Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

giantslayer

Enthusiast
I was a little hesitant to put "good knowledge" because my experience is somewhat limited, especially compared to people on this forum (the only system I've ever owned was a receiver and two bookshelf speakers). However, I do kindof know what I'm doing hooking things up (I regularly help out with A/V stuff at my church), I have a good sense of where to place speaker, I have a good ear, and I am also really good at tweaking things (EQs, tv display settings, guitar amp/modeller settings, and other unrelated things) to perfection (or in a perfectionistic manner) in general. So the description for "basic knowledge" didn't really fit me.

T

TheX-Man

Audiophyte
I'd like to think I'm somewhere inbetween basic and good. I voted for good because I did simple calibration with a radio shack spl and avia, and hooked everything up correctly. However I'm a newbie when it comes to trying to equalize the sound.

T

tomme35

Enthusiast
My back ground in electronics coupled with an interest in AV stuff enables me to do a HT set-up from start to finish, though just for some low end to low middle stuff, with the use of a sound meter and/or some cabliration discs.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
[twang] I am the bestest at setting up the 'quipment. Ya hear??! [/twang]

E

eyeQ

Enthusiast
I'd rate my overall knowledge of any of my hobbies as way above that of the average person (HT, flashlights, dirtbiking, cars come to mind).

I rated myself 'good knowledge', as I have a very good grasp of connections, I can make my own adapters or wires, I can calculate resistances to keep an eye on impedance issues, and I can -- and do -- assist friends when they're shopping for something AV, or if they say 'damn, my dream is to one day buy a Bose system', which I heard 2 times in the last few months.

One thing I haven't done yet is use my new-to-me Radio Shack dB meter, and DVE disk to calibrate things.

Matt in Bowmanville, Ont.

G

gblais

Audiophyte
Basic knowledge. No problem wiring the components together or selecting a new component but I have no experience in calibration. It's just that for me AV is not a hobby but something that I get interested in every 10 years or so when it's time to replace my system.

I'm currently replacing everything, got a new tv (32" Bravia), a dvd recorder and a dvd player (Oppo 891). 3 Axiom speaker on order (2xM60 and a VP100). Next item is the receiver (probably a yamaha 1700) then the 2 surrounds and a sub.

D

Droshi

Audiophyte
I can set it all up, tuning and calibrating sometimes takes time to get it just right depending on equipment. Even then I sometimes get the itch to redo settings.

D

dws

Audiophyte
Basic knowledge only. Hook up and go only. Ready to learn more to fine tune and enhance the listening experience. Great website.

K

kalrith

Enthusiast
I voted good knowledge in the poll, because I can set up my system from start to finish. I've always been tech savvy, but I didn't get my first HT system until a year ago, and I'm still working on the finishing touches. Thanks to mainly this forum, I've been able to get all the info I've needed along the way.

B

Brion8

Audiophyte
Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Since I'm new to the game, I haven't been through the whole setup and calibration. I could probably do it, but at this point, I'd still say I only have basic knowledge. Thanks to sites and forums like this though, I'm learning more each day!

-Brion

D

dennisdxl32

Enthusiast
Basic

I'd consider myself at the Basic Knowledge level, as I have hooked up a 2.1 system in my apartment. Everything works and sounds okay, but no fancy setup or calibration. I'll be assembling my media room in a couple of months (finally!), and hopefully will move up to the "Good" level by the end of it! :D

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I picked good, but honestly I think Im between good and expert. I know how to pick good equipment and set it up. My adjusting ablity isnt expert but I dont use any auto features. I have to say that I learned most of what I know from this site, and am learning a lot everyday.

Sean

B

bluecaps

Enthusiast
Knowledge

I have setup my home theatre myself in my home and my friends. I have read enough knowledge base to get this knowledge.

R

redcaps

Audiophyte
Basic knowledge

I have basic knowledge and I am learning new things everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis