Dune (2020) from Villeneuve

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wasn't a fan, but that's just me. If you like drap, miscast movies that run at a snail's pace and have no ending then this one will be right up your alley. To be fair, there are a few great shots that I'm sure will look good on your TV.
Have you read the books? There's a lot of world building and lore involved in the books. It's a rich, detailed universe with a lot of nuanced storytelling. Just wondering if you had a point of comparison. I'm gonna watch it tonight.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They were working on new tech for underwater motion capture for some time. Part 2 will probably be the most expensive movie ever made by the time of its release. Would like to see a 4K/atmos disc release of the first one.
I can't remember for sure, but I thought I read something about them filming the next couple all at once, a la Peter Jackson with lord of the rings. Pretty sure it is the most expensive movie project to date tho.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Coming from a sci-fi movie fan point of view. Don't get into the book to movie comparisons anymore after a few disappointments over the years. I didn't care for some casting choices and I still don't care for his style. I didn't like what he did with "Bladerunner 2049" either and only ever watched it once as well. That doesn't mean fans of the books won't enjoy seeing it get another go around on film and like it. It just didn't do it for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't remember for sure, but I thought I read something about them filming the next couple all at once, a la Peter Jackson with lord of the rings. Pretty sure it is the most expensive movie project to date tho.
I've looked into this a bit and doesn't seem part 2 exists, not the way they funded this one. Part 3 seems to be an extension via Dune: Messiah. Seems to have gotten off to a good start, hopefully they'll get a green light soon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Coming from a sci-fi movie fan point of view. Don't get into the book to movie comparisons anymore after a few disappointments over the years. I didn't care for some casting choices and I still don't care for his style. I didn't like what he did with "Bladerunner 2049" either and only ever watched it once as well. That doesn't mean fans of the books won't enjoy seeing it get another go around on film and like it. It just didn't do it for me.
OTOH I like the way Villeneuve does these as well as Arrival (and Sicario and have the Enemy rental disc now but not earlier stuff). Who were your sore points in casting in the new Dune? Bladerunner?

The book by Philip K lord helmet doesn't translate much to Bladerunner in any case (and am a fairly big fan of PKD), but at least they're using generally better science fiction sources and production values (including casting) in sci-fi movies these days generally vs the past....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't say for sure not having seen it yet, but I think that Josh Brolin was a great casting for Gurney Halleck. Josh does really well with those gruff, stoic roles. I think he killed it with Thanos in Infinity War.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
OTOH I like the way Villeneuve does these as well as Arrival (and Sicario and have the Enemy rental disc now but not earlier stuff). Who were your sore points in casting in the new Dune? Bladerunner?

The book by Philip K lord helmet doesn't translate much to Bladerunner in any case (and am a fairly big fan of PKD), but at least they're using generally better science fiction sources and production values (including casting) in sci-fi movies these days generally vs the past....
Phillip K lord helmet... lol.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, I think I may have recast everybody. Some good actors there, but it needed to stay clear of a bunch of actors from the DC and Marvel universes. Casting good actors doesn't mean there will be good chemistry between them and it was just lacking. There were pinches of "Star Wars, "Lawrence of Arabia", "Avatar" and some Calvin Klein Obsession commercials. It simmered and never came to a boil. It took itself a bit too seriously for me and I'm not in a hurry to see the next one. Again, that's just me.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Phillip K lord helmet... lol.
I'm dining out with friends and then we're heading over to the theater to watch it looking forward to comparing impressions with you bro I'm super stoked!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't say for sure not having seen it yet, but I think that Josh Brolin was a great casting for Gurney Halleck. Josh does really well with those gruff, stoic roles. I think he killed it with Thanos in Infinity War.
Josh tends to do things well IMO.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly, I think I may have recast everybody. Some good actors there, but it needed to stay clear of a bunch of actors from the DC and Marvel universes. Casting good actors doesn't mean there will be good chemistry between them and it was just lacking. There were pinches of "Star Wars, "Lawrence of Arabia", "Avatar" and some Calvin Klein Obsession commercials. It simmered and never came to a boil. It took itself a bit too seriously for me and I'm not in a hurry to see the next one. Again, that's just me.
Kinda hard not to cast Marvel and DC actors when half of Hollywood's A list is in all their movies! :p

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Kinda hard not to cast Marvel and DC actors when half of Hollywood's A list is in all their movies! :p
Seriously, between the 2 companies we're talking about what? 30+, maybe even 40 movies in the last ten years? Even Matt Damon cameoed in 2 of them. So did Brad Pitt. Keanu and Christian Bale just joined the club!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There could be something said if an entire cast were of relative unknowns but imagine super hard to get a glorious sfx budget that way....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Exactly. They need to make money using "Stars" to get people into theaters and those from super hero movies are currently the most recognizable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. They need to make money using "Stars" to get people into theaters and those from super hero movies are currently the most recognizable.
Yup, and like how cinematic universes/sequels feed on that sort of thinking as well. I prefer to think of a series like LOTR standing on its own but then the Hobbit hopped on. If Dune just does the 2 or 3, will it stop there?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just got back from seeing it

1rst you have to see it in a theater to truly appreciate it this movie was made for the big screen. Luckily the theater I go to has been very well done great atmosphere great sound

Soundtrack was great I love the score

2nd Actors were great great cast and I liked all of them they did an excellent job.

3rd Story was very faithful to the original which I appreciated as faithful as it could be. The Jihad that Paul envisions shows me that they are going to be much more faithful of Herbert's idea of Paul's character and the true nature of the story itself which I won't divulge to not give out spoilers but it's much much deeper then a hero complex or a vengeance role much much deeper brilliantly done.

And the director I'm a huge huge fan of. I love the visual beauty of this movie I love the style he brings to every movie.

Just really enjoyed this movie had a great time going with friends to watch it whether you stream it or watch it in theaters I think it's worth it I really enjoyed it

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I’m a little disappointed and not sure if it’s because it’s only half of a story or what. Josh Brolin did well in his scenes, but most of the actors didn’t really convince me. I didn’t really care if they died or not and the pace of the story felt too slow for many sections of the movie. The special effects and scenery were cool. The dragonfly helicopters were fun. I also liked the strange sound effects. I may rewatch it to see if I get more out of it the second time I watch it. Definitely interested to see how the 2nd movie goes.

I do like the movie Sicario from the same director a lot.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I’m a little disappointed and not sure if it’s because it’s only half of a story or what. Josh Brolin did well in his scenes, but most of the actors didn’t really convince me. I didn’t really care if they died or not and the pace of the story felt too slow for many sections of the movie. The special effects and scenery were cool. The dragonfly helicopters were fun. I also liked the strange sound effects. I may rewatch it to see if I get more out of it the second time I watch it. Definitely interested to see how the 2nd movie goes.

Yeah for some reason I loved it.

I think it's because I just LOVED the novels growing up as a kid. So the nostalgia factor for me was super Hi.

I'm sure if I tried to dissect it I could surely find faults but to me when a story is good enough and a movie honors that story well enough I just forget about finding imperfections and get lost in the world in the story

This movie got it right enough to accomplish that for me. I got lost in a childhood favorite world and that was more then enough for me

This director really uses visuals and world scaling so well both in blade runner 2049 and here and I'm a very visual person this combined with the sound just kindoff swept me off into another place man

Hopefully enough liked it that they can finish out the story would love to see the 2nd one and it's rumored the third leads us into Dune Messiah the 2nd novel which would be cool to see

Especially if they stay true to Herbert's moral theme about Paul and the story which has very significant socioeconomic and political even theological ideas that he uses the story to express

No one has got this part right and I'm hoping this movie and it's creators just might come the closest to doing so

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I think another reason for the slow pace is that's how the story is done its a thinking type of Sci Fi and not as heavy on the action

An example is the 4rth novel God Emporer of Dune except for the opening and ending of that book it had literally no action

It's all dialogue but Herbert is such a genius and his ideas are so deep I just devoured every page of that book.

I'm definetly going back to stream it next week to compare the experience in my own room and just to reabsorb what I watched I was so caught up in the visuals and world layering I want to see it and be able to view it less emotionally look at it with more introspection

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis