Enter to Win: Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speakers from Aperion Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Aperion Audio wants you to win!

Aperion Audio is giving away the chance to one (1) pair of Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speakers to one (1) eligible forum member! The speakers are available in Gloss Black or Medium Cherry (winner's choice). At $225 each, this contest represents a $450 value!

Read the Audioholics review of the Aperion Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker.

Features:
  • 5.25” Woven-Fiberglass woofer delivers excellent bass and lush mid-range sound
  • 1” custom designed silk-dome tweeter for smooth, clearly defined highs at even the highest volume levels
  • Curved design aesthetic and small form-factor to blend seamlessly with your décor
  • Anti-resonant cabinet
  • Furniture-Grade finish

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence and 3) Answer the following questions in the thread below.

Contest Questions:
  1. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
  2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
  3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
  4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
  5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
Yes - for my computer system in my office.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
Yes. I can't imagine why they couldn't.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
It would be a requirement to me that they match the sound quality. I would consider doing it if the need arose, but I recently ran cabling to my back wall, so I don't need it right now.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
I like how it is compact, very easy (and quick) to turn on, and easy to adjust the volume. The quality isn't that bad, either, for near-field listening. What I would like is a higher quality system for when I'm in the room but not sitting right in front of the computer.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Very important.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Questions:

Just a junky Altec Lansing 2.1 at home... I would love a pair of powered monitors for my desk at work.

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
Yes, when played within there means.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
I would not consider it at this time. I just don't believe that it would be a good connection all the time with all the other electronic devices all about.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
Quality.

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Not huge but It's nice to have the option.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
On my computer I have a cheapo Dell 2.1 set-up.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
If properly designed, I see no reason for them not sounding just as good.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
The sound quality may be there, but they would most likely not match my other speakers, so no, not a consideration.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
The quality is not great, but for my purposes they are adequate.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
It's definitely a huge convenience.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Ohhh. I've been wanting to play with those.

1.I do not own powered speakers but could make excellent use of on my computer rig.
2.Absolutely: speakers with an onboard amp can sound as good as those with an offboard amp.
3.I would love to add high-quality wireless for a number of locations (such as the bathroom and kitchen) where I have plugs, would find running wires a pain, and don't want to setup a full system. With enough range they would be an *awesome* cheat for streaming media. Instead of setting up a streaming media device in the front room for music, and then an amp, and speakers: I could just put in the speakers and stream from another room (again, if the wireless permitted)
4.What I like about my desktop over a laptop is the ability to change out parts... plus I'm running 6 HDDs.
5.Except for my PC, which I'm usually sitting at: chaning music without walking to the unit is very important.

S

sharptailhunter

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions:
In our home office.
In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver? Yes.
If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing? I already considered doing it instead of pulling wires through our finished basement.
If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality) Currently own a logitech 2.1 system and I love the sound it produces, hate the cables though.
When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? In a home theater system, such as living room or bedroom, pretty important. In a home office system, not so much. I usually turn on something while working and kind of zone out and just let the music play. At the very least I change songs with the keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
No, I do not own or need them at this time.

I would expect there might be certain limitations depending on the setup, but I would think they can come pretty close.

I am unsure if their sound quality would match or not, but it is something I would consider.

I have my computer connected to my main audio system (Aperion 6T's).

Not very, I usually listen to a whole cd at a time anyway.

C

Cogito

Audiophyte
1.Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?

Yes, on my computer system.

2.In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?

They CAN, but only a few do.

3.If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

For the most part, yes. Wireless sourround may be optimal for convenience and certainly something worth considering.

4.If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)

I love the sound ONLY after considerable tweaking on my part. Untweaked, the upper bass is boomy and lacks any significant low end.

5.When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

Very important. If I have to get up, the "mood" is broken.

J

jamie2112

Banned

1.No I do not own powered speakers but would use them
2.Yes I have heard some great sounding powered speakers
3.I would consider it for sure
4.I do not have a desktop system
5.I would say its kind of important

When do I get my speakers?:D

Alex is not eligable:eek::p

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Yes. My desktop has a 2.1 Altec speaker system that's been chugging along for almost 6 years. A good replacement would be great!

Speakers should sound good no matter how they're powered (or not). I can see no reason for poor sounding equipment.

If I use wireless it'll be for an application in a different room so matching timbre to a previous set isn't important. Sound quality is.

The bass is muddy and thuddy. The drivers for the little desktop portion of the speaker set is weak.

Not very. Remote access is a convenience I don't need at this time.

-pat

T

TVJon

Audioholic
Contest Questions:
>>Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?

Don't own any. Could use some in my home office or MBR.

>>In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?

Aside from cheezy computer speakers and the accompanying subwoofer, I haven't heard any so I can't speak from experience. However, if the power source and speakers themselves are good, I would think the results would be good.

>>If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

I'm doing a home theater now and have the luxury of easily hardwiring the speakers I need. I'd consider wireless if I didn't have easy hardwire options, but would want to audition those speakers to make sure they match the rest of my system.

>>If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)

Small size typically means relatively poor sound quality.. I'd go a little bigger to get better sound - especially now that online video streaming is getting better, I might watch more TV on my computer.

>>When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

Very important. I use a slim devices/logitech remote to control my internet radio using Duet. It's great.

TVJon

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
^^ (Going for two in a row, Pat? :p)

Contest Questions:
***No.
***Yes
***Yes.
***I love the system...as good as my main 2-channel/HT setup.
***...of paramount importance to us old, lazy guys. :D

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
1. Yes. KRK Rokit Powered G2. Need for my secondary computer setup.
2. I've always believed source is key. If the speakers are high quality self powered or not it should and will sound great. Afterall, garbage in/garbage out.
3. Yes. Less wires = better WAF (Wife Approval Factor :p)
4. I've used computer speakers before. Tiny drivers, muddy and boomy bass, SQ is terrible overall.
5. Remotes for everything. When your in your prime listening position, getting up is the hardest part.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General

I do not currently own powered speakers but may use them in the future.

Potentially, powered speakers can sound better if they use active crossovers.

If the wireless speakers have active crossovers, good amplifiers and are otherwise well designed, they could match or exceed the quality of my passive speakers. I probably wouldn't want to deal with powering my surround speakers, so no.

I use an integrated amp to power 2 pairs of speakers. I like to be able to play streaming audio in the basement as well as the computer room.

Not very

Jim

G

griffinconst

Senior Audioholic
1. Yes I do have a crappy set that came with my compaq computer.
I would love a good set for the computer and office.

2. It seems that should be possible but I've never heard any that sounded as
good.

3. I would only consider it if they sounded as good or better than what I
have.

4. I do use desktop speakers. I like that they're small but don't like the sound
quality or their looks.

5. Not super important at my desk but a good option in most other
applications.

I am more than happy to give these babies a good home. :)

N

norm962

Audioholic Intern
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers?
If yes, where? I would like a pair of powered speakers to connect to my mp3 player---it would be ideal to just drag them outside for a bbq or bring them to my son's room or anywhere in the house without having to run wires from my reciever ahead of time.
In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?I haven't heard a hi-end pair but I imagine that they could sound pretty close. it would all depend on the manufacturer and the power source, I suppose

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing? I would have to try them out first, I have no idea if they would match up, but it they sounded good, why not!
If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)I don't have one, but I've never liked the sound quality from computer speakers---usually very tinny
When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? VERY IMPORTANT!!! I have a bluetooth gateway and can do it from my phone right now---I've gotten spoiled!

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic

I could use them in the bedroom, as an easy solution for better sound for tv and music streaming

Of course they can, and maybe even better, because every component from amp to crossover to driver can all be designed to complement each other.

They would have to match closely to consider doing it, otherwise it would be more distracting than the wires :)

They are just the speakers that came with the computer, Boston Acoustics, not bad, but they are nothing compared to a real system. Poor integration with the sub, and small sound

very important, especially if I am doing something else while I am listening

nova

nova

Full Audioholic

No

Yes, I believe they can be.

I don't think so. I'd probably not consider it without being convinced 100%

I use an AVR, 10" sub and bookshelf speakers.

Not important to me at all. A little exercise is good for you.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Count me in :D

No - don't own any - but I'd like to try them.

Depends upon the quality of the amp and driver...

They would have to be real, real close in quality in order to consider using them.

I have a small JBL BX1121 system I connect to my laptop for better sound and it is pretty impressive for its size.

Not real important but it is a convenience. It's good to get some exercise every now and then ... ;)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
[*]Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
My studio monitors are powered, and my desk at work has some powered speakers. Every place except a home theater, I prefer powered speakers for packaging reasons. Home theater I generally prefer passive because of the modularity and with my very large speakers active becomes a bit cumbersome and generally unavailable.

[*]In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
They can potentially sound better, because the amplifier can be matched with a known load and time alignment built into the amplifier circuit rather than a passive crossover.

[*]If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
I'd consider them for adding 7.1 to my existing 5.1 system. Because of my wall construction adding side channels is impossible for me (hurricane glass on one side, concrete block on the other). To add the extra two channels, wireless would be the only practical way to go.

My main worry with wireless rear speakers wouldn't be the sound quality but rather any not-practical delay. If there is a second delay or something crazy it would be hard to integrate with my home theater, or even impossible due to delay limitations on the pre-amp

I haven't had a big urge to add the extra two speakers however, because there really aren't many movies available and my room isn't huge. I would like to try them though.

[*]If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
At work I have Audiogon A2s, they are good for my low volume listening and don't overpower my desk. They do lack composure at higher volumes, as expected for their small drivers. They are a good compromise at work of having good sound without looking like I'm trying to. :D

[*]When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?[/LIST]
Essential.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis