lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still loving my little e-moto especially as to upgrades/options. But don't need to commute or go to work or anything like that :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I only had it for a few days, but it made our Civic seem like a racecar. :D
I'll up you one. I had to take my brand new EV in because one of the LED tail lights was out after just a few days (turns out it just came unplugged). I had to rent a car which was a Nissan Versa. WOW, what a POS. I haven't driven something that cheaply built in a long time.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
AFAIK, most people only charge to 80% anyway.
We charged to 90% for daily use and even per Telsa 100% for long travels when using the Tesla Supercharger for our model S when we had it. .. But here you have No choice at the 10 selected Electrify America Southern Ca stations. .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We charged to 90% for daily use and even per Telsa 100% for long travels when using the Tesla Supercharger for our model S when we had it. .. But here you have No choice at the 10 selected Electrify America Southern Ca stations. .
The article seems to say that is because these are high use locations, likely similar to my area, because all the people who got the free charging from EA are always there. I can go almost any hour of the day and people are there, but I rarely have to wait more than 10 min. There are two large banks of them within a few miles by me. That 80-100% is the slowest portion of the charge, so it will shorten the durations.

Our area has different "incentives" to unplug - once you have reached your charge level, they charge $3-$4 an hour for the next hour if you leave it plugged in.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The article seems to say that is because these are high use locations, likely similar to my area, because all the people who got the free charging from EA are always there. I can go almost any hour of the day and people are there, but I rarely have to wait more than 10 min. There are two large banks of them within a few miles by me. That 80-100% is the slowest portion of the charge, so it will shorten the duration's.

Our area has different "incentives" to unplug - once you have reached your charge level, they charge $3-$4 an hour for the next hour if you leave it plugged in.
I think unless these EV charging structures can be built out to handle the " possible increase" of full blown EV cars, trucks like the GOVT wants ( i think hybrid will win out) this high usage charge limitation intuitive could spread all over the states. This only forces the consumer who are own trips to stop yet again and charge up to get home and I think that alone will drive even further trade-ins of EV for either hybrid or ICE cars.. Not to mention if you can find a charge station that has all working chargers and there isn't a line of cars or trucks waiting to charge in front of you. The only Electrify America near us is at a Walmart 15 miles away. But there are a quite few Charge Point and Telsa charge stations around. I guess time will tell.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think unless these EV charging structures can be built out to handle the " possible increase" of full blown EV cars, trucks like the GOVT wants ( i think hybrid will win out) this high usage charge limitation intuitive could spread all over the states. This only forces the consumer who are own trips to stop yet again and charge up to get home and I think that alone will drive even further trade-ins of EV for either hybrid or ICE cars.. Not to mention if you can find a charge station that has all working chargers and there isn't a line of cars or trucks waiting to charge in front of you. The only Electrify America near us is at a Walmart 15 miles away. But there are a quite few Charge Point and Telsa charge stations around. I guess time will tell.
Chargepoint isn't doing well right now, but they are releasing brand new fast chargers. They are supposed to start retrofitting many of the existing ones to add NACS also. They are the most plentiful chargers around here, followed by Tesla. My work has at least 50 Chargepoint spots in the parking garage and we get a discounted rate since we're on this campus, but this business block is only a few years old and a lot of others nearby do not. One of our older, larger campuses has none. Chargepoint's main office is about 1 mi from me.

There are no Electrify America chargers within a decent range around my work. The one I use is on the way home, and is about 3 mi away in the business complex where Faraday Future is, but there is no food or retail around there.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'll up you one. I had to take my brand new EV in because one of the LED tail lights was out after just a few days (turns out it just came unplugged). I had to rent a car which was a Nissan Versa. WOW, what a POS. I haven't driven something that cheaply built in a long time.
Can't expect much from a Nissan that starts at $17k.

It still gets to 60 faster than the Corolla did. LOL

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Can't ecpect much from a Nissan that starts at $17k.

It still gets to 60 faster than the Corolla did. LOL
With 114 lb-ft of tq, it was not very exciting, but fortunately, I only had it for like 6 hrs. 114 vs. 440 lb-ft is most definitely going to leave you feeling like a slug on the freeway.

I think the Versa is a subcompact vs. Corolla being a compact.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting article on people switching back to gas. https://insideevs.com/news/726008/mckinsey-study-half-ev-buyers/

One comment , which part of it was our reason "The reasons people are unsatisfied are not related to the product," he said. "They’re switching back because of charging and resale values. "

ours was charging or lack of charging stations when we had ours, and the time required to charge while on the road. I just think it all comes down to your vehicle needs, like any car or truck be it gas, EV or hybrid and the charging infrastructure around your town.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think resale values are a big one, but looking at the used market around here, that does not impact every car. I happened to read an article last week and saw that the biggest loser is the Tesla Model S. Originally $100k plus, their lowest price looks to be around $17k. The model S was I believe also on Consumer Reports not recommended as a used EV, which might be the reason for that price drop.

I would not choose an EV as my ONLY car because of charging requirements, but because of my short commute and available chargers, it works. For long trips, I won't be taking the EV unless I KNOW there are available chargers.

Her car is a hybrid, so it is the obvious choice for long trips. Now that it is ~13 yrs old though, it is starting to have some age related issues, so we are considering selling it and buying a new hybrid.

My other car is a low mileage STI, which I am not sure what the plan is. I love driving it, but when gas is high, it costs a lot and it is also starting to have some age related issues. It has been incapacitated basically, because I can't get a power steering pump.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think resale values are a big one, but looking at the used market around here, that does not impact every car. I happened to read an article last week and saw that the biggest loser is the Tesla Model S. Originally $100k plus, their lowest price looks to be around $17k. The model S was I believe also on Consumer Reports not recommended as a used EV, which might be the reason for that price drop.

I would not choose an EV as my ONLY car because of charging requirements, but because of my short commute and available chargers, it works. For long trips, I won't be taking the EV unless I KNOW there are available chargers.

Her car is a hybrid, so it is the obvious choice for long trips. Now that it is ~13 yrs old though, it is starting to have some age related issues, so we are considering selling it and buying a new hybrid.

My other car is a low mileage STI, which I am not sure what the plan is. I love driving it, but when gas is high, it costs a lot and it is also starting to have some age related issues. It has been incapacitated basically, because I can't get a power steering pump.
One thing about cars or trucks, when you look at NEW, and then you look at not having a car payment, putting gas in a car or truck and doing a few repairs doesn't look to bad. Of course when the paid off car or truck starts to nickel and dime you to death, that's a whole nother mater.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One thing about cars or trucks, when you look at NEW, and then you look at not having a car payment, putting gas in a car or truck and doing a few repairs doesn't look to bad. Of course when the paid off car or truck starts to nickel and dime you to death, that's a whole nother mater.
For sure and the STI has been paid off for a few years. It isn't a nickel or dime anymore lol. The pump was $800. I just rebuilt the suspension and basically haven't been able to drive it. It drives, but the pump squeals and goes floppy once in a while. Not safe to drive.

Her Lexus is also paid off and has been mostly problem free until recently.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis