Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificate from SVS

What attribute do you consider to be the most important in a good subwoofer? (pick 2)

• SPL

Votes: 24 16.6%
  • Low End Extension

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Tactile Response

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Low Distortion

Votes: 90 62.1%
  • Minimal Compression

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Size (footprint)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Finish (wood-grain, etc.)

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic
I chose low end extension.

More and more movies are reaching low end barriers of most subs to reproduce the ultimate movie experience. Most people want bass to be felt and not heard. A nice low end extension will really draw you into the movie during an explosion or car chase etc.

Why do you think the Butt Kickers are so popular?

eddiem67

eddiem67

Audioholic
Reason I say footprint, you can design subs that support low end extension with very little distortion, problem is, it is some massive box the size of a coffee table, or the enclosure might be tuned to certain frequency, any below it is horrible. Designing an enclosure that can take care of the lowend without hogging up the room is my main concern. So come on Sunfire build an 15" or 18" sub, they seem to be farther than everyone else with this design.

B

Bobber

Enthusiast
I agree with Mr. Lamb Fries
"Low with little distortion at a high spl. Size and look are not important to me"
We have a PB12-Plus/2 in my daughter and son in laws home theater room. They love it, it sits in the back of the room and does its thing....shaking the house :) with movies...and the music sounds good also...B&W 703 series towers, HTM7 center, and 4 surrounds...Yamaha RS-V2500 for now..
Sometimes u suggest something u have read the reviews on and its a hit.... this is less costly than my B&W 750 and out performs it for HT... music the two are close..the SVS has more volume but i needed a smaller foot print for my living room....for the HT I hope to do soon the SVS is hands down the winner. IMHO

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
....I say the entire range of a sub, with special emphasis on the entire range......

Last edited:
loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
A subwoofer must hit down to 20Hz cleanly with little distortion.

E

EnemyWithin

Audiophyte
I bought a PC Ultra because I wanted low end extension. I bought the second one because I want serious SPL's :) Low distortion is also important and comes in a close third.

F

Fratt70

Enthusiast
I would say tactile response and low distortion. That is what I would want most in a sub woofer and what I would pay for. But if all things were equal the look/style of a sub would be the the winner. Real Wood, Glossy, etc. Since it is so big and likely to be noticed in the room, it should bring something to the room. All that said I wouldn't say no to a SVS cylinder sub ugly or not.

aircare1

aircare1

Enthusiast
Poll response

Low distortion seems important for any sound transmitter... some of these options are foreign to me as I'm a novice @ audio/video expertise...:D

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Music First

I chose tactile response and minimal compression as these should have more impact with music. But SPL and low end extension are important when watching movies.

J

jas ly

Enthusiast
distortion mainly... but what is the point of a sub (in ht at least)with out the tactile responce?

R

randymoe

Enthusiast
Distorted

Nothing Worse Than Ruining A Great Concert Or Movie With Distortion Distracting Your Entertainment.

suburbanDK

suburbanDK

Audiophyte
absolutely low distortion uber alles.

that said, it DOES need low extension, otherwise why even have one?
a decent looking enclosure sure helps with the decor, too.

G

gulmer

Enthusiast
Low end extension with low distortion, for sure, low distortion very important.

S

socra

Audiophyte
subwoofer attributes

a sub-woofer should excel at what it is made for. it better play low. it should also sound good while doing it!

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
gulmer said:
Low end extension with low distortion, for sure, low distortion very important.

There are many aspects to a subwoofer and SVS excels in delivering a good price/performance value ratio. I don't think looks of a sub are important as the sound itself- however, the cylinder sub's are interesting from SVS- as its not the look but the design or form factor.

Low end extension- I think the cylinder subs in svs go low without needing extensions, but remember one thing is(and I'm not a spokesperson), is that SVS is good at trying out new things. TO me, however its the price/perfomance value and how much power the sub drives.

Low end sound frequencies are Very important to me, but asking whether an extension is important isn't necessary Getting a Sub that can go low without low end extensions is great, but I can see how SVS made it so the user can select to do it him/herself at the expensve of quality in other subwoofers

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
tech2enable said:
There are many aspects to a subwoofer and SVS excels in delivering a good price/performance value ratio. I don't think looks of a sub are important as the sound itself- however, the cylinder sub's are interesting from SVS- as its not the look but the design or form factor.

Low end extension- I think the cylinder subs in svs go low without needing extensions, but remember one thing is(and I'm not a spokesperson), is that SVS is good at trying out new things. TO me, however its the price/perfomance value and how much power the sub drives.

Low end sound frequencies are Very important to me, but asking whether an extension is important isn't necessary Getting a Sub that can go low without low end extensions is great, but I can see how SVS made it so the user can select to do it him/herself at the expensve of quality in other subwoofers
.....Tech, good first post, welcome, and I'll never forget how my SVS 16-46 Plus unpowered cylinders sounded on Pearl Harbor, and actually, on the parts of the movie that were laid-back....anyone's sub will blister the room with gunfire being produced, but the low quiet rumblings are what gets me....HT leaners....you might consider a pair unpowered, snag you a couple of cheap 2 channel amps somewhere to strap, apply LFE, and it would be dive for a foxhole, Forrest Gump....you'd not send them back....with no port plugs, the 16-46 cylinder's internals are tuned down to 16 cycles....you equipment owners with a high percentage of HT to Music, take heed....placement is simple....in the corner, couple of inches from both sidewalls....no use for plugs, trust me.....sure, they also come powered.....

R

Robert Miller

Audiophyte
Most musical sound

I voted for low extension , and low distortion.

I would add: 1. The sub-woofer should not seem like or sound like a separate part of the overall sound-field, but seamlessly blend with the midrange and tweeters in presenting the lowest end of the spectrum.

2. A certain musicality must exist so that all low notes (lowest notes) are clearly heard without lack of timber or richness of tone. At the same time pressurizing the environment with the lowest tones that you feel and hear in a live concert (and I am not talking about volume here) is essential to a truly musical experience.

3. Many commercial subs seem to handle explosions just fine, but are completely stumped when it comes to BOTH seamlessly working with the mids and highs in the satelites for music and movie soundtracks, and still provide that gut shaking low end present in many movies.

Gamers may have some different priorities, but these can generally be met with rather low cost subs, as the richness and musicality I want so much is not so important for that use.

Robert

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis