Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificate from SVS

What attribute do you consider to be the most important in a good subwoofer? (pick 2)

• SPL

Votes: 24 16.6%
  • Low End Extension

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Tactile Response

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Low Distortion

Votes: 90 62.1%
  • Minimal Compression

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Size (footprint)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Finish (wood-grain, etc.)

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Low end extension and high spl are what I choose, I like it low and loud.

jthomp27

jthomp27

Audioholic Intern
hat attribute do you consider to be the most important in a good subwoofer?

* Low End Extension - #1. I need the sub to create all low frequencies in movies..even if I don't hear them (I only feel them)

* Low Distortion - #2. - I want the sub to sound as good as possible

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
While not one of the choices, I'm a firm believer of room correction. In my system it's handled via my Lexicon MC12Bv4, but I would never recommend to someone a receiver that doesn't have a competent room node processing. But for many systems, having this feature in the sub is a valuable feature. It eases setup and greatly helps towards good sound.

Chris

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
Low Distrotion and Minimal compression

I'm very sensitive to compression and I find it very distracting.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I chose SPL, low end extension, tactile response, and low distortion. I believe they are all important and linked.

A high SPL, coupled with low end extension provides the tactile response that makes movies engaging, at least to we HT nuts.

Low distortion is important, obviously, because a subwoofer that outputs distorted sound is less than desirable. Distortion detracts from SPL, extension, and tactile response and can result in muddy and undefined bass.

Compression isn't a real big deal to me as long as it is not excessive.

Size really doesn't matter to me as long as I have room. My DIY sub is very large, about 3ft cubed. It is extremely potent and goes very low with the Atlas 12" driver.

Anyone who has seen pictures of my subwoofer knows that looks aren't high on my list. :) I never got around to veneering it. It is plain MDF with glue showing. Besides, when I have a dedicated theater room where it will usually be dark no one will see it anyway.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Tactile response and low distortion first and foremost, listen to alot of acoustical music and want to be able to hear the bass as accurately as possible even when things get moving fast. After those, low end extension for watching movies.

Steve

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I was glad to see that what I expected was confirmed. Audioholics care more about sound quality than appearance.

Nicely done, fellow 'holics. Nicely done.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I chose SPL, Low end extension and Low distortion. I believe all three are equally important for a reference quality sub.

Lets hope I get selected as one of the winners, it will put my PB-12 Ultra that much closer to my living room and further out of my wish list.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
Since I listen mostly to music with my system I am after accuracy and a very musical sounding subwoofer. A PB-10 or 12 is on my wish list.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
for me sub is used mostly for movies so i picked
low & loud

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
SPL and Low End extension. It's hard to go loud and low. ;)

V

Vader

Audiophyte
Low End Extension, for obvious reasons, is important to me when evaluating a sub. However, no matter how low it can go, it must do so without distortion. I feel that a good sub will deliver exceptionally smooth base, which is equally as important if you can hear it, or simply feel it.

K

kearaboss

Enthusiast
i really hate compression, and when you get into the realm of good subs, they all sound good, but a good finish differintiates some

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think that a sub should have awesome extension, and low distortion. But the other properties are important too (aside from finish). A subwoofer that has low distortion and good extension is useless if it starts compressing at 85dB.

G

got_hp?

Enthusiast
im going with SPL, but not just a "one-note wonder".........big spl throughout the whole lfe range, all the way down to the very low end extension, so that kind of includes choice 1 and 2 as one choice.

finish/appearance comes in a very close second for me. it has to look great to guests who dont even know what it is.

my current sub certainly does not do the job, but the custom sub im having built should satisfy me.

atleast for awhile......heh

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis