Dune (2020) from Villeneuve

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
OTOH I like the way Villeneuve does these as well as Arrival (and Sicario and have the Enemy rental disc now but not earlier stuff). Who were your sore points in casting in the new Dune? Bladerunner?
Ryan Gosling

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank god, Dune book already had plenty of powerful women in original story and Villeneuve avoided doing the fashinable and gender swapping main characters and doing story "remix".

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
watched last evening and enjoyed it. Definitely better than 1984 Dune.
What do you think is the chance that it will come out on IMAX enhanced blu ray?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
watched last evening and enjoyed it. Definitely better than 1984 Dune.
What do you think is the chance that it will come out on IMAX enhanced blu ray?
I expect Dune 4k BD to be released fairly soon (a few months) but Imax one - I doubt. IMAX is all about theater experience (big screen and sound) but not so much about modifying source content. Besides the original IMAX is 70mm film which has much more data than even a 100TB BD disk could hold.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
Honestly, I think I may have recast everybody. Some good actors there, but it needed to stay clear of a bunch of actors from the DC and Marvel universes. Casting good actors doesn't mean there will be good chemistry between them and it was just lacking. There were pinches of "Star Wars, "Lawrence of Arabia", "Avatar" and some Calvin Klein Obsession commercials. It simmered and never came to a boil. It took itself a bit too seriously for me and I'm not in a hurry to see the next one. Again, that's just me.
There was one scene where I though the Lawrence of Arabia theme music was going to start playing. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. Some of the music also reminded me of Wonder Woman, wonder if it's the same person scoring on both movies?

Overall, I liked it, although I had trouble understanding the dialog as well. And Mamoa just doesn't look right without his beard. Looking forward to another one, if they do it, although I am a little confused with the ending and his premonitions.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The dialog thing has me curious. Is that just the HBO Max version or the theater? Both?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There was one scene where I though the Lawrence of Arabia theme music was going to start playing. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. Some of the music also reminded me of Wonder Woman, wonder if it's the same person scoring on both movies?

Overall, I liked it, although I had trouble understanding the dialog as well. And Mamoa just doesn't look right without his beard. Looking forward to another one, if they do it, although I am a little confused with the ending and his premonitions.
Hans Zimmer did WW84 and Dune music...Maurice Jarre did Lawrence of Arabia

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a fan of the original, however I really enjoyed the new version. Villeneuve said it, go see it in the theater. I saw a review that said "Dune is too big for your TV". I would have to agree, it was visually amazing and does benefit from being on the big screen. Story is more clear, though some minor things were changed. Some of the changes, certain conversations and events occur at different times, and I felt this helped make the story a bit more clear. It takes a bit more time explaining things because there is more time to do so, but as a result it moves slower as well. I like where they ended it, is about where I expected it would stop. Casting was pretty good, no flubs like the original. Oddly, it sort of downplayed the Harkonin in this one. The crazy was a little toned down and they left out some of the depth of the side characters vs. the main ones, such as the Mentats.

The theater we saw it in has excellent sound, sound definitely does not disappoint with this one. I will have to watch it at home now and see if the bass comes along with it. WORM bass was amazing in the theater.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I was more annoyed by the poor sound at the theater than the large (well, small for Imax) screen did to make up for it. I definitely enjoyed the audio more at home plus I could use the closed captions to see what Stellan Skarsgaard was saying :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I liked it. I liked it a lot! It is a slow burn of a movie but done well I thought. I think it's much better than the '84 version, especially on the special effects side which is to be expected. I think my main gripe would be the ending. There wasn't so much of a conclusion to anything so much as it just kinda randomly stopped. The Drinker has a pretty good take on it imo.

I guess part 2 isn't green lighted as of yet and dependant on the performance of this movie at the box office. I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if we don't get a conclusion. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and Josh makes a great Gurney Halleck!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I was more annoyed by the poor sound at the theater than the large (well, small for Imax) screen did to make up for it. I definitely enjoyed the audio more at home plus I could use the closed captions to see what Stellan Skarsgaard was saying :)
I did have some issues with volume and dialogue. It's not often I have to crank a movie all the way up to 0 on the dial.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I liked it. I liked it a lot! It is a slow burn of a movie but done well I thought. I think it's much better than the '84 version, especially on the special effects side which is to be expected. I think my main gripe would be the ending. There wasn't so much of a conclusion to anything so much as it just kinda randomly stopped. The Drinker has a pretty good take on it imo.

I guess part 2 isn't green lighted as of yet and dependant on the performance of this movie at the box office. I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if we don't get a conclusion. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and Josh makes a great Gurney Halleck!
I was just about to click on that video. You can always read the book... :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did have some issues with volume and dialogue. It's not often I have to crank a movie all the way up to 0 on the dial.
On HBOMax at least it did seem to need a bit more twisting of the volume dial....wonder how the disc will be?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was just about to click on that video. You can always read the book... :)
I do think having read the book gave me a little more insight to exactly what was going on. There are things that just can't be conveyed through visuals alone and felt like I had an edge understanding some scenes over my wife, like Paul's test with the pain box and how powerful the Bene Gesserit are, manipulating things behind the scenes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do think having read the book gave me a little more insight to exactly what was going on. There are things that just can't be conveyed through visuals alone and felt like I had an edge understanding some scenes over my wife, like Paul's test with the pain box and how powerful the Bene Gesserit are, manipulating things behind the scenes.
Yeah since I read the books a long time ago I suppose it came in handy in viewing all three versions....none of our group at the theater was new to it either and seems those around us were also fans of the book....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 1984 4K disc was delayed for 2 weeks, is coming in Nov now. I will be buying this new one on disc I believe. With 2049, there's a definite difference between streamed and the disc in terms of audio and video quality.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the HBO Max version I had no problem hearing dialogue at the theater
I had more clarity at home, but didn't have it excessively loud as we had at the theater. We all had problems understanding at the theater, particularly with Stellan Skargaard's voice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis