Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificate from SVS

What attribute do you consider to be the most important in a good subwoofer? (pick 2)

• SPL

Votes: 24 16.6%
  • Low End Extension

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Tactile Response

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Low Distortion

Votes: 90 62.1%
  • Minimal Compression

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Size (footprint)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Finish (wood-grain, etc.)

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
M

MrPorterhouse

Audioholic Intern
Even cheap subs can make SPL, so that's not a biggie.

Good Low End Estension is a must for HT, but that's not what sets apart a top performer.

Looks are not related to performance, and those can be polished later, so that's not it.

I'd say its the right combination of tactile response and low distortion when hitting high SPL at low extension, with tactile response being the one factor if I could only pick one.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
MrPorterhouse said:
Even cheap subs can make SPL, so that's not a biggie.

Good Low End Estension is a must for HT, but that's not what sets apart a top performer.

Looks are not related to performance, and those can be polished later, so that's not it.

I'd say its the right combination of tactile response and low distortion when hitting high SPL at low extension, with tactile response being the one factor if I could only pick one.
.....and, imo, the "voice", of the sub, is what brings tourist dollars into town, mister.....I've seen the vision from a guy who IS a card-carrying Audiophile to start thinking in terms of the "voice" of both individual speaker elements, and speaker elements in-crossover.....consequently, you tin-eared Neanderthals snap to it....hurry....move it.......

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Vote: low end extension + low distortion

I want to be able to feel the low notes in movies and music (yes, there is music that goes that low) without hearing what I shouldn't be hearing. Low distortion is related to SPL, of course. But you can load up on multiple subs to increase SPL and avoid compression. I wouldn't want a sub advertised at high SPL but with the unspoken reason being high distortion. Information, and lots of it, is my friend.

Note: I don't know what tactile response means. The subwoofer can touch me? I can touch it? It responds to my touch? It's alive? :p Is there a scientific definition for this term?

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
My ideal sub has very good low end extension with good clarity.

Senior Audioholic
Low Distortion. On top of everything it has to sound good.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
for music in my small room I don't really need 14Hz. Looks are important (WAF).

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Much like the speaker question earlier, best sound is most important to me. Therefore I voted for low distortion.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
All factors have some importance, but it's GOT to go low. Price is also an important point.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
A sub has to be able to play low. Why get a sub if you're still not going to hear whats on the CD/DVD?

And a good sub has to have low distortion. What good is recorded bass if everything sounds like the back of some highschooler's Honda civic?

Who cares what a sub looks like? you don't listen with your eyes.

kia303

kia303

Junior Audioholic
I like a sub that has good tactile response and low distortion, ultra low extension is not real important to me.

Loner

Loner

Audioholic Intern
LOW extension and LOW distortion for me. I can feel that base drum and pipe organ as we speak!

To STS9FAN:

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." -- Bill Clinton
He certainly did....FAIL....lol

"We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur" Al Gore
What do you expect from the mighty creator of the intenet AND a very sore loser? LOL

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Low end extension and low distortion are the most important. A sub can be hidden in the case of bad appearance. Another sub can be purchased in the case of needing more SPL.

Pat

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
Low distortion (maybe using servo) and low extension, <20Hz (+-3db), are the most important factors.

L

lbjazz

Audioholic Intern
Low distortion and minimal compression are very important to me. Low end extension is a close third. I care more about how good a speaker sounds before anything else. A sub with a lot of compression annoys me to no end and distortion is just plain yuk.

A

AFJumper03

Junior Audioholic
Low Distortion for sure. nothing sounds worse than when the bottom falls out on a sub and u hear that low waaaa and the end of every heavy note. I dont know if that makes any sense but Im sure you know what I mean. That vibration is just terrible, like nails on a chalkboard.

B

Babyface

Enthusiast
I felt limited by only two choices. I would sacrafise looks for performance, but it so much nicer to own a sub that looks awesome and you don't have to hide. One impessive piece you can awe you friends with. Sound importance is what I want. Friends and girlfriends can deal with it. But good looking subs makes it much easier to sell them to family guys with wives who don't understand his home theater passion.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
I wish I could have picked 3. I want low distortion, low extention, and high SPL. I don't care about size and a nice finish is just a bonus.

Thucydes

Thucydes

Audiophyte
I voted for low end extension and tactile response as these are the two things I love most about my current SVS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis