Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I would check with your electric company, some offer discounted rates for charging off "Peek hours". My friend in California charges his car only at night because the cost is cheaper.
Been there for nearly 2 years.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So far owning & using this EV has cost very little compared to an ICE car. I anticipate large savings for maintenance as the years go by.
My 12 year old G35, when all said and done outside of routine maintenance and fuel, cost me $85 a month. I was 100% WFH during... So really low mileage.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My 12 year old G35, when all said and done outside of routine maintenance and fuel, cost me $85 a month. I was 100% WFH during... So really low mileage.
Strike my previous post as your G35 is a gasoline car, now they I googled it ….

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday I took my Volvo C40 EV into a dealer for it's first scheduled maintenance. The warranty says do this after every 20,000 miles or 2 years. My car is 2 years old but only has ~6,500 miles on it. The car's computer reminded us to do the maintenance every time we started it. I wanted to ignore it, but wife is more easily persuaded by such reminders. She feared voiding the warranty and wouldn't stop pestering me.

Any way, there was the usual multi-point inspection on tires, brake wear, brake fluid, steering fluid, etc., but no work was needed. They only thing replaced was the HVAC air filter. Of course there was no oil change or anything else related to an internal combustion engine.

There was no cost at all for this work :). That included a loaner car for the day, a plug-in hybrid XC90, the largest in their SUV line. It felt like a land yacht compared to our smaller C40, but it drove nicely overall. We we drove it only twice for 6 miles from the dealer to home and back.

So far owning & using this EV has cost very little compared to an ICE car. I anticipate large savings for maintenance as the years go by.

My largest cost since getting this car was the 240V 50A power line for a home charger in my garage. And most of that came from the once only need for a new & larger circuit breaker box.

Insurance was expensive, but no more than for any new car.

Compare that to no gasoline or oil at all! The cost of electricity for recharging was minor in comparison. I anticipate the cost of electricity will increase in the future, but not as much as gasoline.
Ha. If you thought the XC90 was a land yacht, Top Gear seems to believe that it is "comfy," but compared to the KIA EV9, the latter is "...monumentally massive."

jinjuku

jinjuku

Strike my previous post as your G35 is a gasoline car, now they I googled it ….
This is a way of asking how can I get into a comparably optioned and appointed, EV and have the over experience of reliability and cost be roughly equivalent in today's dollars?

I sold the G35 mid 2019.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This is a way of asking how can I get into a comparably optioned and appointed, EV and have the over experience of reliability and cost be roughly equivalent in today's dollars?

I sold the G35 mid 2019.
I misread your post as that you had an old EV, so when I realized that I edited my post. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

I sold the G35 mid 2019.
The last year for G35 was 2008 and back then G35x (AWD) cost nearly 35k or 52k in 2024 bucks.
For that money today, you get either an excellent but weird-looking Hyundai IONIQ 6 or a base model of the BMW i4.
There is also Tesla 3, but for many reasons, I don't swing that way.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I misread your post as that you had an old EV, so when I realized that I edited my post. :)
And I should have been more clear in my ask. Because in about 2 years I'll be looking. I have full on Solar Termination tool kit and I've done small jobs, I wouldn't mind an excuse to put ~24Kwatt of production potential on my garage roof.

Unfortunately selling over production back to the grid has had it's legs knocked out from underneath where I live and in many other parts of the U.S.

In California it's decimated the installation industry.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Last year for G35 was 2008 and back then G35x (AWD) cost near 35k or 52k in 2024 bucks.
For that money, you get either an excellent but a weird looking Hyundai IONIQ 6 or a base model of the BMW i4.
I bought it used. To put that in Todays terms: I would need to find a 6 year old, comparable EV for $18,000 and some change and be able to drive it relatively problem free for 12 years.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yesterday I took my Volvo C40 EV into a dealer for it's first scheduled maintenance. The warranty says do this after every 20,000 miles or 2 years. My car is 2 years old but only has ~6,500 miles on it. The car's computer reminded us to do the maintenance every time we started it. I wanted to ignore it, but wife is more easily persuaded by such reminders. She feared voiding the warranty and wouldn't stop pestering me.

Any way, there was the usual multi-point inspection on tires, brake wear, brake fluid, steering fluid, etc., but no work was needed. They only thing replaced was the HVAC air filter. Of course there was no oil change or anything else related to an internal combustion engine.

There was no cost at all for this work :). That included a loaner car for the day, a plug-in hybrid XC90, the largest in their SUV line. It felt like a land yacht compared to our smaller C40, but it drove nicely overall. We we drove it only twice for 6 miles from the dealer to home and back.

My largest cost since getting this car was the 240V 50A power line for a home charger in my garage. And most of that came from the once only need for a new & larger circuit breaker box.

Insurance was expensive, but no more than for any new car.

Compare that to no gasoline or oil at all! The cost of electricity for recharging was minor in comparison. I anticipate the cost of electricity will increase in the future, but not as much as gasoline.
So far it is about 4 months for me. The average operating cost is considerably lower. My entire month of charging cost is less than half of one week of gas for the STI.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The last year for G35 was 2008 and back then G35x (AWD) cost nearly 35k or 52k in 2024 bucks.
For that money today, you get either an excellent but weird-looking Hyundai IONIQ 6 or a base model of the BMW i4.
Interestingly, the Ioniq 6 isn't selling well. It looks to be one of Hyundai's worst selling cars now, after doing really well early on. I guess the extra range due to the low cD isn't enough to get people over the looks to generate interest. Plus the interior room in the Ioniq 5 is quite a bit larger.

Since the Jaguar iPace is discontinued, I was wondering what they would replace it with. It is confirmed now, it will be the Ioniq 5.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis