Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificate from SVS

What attribute do you consider to be the most important in a good subwoofer? (pick 2)

• SPL

Votes: 24 16.6%
  • Low End Extension

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Tactile Response

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Low Distortion

Votes: 90 62.1%
  • Minimal Compression

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Size (footprint)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Finish (wood-grain, etc.)

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I picked Low End Extension. It's called a sub-woofer. Which to me means I should be getting those sub frequencies, usable and accurate to well below 20 hz.

edit:

Doh! I didn't realize it was multiple choice. I would have chosen Low Distortion, too. :(

Last edited:
L

ljbrun

Enthusiast
extension and low distortion

looks are not important - I got a houseplant sitting on top of it anyway (periodically need to re-center the plant though).

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
little distorstion & high spl :)
i want not only to annoy my neighbor, but I want it to sound good while doing it :p

M

Mark512

Audioholic Intern
Low end extension and low distortion sounds great to me!

T

tanglin

Enthusiast
Low distortion is paramount.

Looks are also if it's in view - ask my wife!

B

blacksquid

Audioholic Intern
I want to be able to hear those ultra-low frequencies as accurately as possible. That's why I prefer low-end extension and low distortion.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I went with Low & Low
Distortion #1 and Extension #2
However looks are very important to me as well.

With all that clean bass - I would certainly want to show it off;)

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
I clicked on minimal compression, but I meant to hit the low distortion button. Oh well!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Here's my $50's worth

Tactile Response & Low Distortion.........but I want it all, big time spl, low end extension, nice wood finnish, room correction eq, musical, and small enough to please my wife...No problem, right SVS!:D

SBF1

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
I may be in the minority, but I don't need a lot of loud, low bass. I like it clean. (low distortion) Also, while its nice to keep me happy...not being nagged keeps me happy as well...so it has to meet WAF. (footprint) Oddly enough, she actually liked the cylinder subs.

D

daman4799

Junior Audioholic
I went for lowwwwwwwww end and looks. Although I wish I could have all mentioned on our choices. I think I'm turning into a BASSMAN.

Later, Daman

sjsrocks

sjsrocks

Audiophyte
Low End Extension and Low Distortion is what I look for.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I've answered low end extension and low distortion.

As you can see (in my signature) I have a PB12-ISD and I treasure it.

I must say that on occasion it is more pleasant to playback a concert in my HT than being at the Montreal's Bell Center for a live concert. The Bell Center was the 2004 world leader for events, so they know what they're doing. But there are times when the sound system is overwhelming because it is so loud. With the addition of my SVS subwoofer this year, concerts are a thing of beauty and movies can be spectacular to no end.

T

thunderbird

Enthusiast
:D Tactile response and low end distortion are the main priorities, then low end extension. The rest are incidentals.....
Tom Andry said:
SV Subwoofers wants your opinion!

SV Subwoofers is offering (2) $50.00 Gift Certificates redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (December 31, 2005) to forum members that take the poll above and post your more specific response to the question in this forum.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Take the poll above and elaborate in this contest thread:

What attribute do you consider to be the most important in a good subwoofer? (pick 2)

• SPL
  • Low End Extension
  • Tactile Response
  • Low Distortion
  • Minimal Compression
  • Size (footprint)
  • Finish (wood-grain, etc.)

Note this contest ends on December 31st 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
A sub should provide a smooth transition into the lower frequencies without any noticable gain in volume. The lower it goes the better. Clean Earth shattering bass is awsome. I have yet to experience a sub that goes below 30Hz.

The attributes that I consider the most important in a good subwoofer are:
* Low End Extension
* Low Distortion

PS: From Santa I want to <20Hz subwoofer. And piece on Earth. :D

Last edited:
HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Low End Extension of course, it is called a subwoofer for a reason :rolleyes: It's primary function is provide sound at low end of the audio spectrum to compensate/add to an entire speaker setup.

I also chose finish because it is a piece of furniture and presentation is everything as they say!

Edit: I wonder if Finish should called something like Build Quality to encompass more traits?

B

BobBart

Audioholic
It has got to go low and with low distortion at the same time. I like to feel it shake the house and my body.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
Without a doubt, low end extension with low distortion. I've gone and listened to peoples setups with one of those HTIBs that claim to have a sub but only reach down to 35 or 40 Hz. Then I have them go listen to a system that can hit 20 with the same material. Almost always I get the comment "I didn't know what I was missing".

That, exactly, is what a good sub should do for a system. I love high SPLs as much as the next basshead but the reality of my family life is such that I rarely listen at or near reference levels. A good sub should be able to produce convincing results without my reciever turned up to "11".

Looks are nice, but only to the degree that my wife doesn't reject it, past that point I rarely use a sub as a display piece of furniture. I know those that would disagree and have rooms where they "showcase" the looks of their system, but on a reasonable budget of $400-$800 for a sub I'd rather have the money spent toward sound than looks.

I'm not even certain what "tactile response" means - does this refer to room shaking or musicality?

Ok, SVS, make my Christmas merry!

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
Not to be a bandwagon jumper, but obviously low distortion and low end extension are key. The poll did not give "flat/accurate frequency response in its target frequency range" as a choice, but if it did I may have chosen that. You can have a loud sub that plays low with low distortion but has an uneven frequency response and I would not choose it (over something like say, my deliciously accurate PB10-ISD :D ).

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Tactile Respsonse and Low Distortion

My tops are tactile response and low distortion. However, SPL and low end extension are also of paramount importance to me when chosing a subwoofer, so to say only two of these are more important than the other, it would be by fractional degrees.

Fit and finish are a "nice to have", the cylinder shape subs are an excellent feature. Best "bang for the buck" is also a must. With all this in mind, it's no wonder my current choice of champion: SVS 20-39 PCi! :D -TD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis