Done! Projector theater AND Planar 2-channel systems

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
A pair of these fell into my lap. Some say the 50watts/channel from my KT88 tube amp isn't enough.....with 105db sensitivity, it's just fine!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A pair of these fell into my lap.
That must have hurt a bit. :eek: :D

Congrats, btw! Oh, and darn you! Every time that I see a nice tube amp (or more, in that picture), I start to get the itch. Luckily, the itch will probably be gone by lunch. My "Cheap-A** Anti-Itch" cream works wonders.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
If it was a trio of those (Klipsch KI-362) I would have been pretty pumped, and set them up as the front stage in the theater, but finding a third was near impossible, so I sold em the same same day I got em.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Sold off my beloved JBL L100's yesterday. After all the work to refinish, it made them a bit irresistable to a buyer.
I really intended to keep them, but the deal was just too good. The replacements I picked are phenomenal. Will post a pick in the room when I get around to building stands (the milk crates they are sitting on was all I could use, they are about 80lbs each, so my other set of lowboy stands wouldn't cut it)

They aren't bookshelves. These things are massive. For reference, the woofers are Hivi D8.8+, which is a 9". Using them for my 2-channel, with the 3rd sitting in storage.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
They are Swan F3B's. Near zero info out there about them, as with most Swan products.
I got 3 of them, so I pulled the third apart to learn a bit. I knew what woofer was in it on sight, the HiVi D8.8+. Very impressive li'l 9". If you plug the numbers into WinISD they model better than nearly every other 8" on the market. In practice, they still do. In a smallish, ported config, still reach under 30hz with authority, with smooth response up though 2khz
The mid is a HiVi P5+ and a HiVi RT1.3 Isodynamic ribbon on top.
The cabinets are well-braced inside and made with 1" of wood around the entire enclose. Midrange is sealed in it's own, quite hefty partition. The crossover components are mounted to 3 separate boards, with good looking pieces. I'll post a pic of the insides if anyone cares.

It's basically the same as the well-known and regarded Swan F2.2 minus the top D8.8+ driver.....also minus the beautiful rosewood cabinet

I have owned the Swan M200mkIII for a number of years now and have always loved them, but didn't have any first hand experience with their larger speakers. Being a Chinese company with sooo many models and such attention paid to their physical appearance, I was very much expecting a thin cabinet with the cheapest of parts inside, poorly integrated.
The reality is that these are very well made (I knew the cabinets were going to be thick when I picked the first one up, deceptively heavy). Sound phenomenal. and look fantastic.
I've been using a Chinese amplifier for years now, and have loved it. That country, now, has raised up some seriously competitive audio companies, that people are really starting to pay attention to, for good reason.

Last edited:
Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Because "done" is never done.
Added a little extra headroom to the theater. Solved my distortion/compression issues at high volume

The CT400 is running bridged mono for the center channel (440w)
The CT1610 is running the front L and R channels (540w per channel)
(I haven't measured their power output ability, but the older Crowns claim that the rated power is a guaranteed minimum output at 0.1% distortion across the entire frequency range)

I've also recently upgraded the outdoor setup with a Niles SI-1230 systems integration amplifier (12 channel, highly configurable) a quartet of Klipsch CA-650 outdoor speakers (they are the 70V version, but have an 8ohm bypass switch) running under the awnings and a pair of Bose FreeSpace 51's (waterproof units, you've likely seen in planters in outdoor malls and such) buried out near the firepit area.

Last edited:
Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
After all the changes in equipment and spaces (a lot that I haven't even cataloged here) over the years of this thread, I think it may be time to take some good and properly lit photos and make a clean, pic heavy thread of where the 5 systems are at right now.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Alright, o I finally have enough power to punch on up to referrence level sound....but the speakers can't do it. Get some bottoming at high ouput scenes...mostly from the center channel. Time to find some new speakers that are capable of higher SPL I guess! Damned money pit

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis