Enter to Win: Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speakers from Aperion Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jgeorg5

Audioholic Intern
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where? -No, I do not.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver? - Yes, they can.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing? Yes, I would like them to match my passive speakers and yes this is something I would consider doing.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality) - I do not have the space necessary to get speakers of a large enough size to have the sound quality I would like to listen to music on my computer.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? - I think it is very important. Often I have music on in the background while doing chores or projects around the house and I do not want to stop what I'm working on to walk over and change songs or music source.

S

SharkyRivethead

Audiophyte
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
I do not own any, but am in the works of designing some powered speakers. They would be used for 2 channel listening.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
I believe they can sound better. The components used for the amp can be better matched with the cross over and the drivers being used. You can't get that from passive speakers paired with an external amp.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
No, I don't trust the tech behind wireless. There are to many anomalies that could interfere with the sound quality. Nothing beats hard wiring.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
For what they are worth, my computer speakers do the job. The tonal quality is something that needs some work. But if I'm only surfing the web or watching mpeg movies, they do fine. Beyond that there is no use for them.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
When I'm feeling real lazy....important. If I can't find the remote then it becomes dire. j/k I tend not to change anything when I listen to music. For mere convince it's great, otherwise it's not that important.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I have powered speakers on my computer .

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
If properly designed, I see no reason for them not sounding just as good.I often wonder how they match box volume.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
Only if the sound quality was there.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
I like them, quality is very good.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
It's definitely a huge convenience.

T

twheeloc

Audioholic Intern
1. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
I do not currently own but would like to have some for my office as the throw away speakers that came with the machine are pretty bad.

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?

Potentially depending on size and goal of the speakers. The structure and overall design of the enclosure I would think would limit it but I'm no engineer.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

Most likely not due to different cabinet resonances and design but they could sound better than my current solution.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)

Limited soundstage and clarity at low volumes (Necessary for work environment)

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

Important but not critical.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:

1. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where? Yes, home computer.

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver? Not really.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing? Would not consider, I have ran wires in wall already and I feel the sound quality would suffer.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality) Speaker are small and bass sounds bloated.

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? Extremely important!

S

sawdin

Enthusiast
Contest Submission

Contest Questions:

Yes. For my desk, they will be connected to my computer. My guess is I will also be getting some for my son when he heads off to college.

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
Honestly, I'm not sure. My guess is that high quality powered speakers will sound better than mediocre speakers + amp. Same level of quality, I don't think so.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
Possibly, though it would be best to do the setup initially using speakers that are matched.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
Getting ready to order new speakers to hook up w/ a new system. Typical computer 2.1 systems sound awful, and depending on the size of the sub, it can be problematic placing it.

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Very important! Right now, I'm walking, but that will change soon!

D

dri3835

Enthusiast
No

Yes

I would consider buying only wireless speakers of comparable quality to the front. I might do it but I don't think it's a big problem to use wires.

Quality

Very important for me

Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions:
    I do own speakers, but they are not powerful. I have an amplifier, but if i raise the volume the cone is starting to smell...
    I think speakers connected to a amplifier are more powerful.
    No... don't have that amount of cash. (live in Macedonia, expensive things here)
    I'm using Macintosh, and i like everything about it.
    Not important. I never had a system with a remote control, except DVD player and TV.

S

spartanstew

Enthusiast
1. Don't own, but could use them in my computer room.

2. I would think it would depend upon the speakers themselves, but in general, no.

3. I don't think they would match and since my HT and my living room are both fully wired for 7.1, I don't see myself going wireless in either room.

4. The one I have came with an old computer and the sound quality is terrible.

5. Very Important.

L

laulau

Enthusiast
Yes, at my computer desk.
Yes, if not driven too hard.
Possibly, if the wireless transmitter and receiver are well designed. Not something I'm likey to do.
Like the convenience and size. Dislike the upper range sound quality and shallow bass response.
Very important, I change my mind and mood far too often.

J

Jidonsu

Audiophyte
I do not currently own powered speakers, except for computer speakers. I would love to have powered speakers for surrounds so that I don't have to run wires, though.
I think it can, provided that the amp was implemented properly.
I would consider it, and I think they'd do just fine for surrounds.
I like the size, but they sound thin.
Very important, actually. I currently use my iphone to control iTunes on my computer, which is hooked up to my receiver.

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers?
- No.

- Yes they can.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers?
- Probably not.
Is this something you would consider doing?
- No.

- n/a ... only have laptops

- required in today's world of smart remotes.

R

roline

Audiophyte
Questions:

I designed and built a set of D amps on the base of one speaker and tied the other one to the master speaker. The application was for computer monitors. The original idea was based on an active crossover that I dsigned while working a Cermetek, where each speaker would be a direct connect to the power amp. The crossover circuits were designed with minimal phase shift through the pass band, Thus the speaker drivers would be driven with minimal phase distortion. I was not happy with the performance of the D amp and shelved the concept. I may retry it someday with a solid state A amp version.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver? The concerns over sonic feedback need to be addressed by the components chosen. We had to be concerned over thermal feedback when designing the topology of op-amps. Tubes would be more sensitive to vibrational feed back than FETS, so with a proper designed solid state system, there should be adaquate isolation to minimize the possibility of sonic feedback.. another concern is the possibility of noise radiation EMI pick up on a higher impediance low level inputs to the remote speakers. If hard wired, the cables would have to be high quality shielded with low loss terminations.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing? One major concern to think about is the bandwidth of the programm material needing to be reproduced. The center and front L-R should be the main power bandwith projectors, the rear channels are less demanding, I would consider for the rear speakers to install wireless. It would assist in installation simplicity due to the confines of the house design.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality) I was very unhappy with commercial units and decided on fabbing a set of Transmission Line speakers for computer monitors. Having the speakers close, I prefered silk dome tweeters coupled with KEF B200 units. Nothing like playing Weir and Wasserman while surfing on the internet or doing a little cad work. Its just like having them sitting beside you.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? There are many artists that I prefer to listen to as recorded on vinyl, cd; who's next, fire on the mountain, cars, weir/ wasserman, etc. There are other artists that I prefer to hook up the Ipod and randomize the afternoon. When entertaining while at home or at anchor, random is prefered....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis