Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

se-riously2

Audioholic Intern
I can connect everything, setup using a SPL meter (no auto setup), figure out sub placement, adjust sub phasing, etc. without using a manual. The only one I had trouble with is the Denon receivers (which I love after setting it all up). Manual is terrible, and some of the settings are non-intuitive (unlike my old Onkyo). OSD is a must, which is why I'm no expert.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I picked "Good knowledge".

Room Treatments, advanced calabrating with analyzers, and proper room design are my weakspots.

Everything else isnt to difficult, just occasionally time consuming.

P

Palbal

Audiophyte
Not as Good as it gets!

Good Knowledge-I know that quality interconnects and the proper guage speaker wire are just as important as the components and speakers. Speaker placement and calibration are critical for seamless home theater sound. Room size and furnishings are factors too. I am not an expert because I lack knowledge when it comes to specifications of speakers and components. For this area I ask the experts and read articles.

vongerv

Audiophyte
Somewhere Inbetween

Well I voted Good Knowledge, however if there was a catagory between good knowledge and basic I would probably fit there.

Over the last 6 months I have taken a huge appreciation to this hobby and throughout this time have made an effort to learn as much as possible. Also dragging some friends in with me and together picking out components and setting them up using all the tips and suggestions given on websites like audioholics and forums like these. Happy I found a love for deleriously great sound!

F

fullmoonwolf

Audiophyte
Picked Basic because I am new to HT. I have bought quality sterio equipment for the past 37 years. So I do know how to hook up power amps pre amps, etc. Done a lot of reading (mostly forums) for set up knowledge when I get my 5.1 system. I'll be able to get the cables in the right spots but sure I will be posting for setup advice.

Regards

Scott

L

leandro

Audiophyte
Definitely think I have "good" knowledge, at least in an intellectual sense as opposed to a practical one.

I enjoy the research process and putting together the "optimal" system for a given room and price point.

Thanks to Axiom for the contest!

-Leandro

L

LucasG

Enthusiast
I voted good knowledge, I'm not an expert but I am definatly competant in the field

J

jimmy13

Enthusiast
I chose expert, however, I'd probably rate myself between "Good Knowledge" and "Expert". My background is in electronics so installation of just about anything is always "fun" and never a problem. My main system for multi-channel listening uses an Elite 56Txi, which is known for having one of the better auto calibration systems in the business - and it does. I was impressed with the auto cal but I could still hear some (very minor) flaws only on some well-recorded DVD-A albums where certain frequencies were slightly over or under pronounced. After buying a Rives Audio test CD and an SPL meter, I was able to spend a few of hours making fine adjustments to squeeze out a little more from this great receiver. Switching back & fourth from the auto settings to my custom settings reveals that I'm not an amateur at calibration - thanks to Rives and my keen ears!

I

Ironman1

Audiophyte
What does 140.6 mean to u? Long live IronMan!

I picked good knowledge. I know how to set up my entire system, never having looked at user's manuals. (seperates, 5.1 system, SACD, DVD-Audio, HDTV w/HDMI). I also have an SPL meter and know how to use it for setup and calibration.

Denon
Amplifier Technologies
Legacy Audio
VMPS

B

Bigfishe

Junior Audioholic
Not so much an expert

good knowledge

But getting there,
I can hook up and integrate anything from beginning to end.....just wish I had the funds to Implement what I "want"

and forums such as this keep helping to fuel the fire.

pretty bad when I am still "researching" Various subwoofers 3 months after my initial intent to buy one.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
I have basic knowledge on how to set things up, but as far as achieving the best possible audio - I am at a loss. I try to place speakers in ideal locations, but often times I just basicallly place them where they can fit, or where the spouse won't complain too much.

shotgunshane

shotgunshane

Audiophyte
I'd like to think my good knowledge is moving me towards becoming 'expert', then I venture on internet forums and start from square 1!

T

tigerguy

Audiophyte
basic

I checked Basic. I have some experience in hooking up basic systems, but I am just starting to learn about HT.

B

bluelawnchair

Audiophyte
Good Knowledge

I have never had much problems setting up a home A/V system but then again I am always looking to learn more.

JessyMcK

JessyMcK

Audioholic Intern
I picked good knowledge, directions are easy to follow.

T

tiggers

Enthusiast
Q: How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?
A: Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

I liked building and setting up computers. So hooking up stuff, finding information when I have trouble, and figuring out how to configure unfamiliar equipment were all skills I developed before before getting into A/V. Very helpful when included instructions are vague/poorly written.

The knowledge of AV has come from forums, like this one. And posts, like at Audioholics, where basic concepts are clearly explained without promoting any particular sponsor/manufacturer/audio theory (ie snake oil).

D

doliva

Audiophyte
musically inspired

When it comes down to the hooking up and wiring, I'm somewhat of a novice. All it takes is some trial and error, but best of all, creativity. I know the basics about sound engineering. I produce electronic music as a hobby. I use keyboard synthesizers for producing, and also use them for live performances with bands. I also have held the position of lead singer a couple of times. I use vocal effects processors and use a Roland V-synth Vocal Designer to get a sound that I want. Right now, I'm looking for speakers for live performances. I have around a 1000$ saved up for some good speakers...and I saw this contest and said, "Yeah! I could really use that!" I'll put the contest money to something productive.

Setting up speakers is a chore but when you're done...it's one of the best feelings knowing that you set up your set-up and it actually works...haha.

D

dsully444

Audiophyte
I have a good bit of knowledge about electronics. I started fooling around with Home Theaters in College by replacing my factory speakers with one I purchased from Crutchfield. I hav been addicted to it ever since, last 10 years. I am in the process of updating my own and have started with 62 inches of pure watching enjoyment from Toshiba, HD of course. Next purchase will be a sub, then AV Receiver followed by new speakers. I plan to do the installation myself and have some basis from the college years home remodeling job I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis