Enter to Win: Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speakers from Aperion Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

floepie

Audiophyte
Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?

No. Only for a powered subwoofer.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?

It depends on the equipment, but there shouldn't be a reason why one couldn't expect quality sound out of powered speakers.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

The woulnd't match the quality of the mains, but I would consider doing it if running wire were problematic.

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)

I don't use a desktop computer speaker system.

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

Very important. I frequently use either a remote or an iphone application if running audio from a HTPC.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
1. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
I do not own powered speakers. Yes, I don't have speakers for my living room system at all, so a free pair would definitely help quite a bit.

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
Assuming you can hook it up correctly yourself, I'd say they can sound as good, if not better when hooked up properly.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
Yes, I'd guess so anyway. And yes, if given the option, I would definitely go wireless, it looks a lot nicer and cleaner.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
I do not have any computer speakers besides the ones built into my laptop, which are not very good, for obvious reasons.

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
It would save the time to get up and walk 8 feet, which when you're comfortable feels like a mile. Everybody knows that ;)

S

styrbjorn

Audioholic Intern
I do not own but will be considering them for surround speakers at a future date.

In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
I would expect so.

If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
I would absolutely consider this, but I'm not convinced that the current products on the market will match the quality of my passive front speakers

If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
I have a 4.1 desktop speaker system but the cabling makes it difficult to place the speakers for optimal sound (I use in a large bedroom/study)

When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Critical - so much so that I recently bought the Sony 400-disc BluRay changer, specifically so that I could play all my media without physically changing out the discs.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
1.Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?
As a speaker system for my iTouch for at work

2.In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
I would be concerned about them begin able to handle the potential power requirements

3.If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
Not sure they would or that I would go the wireless route. I am still a strong believer in wired. I have done the whole snake through the walls and would likely do it again if needed.

4.If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
I have a full 5.1 computer speaker system, although it is currently wired as a 2.1 (I use my headphones for 5.1). It is a decent sounding system, I'm not expecting super quality out of the system.

5.When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Very - that's why we invented remotes!

BufordTJustice

BufordTJustice

Junior Audioholic
My entry...

1. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers?

I do not own any, but I need them for proper surround setup; I odn't have the time/$$$ to install in-wall speaker cables.

If yes, where? Directly behind my listening position, to serve as surround speakers.

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver? Yes. I've used powered near-field studio monitors for years and they have been supremely accurate (The last pair of Tannoys I heard were easily the equal of any B&W I've heard...tho I've not sampled every B&W).

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? I believe they would.

Is this something you would consider doing? Absolutely, as it would be my only surround option.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality) I dislike the fact the the speakers usually come with such short speaker cables and correspondingly limited placement options.

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system? Pretty big. I upgraded from my last adcom pre-amp because it did not have a remote to an NAD that did for this very purpose. The sound from the NAD is not as smooth as that from my adcom, but the convenience was demanded by the commander (i.e. my wife).

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
1.Yes- computer speakers.
2.not usually, typically the amp is of lower quality than a user's main amp.
3.I would never consider wireless speakers.
4. use little JBL alien pod speakers... they sound good, but are always slipping off desk.- very ligth - and not "grippy" bottom.
5.not too important - I use i-phones as remotes with my current system, but don't require it.

P

project86

Audioholic
1) I could use some powered speakers in my garage. Currently just a little boombox that doesn't get used much because it sounds terrible.

2) That depends on your definition of powered speakers.... I have a Linkwitz Orion++ system that might be considered "powered" and it is the best I have ever heard. But even small powered speakers can be pretty good, like the Swans desktop products.

3) Probably not because they are not from the same line, not voiced to match exactly. The potential is there though, in theory.

4) I use Mackie HR824 powered monitors, and I like them a lot, but they are not typical computer speakers. Even cheap Logitech powered stuff is OK sounding for it's intended audience though.

5) Not that important to me, but it is to my wife.

L

LostinThought

Audiophyte
Contractors are mudding / taping the basement as I type. I have it pre-wired for surround sound and am researching speakers.

2.In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
My ignorance of quality speakers is the ultimate answer of this question.

3.If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
Not sure - basement will be prewired so I wouldn't imagine using wireless speakers, but maybe in other places in the house.

4.If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
My current desktop system can be loud, but the quality is significantly lacking.

5.When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Don't really listen to music so I'm not the best person to answer this question.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
Yes, either in my garage or for my reading room would be fantastic

2. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?
If built correctly with the right x-over I don't see why not.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?
They would have to match, I'm a stickler for that. I would consider the wireless but I have already ran 10awg all through the walls. Wireless should of entered my life sooner!

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality)
The limitations of computer speakers. They are great for being compact but compared to a pair of bookshelve speakers or a HTIB they can't compare.

5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?
Important but not a deal breaker.

B

Brooker123

Audiophyte
Intimus speaker contest

NO

NO

NO

The speakers came with the computer. They're all right for a computer but not for listening to music.

Very important.

T

TANK1

Audiophyte

In my office for the computer

I never heard a good or decent set of powered speakers to make a reasonably judgement about them

Maybe

Using old A/V receiver and a single center channel speaker. The sound is average, the dialogue is clear. But it really needs a set of powered speakers to for better sound and less clutter.

We all hate to walk for anything :D

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Yes they are hooked up to the desk top in the family media room.They are not very well built and sound just so-so but they work.

I believe they can and very well should in the right set-up, I would like to be in a position to compare the two set-ups and give a more informed opinion.

3. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?They prolly would not match the sound quality but in the right situation and depending on the quality of the wireless surrounds maybe the fronts could be inserted in to the HT to match the surrounds, I would consider doing this and posting all of my thoughts right here at AH.

4. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality) I dislike the quality and size , just too much to achieve such a minimal performance , time for an upgrade there as well.
5. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?It is nice to stay put when making changes but I really don't mind getting up at all, actually I prefer it as I like to have the hands on approach to the HT.
Thanks for the contest.:)

J

JB217

Audiophyte

In my living room

I havent heard a set of powered speakers

possible

Dont use one

very important

D

diegs

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
I have an older set of 2.1 logitech powered speakers, however I don’t use them. I currently have no plans to buy powered speakers.

In general I don’t think powered speakers sound as good passive speaker powered by an amp. How would an amp stuffed inside a speaker be able to supply enough clean power to drive the speakers to an adequate volume without distortion? I guess for near field at low volume levels, but for use in my home theater or living room for movie or music I don’t think they would sound as good.

I highly doubt they’d match the sound quality of my passive speakers. Maybe if I crossed them over at 120hz or higher and at lower volumes, a well built powered speaker might approach the sound quality of my passive speakers.

I don’t have a desktop, only laptops. I would a high quality and small wireless connection from my laptop to my AVR.

Not sure I understand the question; I change songs and source with the remote.

G

GH17

Audiophyte
Aperion Intimus 5B contest

Contest Questions:

I do not currently own any powered speakers, but I could definitely use some in my home office.

So long as the speakers and onboard amplifier are of good quality, I don't see any reason why they couldn't sound as good as passive speakers paired with external amps, especially for nearfield listening.

I have been interested in wireless speakers for a long time, but quality of sound has prevented me from buying any. I would definitely consider adding wireless speakers if I could achieve same/similar sound quality as with my traditional gear.

I do not have a desktop computer. As a result, I am limited to laptop speakers or headphones. While my headphones sound great, I with I had a set of high quality speakers I could plug my laptop into so that I could also hear things like the phone and doorbell.

Extremely. Aside from those times when I am auditioning high quality source material, remote control over my music is an absolute necessity.

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nearprairie

Audiophyte
Aperion 5B giveaway

Answers to questions:

1. No and no.
2. In my experience, powered speakers usually sound better (in the near field).
3. Yes and yes.
4. Age and sound quality.
5. Once one has fingered a remote, it's hard to haul one's flaccid, sagging tookus out of a chair to do doggone near anything.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Contest Questions:

No, I don't currently own powered speakers, but have considered using them in the past and will again in the future for any new systems I configure. Future use would be in a home theater application.

Yes, in theory powered speakers could sound superior to passives, especially if they are bi-amped with steep cross-overs and internally EQ'd for the flattest, most extended response possible from the design.

Yes, it is a major consideration. Ideally, the surround speakers should be sonically matched to the other system speakers if not identical models.

This doesn't apply to me personally.

Remote control over the entire system is of great importance to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:

I don't currently have any powered speakers. I'd love to have a nice pair of powered speakers on my PC.

Sure. In fact, I think they may give you some advantages over passive speakers. For instance, you can place them farther from the amp (I presume).

I wouldn't mind adding wireless surround speakers to my home system, especially since my surrounds are on some pretty long runs of 18AWG wires. Maybe it's 16.

I'd like to think that any speakers I add will be a nice sonic match for my front channels (currently, I have a pair of NHT 1.3As in the surround positions, and they are a nice match).

I do have speakers on my system, and, frankly, they suck. Just some el cheapo plastic Polks that came with the PC. Nothing good at all about them other than my wife doesn't complain about them being too large.

It's a nice-to-have, but I don't mind getting up to pop in a new disk. My remote does a nice job with everything else.

A

AGuinn

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:

Q. Do you currently own or have a need for powered speakers? If yes, where?

A. Do not currently own, but have used powered speakers/subs before in live sound applications. Currently I'm hunting for some small, powered speakers for use as near-field monitors since it will simplify my rig.

Q. In your opinion can powered speakers sound as good as passive speakers paired with an amp or receiver?

A. In my experience, powered speakers can sound as good - or better than comparably sized/priced passive speakers when the additional cost of amps/crossovers are figured in.

Q. If you add wireless surround speakers to your home theater system, will they match the sound quality of your passive speakers? Is this something you would consider doing?

A. Not really a consideration for me as I already have a matched 7.1 setup and the cables are fairly well concealed. It would be difficult to get power (110v) to the surrounds with their mounting positions in relation to available outlets.

Q. If you use a desktop computer speaker system, what do you like or dislike about the system? (size, sound, quality).

A. I don't use a dedicated desktop speaker system at this time. I plug my laptop directly into my AVR and use the existing 7.1 setup. The desktop speaker systems (sold for that purpose) I have heard have been underwhelming to say the least.

Q. When you are listening to music, how important is the ability to change songs and source without walking to your audio system?

A. Not very, I've always placed my equipment rack so that it's within arm's reach of my listening position.

crewst

crewst

Enthusiast
Aperion Intimus 5B contest

Master BR is in need of some powered speakers to step up from the TV speakers.

Powered speakers would most likely not sound as good, unless they are capable of handling processing that an amp/receiver would normally do.

Sound quality would be a concern. Unless sufficient reviews existed to convince me I wouldn't sacrifice much quality, I would not consider them unless wiring was not feasible.

Small 2.1 system. Surround would be nice for gaming, but for most cases the 2.1 produces reasonable sound quality for the size and price

Very important in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis