Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
expert

By poll standards Im an expert...but I certainly wouldnt consider myself that.

:)

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Good knowledge but need some calibration assistance

and some more bass would help!!!

Unless u dedicate your life to this, I can see making the expert ranks. And, I've been at this AV stuff for quite a while.

H

HiJon89

Audioholic
I can buy all the equipment and set it all up myself, but I still rely pretty heavily on auto-cabliration. I have a bad ear for that kind of stuff and usually prefer a more bass-heavy sound and to have very active rear channels to help bring me into the movie rather than an accurate reproduction of the source, so if I calibrated my system myself the sub and surrounds would probably be at +10dB.

T

tarzanboy

Audiophyte
I hope to move from good to expert shortly as I try to calibrate my system. Still looking for a receiver though. Should get one soon. I would love to get some Axiom speakers. that would be a great addition to any system

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I can set everything up from start to finish with little problem. I CAN set stuff up without using the auto-calibration features of the receiver, but I do have problems getting the subwoofer to a good level. So I put myself down as "good knowledge".

cheers,
supervij

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I know enough to know, I don't know many things. But I know enough to put a system together and read the manual. My family and friends believe I'm an expert. My wife knows that I research anything that costs more then $100.
I have to say, I do love this stuff.

E

ephelon

Audiophyte
Good Knowledge

I would hesitate to consider myself an expert, since I believe that my knowledge when it comes to fine tuning the sound of a system could use improvement. That said, my own theatre system is really nothing to speak of yet, and I'm currently looking to invest in some nice speakers. (Hint hint) ;)

I so have some experience with professional audio in a small community theatre space. I replaced much of the aging and underpowered equipment in that space with a pair of Behringer EP2500 and added a 600W sub. I was also using an RSD AudioBox for audio routing/playback and show control.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
I put in good knowagle. I can set it up without any major problems. I also have no troubles running the inwall wires for the side and/or rear surrounds.

F

fw3308

Audiophyte
I can hook things up from start to finish but as others have posted this is a never ending quest to tweak and do things better from asking questions of forum members here, reading trade publications, or even asking the experts a direct question. As technology changes so does my need to stay on top of things as quickly as possible. It also helps shape what you may or may not purchase as your knowledge grows.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
I've always had an interest in this hobby, but only got into it seriously in the last year, with the majority of upgrades in the last few months.
I've learned a great deal just from reading posts on boards like this and used it to research my gear before purchasing. Actually hooking up all the wiring was never all that complicated to me, as I've messed around with crappy receivers and speakers for years; but learing how to use a SPL meter, calibrating sound and video, and phrases and terms such as " bright", "forward sounding", "excursion" and "macroblocking" were really lost on me when I started this. I've learned a great deal about how my equipment interacts with the room. I'd never really listened to how music sounded in different parts of the room before, particularly bass, and how placement has such a big role in sound.
I have to send a big thanks to the moderators on this board and all the people who've responed to all my noob questions. You've helped me learn a lot! I'm no expert, but I can now set it up from start to finish and tweak it here and there!

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
i setup my friends home theaters using my trusty radioshack SPL meter and avia/DVE disks. i am constantly "crawling for bass" and messing with the toe-in angles of my mains. when shopping for a new house, the floorplan of the living room was the main factor in the place i bought due to the ability to pre-wire the place for inwall speaker cables and position 7.1 speakers in the correct places along w/ my 50" DLP

L

Lex

Enthusiast
I have a decent knowledge level - enough to somewhat accurately calibrate an HDTV, position & tune a 5.1 system, & evaluate a DVD player to see just how well it handles weird cadences.

That said...I'd like more experience playing with A/V, but am limited by budget ;)

E

emiller7

Audiophyte
As much as I like to listen to good sound, I don't have the time to stay current with the latest technologies. That's why I like Audioholics soooo much!!

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i consider myself a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to HT, i try to read up as much as possible, and hooking an entire system pretty easy to do.

i wouldnt say that i have such great ears that i could calibrate anything though.

but i try to keep up to date as much as possible, and read as much as i can before making any type of ht purchase.

S

swm6500

Audiophyte
I chose good knowledge because I have always been satisfied with my setups. When I upgrade later this year I may have a wake up call coming, but I don't think so.

J

jas ly

Enthusiast
Well I do not have any problems setting up my equipment. I don't like using the auto calibation... takes out half of the fun.

But I wouldn't call myself an expert... I Canadian, we are humble. I am in awe of how knowledge some of the other member have... wow.

So I would say I have "Good Knowledge".

T

TakeItEasy

Audiophyte
Using the information in this forum, I have been able to successfully calilbrate my existing system and add some quality upgrades along the way. I would say, I can accurately setup/calibrate my system to my preferences. I think that is all that matters, how it sounds to you!!

R

rsoenneker

Audiophyte
I put basic knowledge; I can setup a system, but probably not nearly as well as some of these folks that've done it a dozen times.

there's so much to know and so much more to learn... that's half the fun.

U

upyourkilt

Enthusiast
Good knowledge

I picked good knowledge because my buds think I am an expert. I know there is lots to learn, and learning never ends. This sounds like fun when you can learn what you love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis