Enter to Win: $50 Gift Certificate from SVS

What attribute do you consider to be the most important in a good subwoofer? (pick 2)

• SPL

Votes: 24 16.6%
  • Low End Extension

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Tactile Response

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Low Distortion

Votes: 90 62.1%
  • Minimal Compression

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Size (footprint)

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Finish (wood-grain, etc.)

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
B

beer4u

Audiophyte
I like more music than HT, So i would say tactile response, low distortion.

R

rjh22

Enthusiast
Bass Priorities

Although I like low bass, I'd rather that a sub be able to play fast and musical. I'd rather it be able to accurately convey a bass guitar than an explosion in an action movie.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
I'd have to go with Low distortion and extension. Looks mean nothing to me

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....I say, at what distance will your front-firing sub snuff a Bic lighter?....you know when that low one is coming....right before it, flick that Bic at 6 inches away from the cone....run the music back then try a foot away....then two foots....etc.....

.....edit....mini-barns from SVS are front-firing....the opening/door for oscillations to exit the box and head for the room, faces you, and is in the middle, three inches off the floor, 12" tall by 16" wide....four 12 inch Plus elements saw indirectly out the door....the sub is rated to take 2500 watts continuous....I ain't braggin', I'm so very fortunate....what?....yeah, Bic way out there.....

Last edited:
R

RonK

Enthusiast
I have to agree with low distortion, but I was looking at the viewpoint that most good subs would already have low distortion, but there are big differences in spl, so that's why I think sound pressure level would become more important among subs, given similar distortion ratings...

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Low Distortion

I'd say Low Distortion and Tactile Response. I love to hear low notes with least distortion on my sub with perfect response to changes.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Its all about SPL for me, I love the bass that you can really feel

N

Nuzy

Audioholic Intern
Like many others, I'm for low end extension with minimal distortion (I guess the perfect balance, whatever that may be). I'm not too concerned about looks (other than I want black color to match my speakers) since, for my particular room setup, I can tuck it in a corner.

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
My current sub which is part of a 5.1 satellite system package, doesn't seem to go below 35-37Hz. I've heard other subs that go way lower. I feel that the low end truly adds to the experience.

In addition to low end goes low distortion. Again, owning a inexpensive satellite package prooves that they have a lot of distortion once you get to a certain level (my receiver could also be a factor but thats a different issue).

In summary, low end and low distortion.

-Lou

B

briggek8717

Audioholic Intern
Low distortion and Finish for me.

I want it to sound accurate, but it also has to be approved by the wife factor so it must look good too.

R

royw

Audiophyte
i vote low distortion and tactile response. i like to feel accurate bass

S

sgoldin

Audiophyte
A sub that distorts is not worth having. It will only make the music sound poor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis