Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garence

Audiophyte
Good knowledge

I have set up my own and others systems; used SPL to set up systems during grad school.

S

snowy1

Enthusiast
axiom giveaway

i replied expert mainly beacuse i have been doing this for years. setting up audio systems.

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
I replied "Good" since I have stopped trying to keep up with the newest technologies.

I

Indiansprings

Audiophyte
I have a good audio/video foundation. I love this site. Things are happining very fast in the A/V world right now. Very exciting indeed. :D
Boy I sure could use $1000.00 right now too do a little shopping over at Axiom:D

R

realzed

Enthusiast
I really do wish I had more time to play with this sort of stuff, but most of the time I can get it my system working sufficiently enough to enjoy most of the newer features but still have lingering fears that it could all work a little better if I really knew what I was doing.
I have a limited knowledge of electronics coupled with an age-related lack of complete understanding of all of the current lingo and newest gimmics and terminology. Because of this a lot of the newer A/V equipment out there, some of which I have purchased lately, leaves with the feeling I am missing the utmost performance I should be achieving from my system - but I plug away at it. From time to time based often on tips picked up from these forums, I occasionally find little things that amaze me - part of the fun I guess!!
The audioholics forums have been a wealth of assistance in just being able to lurk in on exchanges to get tips from members who are obviously a lot more cutting edge than I...
Thanks for the opportunity to enter the contest... - Randy

T

Tod

Audioholic
I'm a little less than comfortable with only the most advanced features, most of which don't apply to me anyway. I also haven't done much with an SPL meter and manually working with eq settings. Not afraid of digging into menus and making things work though.

eatadonut

Audiophyte
I don't need any manuals to set up any system I've come across recently, but I won't put expert because it seems like there's always someone around who shows me a new trick.

G

Garfieldthecat

Audiophyte
Basic, since I can put everything together, but have been out of the new tech for many years, and am not up to date on everything. To me, that balances out to Basic knowledge (but it's improving)

mcleod

Audiophyte
I would say that I can set up and calibrate.......but where does it end :)
Now I'm exploring room treatments, specifically bass traps.
This hobby never gets boring.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have lots of general knowledge regarding how to properly set-up a home- theater. It started years ago back when I first got involved with car audio. Over the years, I have learned a lot and applied that to home audio. From there, really got to put what I have learned into my own ht. Furthermore, I have developed a very good ear for making things sound a bit better due to speaker placment or adding things to my living room to help smooth the overall response. Consider myself to be somewhat of an "audiophile" but by no means do I know everything. It is "that" what keeps this hobby interesting and I hope to learn as much as I can thanks to forums like this one.:) :)

R

raf1005

Enthusiast
With an engineering background I am easily an expert compared to the average joe.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a pretty good basic knowledge set: i can plug stuff in, set levels, measure responses etc etc etc. But I'm really in th dark about acoustic treatments, and how to get better bass smoothness.

L

leaguer1leafs

Enthusiast
I would say, like most of us, good knowledge but in this industry/hobby there is also more to learn and new technology always coming out!!!
JJ

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
I wasn't sure how to grade myself. I am just getting started with all of this. I have no problem setting up a basic stereo and TV and figuring out how to get everything going but I am very new to the HT environment.

The whole idea of using a SPL was very new to me. I didn't even know it was needed! :)

I put my level at Basic Knowledge though I think I could have passed with Good Knowledge. I rather grade myself lower and look more impressive then to grade myself higher and look like an idiot. :)

I still haven't purchased my HT yet. I am still doing research and learning by reading all the threads.

This place rocks!

Last edited:
J

jwood966

Audiophyte
My quest for AV knowledge started right here with Audioholics "Our picks to buy" article. Since then, I have purchased and setup my first home theater and am continue to learn more from this site all the time. Currently, I am trying to learn proper calibration to get the most from my system.

O

owasse

Audioholic Intern
I answered that I have basic knowledge. Although I did not have any trouble setting up my 5.1 system, I learn alot from the posts in this forum. I haven't purchased a spl meter as of yet (but am planning to).

S

satwar

Audioholic Intern
I try to keep up with the technology on forums such as this and hence know the features I require before purchase. Home electronics is a hobby for me and I have a good understanding of audio/video wiring so installing and hooking up is no problem. I set up sound levels myself but struggle a bit with subwoofers and video processors are way above my head, so I wouldn't call myself an expert.

C

cmistero

Audiophyte
I posted basic knowledge only because I have been reading a lot over the last 2 months. I have never owned a decent audio system, but have learned what to look for from these forums. I actually am ready to pull the trigger on the m22's with qs8's and vp150 and looking at the hsu vtf2 mk3 sub.

ziggster

ziggster

Enthusiast
axiom contest

i picked good knowledge because I can hook up and get the vast majority of things running. I can do some calibration (spl meter type stuff) and am the go to guy for my friends and family on a/v stuff. The big area I'm pretty dumb in is in room acoustics ,I most definitely have much to learn...

M

misterkit

Enthusiast
I would rate myself pretty high, although not a total expert. I sold electronics for about 5 years and then changed careers so I am not totally up to date with the new stuff. I can hook pretty much anything up.

Tom Andry said:
Axiom Audio wants your opinion!

Axiom Audio is offering $1000 Axiom dollars redeemable on any Axiom purchase to one (1) randomly selected winner!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response below in this contest thread.

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis