comparing them?

4. I use passive speakers with an amp. I would like to dump the amp but most "computer" speakers are poor quality.

5. It would be a nice feature but I don't think I would pay extra for it.

SDsparky

Audiophyte
Contest

I use a powered subwoofer, as part of my 5.1 system.
2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
Maybe, but Audessey correction would need to applied to better match system.
I currently use wireless for the rears in my system. When corrected using the Audessy features on the Denon AVR they provide adequate support for their purpose. As fronts or centers I would have my doubts.
4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
The size is a tad small, but for listening as a secondary purpose it is fine.
This is very important, I use a MX980 remote with RF so I can use it outside in Zone 2 without ever having to go inside.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, office or bedroom.
I don't see why they can't sound as good provided the design is adequate.
Again, as long as they are designed correctly, wireless speakers could have A LOT of benefits. I would DEMAND they sport the quality of any wired passive speaker I'm currently using.
I don't use my computer system for any real critical listening so I'm not too picky. Anything that presents a somewhat realistic soundstage is good by me.
If I can't use a remote, its a deal breaker.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
The only powered speakers I own now are old small computer speakers that Sony made, can be battery or 110V powered. They were a gift and are less than adequate, so I don't use them. I have a small sub sat system I use with my desktop PC powered by an old Onkyo receiver I bought 16 years ago.

Sure if the system is well designed. I haven't personally used a large powered system for home use. I have used or have had used for my old band JBL powered professional speakers (PA use) and I thought they sounded great.

The technology I'm sure is there, but I don't see many large powered wireless systems. I use large surround sound speakers, and I would definitely consider using powered wireless speakers if available and able to match to my front speakers. I'd especially like to do so when it comes time to use an 8th & 9th channel in the surround set up.

Again I use a passive sub sat system and have them powered externally by an Onkyo receiver. I'd prefer a system that I could control more easily from the desktop without having to reach over to the receiver. The computer speakers I have found have been lesser quality, so I rather have to piece my own system together rather than have an all in one system that performs less than my sub sat system, which is of course not perfect by any means but does well for position by the computer.

It would be wonderful, but I have yet to implement such a feature into my system. I still run into my main room and adjust the source and track that plays over speakers in zone 3. I hope to fix this in 2010!

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic

I currently owned Eden Electronics powered studio monitors that i use in my bedroom on my desk to hook up to my laptop.

They can but i would say most of the time they don't. There are a lot of benefits to separating the power components from the speaker.

Probably not and No

The size and efficiency of the speakers is impressive for what i paid for them. The sound quality is nothing too special but its not my main system.

Hah! I am using a preamplifier thats so old it doesn't even come with a remote.

D

dapig

Audiophyte
survey

Yes, both home and office PC

Only if speaker design accounts for the addition of AC interference

No, not a consideration

Pretty good sound, cords are too short.

A good remote is a necessity for me.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic

No need for powered speakers.

Sure they can, with the right specs, I dont see why they could not sound better.

Have not hear wireless speakers that sound too great, So I would stick with wired for now.

Desktop systems usually have to sacrifice dynamic sound for the footprint size. So sq is usually a problem.

Very important. The smooth transition of song to song from various sources is always a big plus.

W

wyllisx1

Junior Audioholic
on my computer setup

not crappy ones i have

can't see why not

it's not that great & could use a real update

don't have it now but that would be awesome.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
I do! In my small office.

I believe it's possible, but rather difficult to achieve the same quality of sound within the space constraints.

I suppose for surrounds they could easily match the sound quality, my concern would be tonal quality. I would consider this, especially given my cathedral ceilings which make running wire in wall bloody difficult.

I like the near-field listening experience (feels more immediate and real), and the high quality available through 24 bit FLAC.

For my main listening room, not terribly important. For my office set up, it's wonderful, I skip around constantly and love the ability to do so.

kelley_aj

kelley_aj

Enthusiast
With both of my PCs

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?

I have never heard any that compare but, I can't imagine that with all of the technology available a quality set could not be developed.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

I would have to audition some to see if the quality was the same, if they quality was equal I would consider them. I have had a home with vaulted celings which precluded me from wired speakers.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)

sound quality and loudnes compared to size.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
I am very lazy, so very important.

A

AudioIronHorse

Audiophyte
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?[/I]
Yes - My office

I suppose they can sound good but would be limited to the amplification section.

They would have to match the sound quality. I would possibly consider it.

I have a few from a cambridge soundworks gigaworks setup to a few altec lansing setups. They all sound pretty good. The cambridge has a bit of a harsher top end.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system

Definetely important.

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
I have never owned powered speakers.

I am sure they could sound better.

I dont think they would sound better than my ms-20's but i would try it out.

I do not use a desktop speaker system.

It is very important. I am kinda lazy.

Thanks gene for the chance to win:cool:

Z

ZeroDfx

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
  1. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where? I presently only have a pair of Polk Tower speakers for my audio and am purchasing our first HDTV. I'd love to have powered speakers for the rear as I cannot run wires across the room without them being obvious and a hazard.
  2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver? I would think they could be as good, but I've never heard any wireless/powered speakers.
  3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? I'm not certain as stated above. Is this something you would consider doing? Yes, I would certainly consider doing this.
  4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality) I like the compact size of them but I would love better sound from them.
  5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? Very important; the less running and the more enjoying, the better.

Thanks for sponsoring this contest, Tom.

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck![/QUOTE]

K

KingMerk

Audiophyte
Contest Entry

As I am in the process of building my system, powered speakers would maximise my cost/benefit ratio.

It is not just the amount of power, but the quality and ability to shape and control the signal that establishes great sound, so no, not as good.

I don't feel the sound quality will match. I would consider anything if the limits of my application dictated it.

Sound quality and footprint.

Ease of use, utilitarian achievement is as important as sound

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
Aperion B Contest

Yes, we use a quality pair in our video editing system. PC's usually get medium priced PC speakers.

IF, the internal amp is of good quality, then yes.

I have seen many rooms that wireless speakers of decent quality would be a huge time, money and sanity saver.

For simple audio needs my cheap Boston 2.1 system is OK. When I want serious audio I change the default output of my PC to digital and turn on my home theater system.

Somewhat, I usually use last.FM to provide a music type tagged radio stream, its pretty rare for me to play music right from my PC.

Thanks for listening

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
A Need For Powered Speakers?

Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where? I have a high-end DVD player getting long in the tooth (at least compared to the high-definition dawn of Blu-ray) that I wouldn’t mind converting into an exclusive CD player in a room that currently has no audio playback capability but limited space for a full-blown stereo system with an all-in-one audio receiver, much less a stand-alone pre-amp/amplifier combination. I have my kitchen, dining room, or living room in mind.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver? I don’t have any experience with powered speakers (except perhaps as a reference stretch, my Definitive Technology floor-standing speakers, whose subwoofers are the only drivers powered). Having said that, I think powered speakers can (at least theoretically) sound as good as passive speakers, if the former incorporate quality pre-amp and amplifier capabilities and involve a reliably good signal receiver.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing? There is no doubt a growing market for wireless home theater components, especially surround speakers (and subwoofers). Assuming such speakers have the matching acoustic timbre with the three front channels presumably built by the same manufacturer – and, the bigger assumption, there is no signal loss or compromise in the wireless signal transmission – then I would consider wireless surround speakers in a future home theater system.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? My two-channel desktop computer speaker system sounds fine for what it represents (nothing special), but it has no bass extension due to its small size.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? A remote control capability is pretty important for all source components – and for the volume control of powered speakers -- since user-friendly convenience is highly desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis