Home Theater in Living Room

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I've been busy. Haven't posted in awhile.

Converting a bedroom into a living room. 20x14x8. It's going to be a living room with home theater equipment, not a dedicated home theater. Lots of ambient light here. Going to be low sheen SW Navajo White and SW Satin Extra white trim and eminence flat white ceiling paint. Wife Acceptance Factor is a serious factor here.

This video should give a very good idea of the layout of the room. I ramble for about 22 minutes. I've listened to it. It's weird listening to myself say, "you know" a lot.

Video

Pics

I own most of this equipment already.
5.2.4 system. SVS Ultra bookshelves LR, SVS Ultra Center, ELAC in wall surround, ELAC in ceiling (4), two SVS SB 2000s.
Pioneer LX 701 9 channels of power, 11 channels of processing
Future purchase, LCR monolith amp,
Sony X800M2, Vertex 2 edid spoofing device, Sony 295 ES projector
Going to leave networking and HTPC in a closet under the stairs in the next room, run the wire through the crawl,
All 10 gauge Knukoncepts CL3 wire, hopefully 350 feet is enough.
Smurf tube for HDMI and other connections
The I-Joists have knockouts, so I'm going to wire low voltage through the ceiling mostly.
Doing six wafers. No ceiling fan. Four wafers outside. Ceiling fan outside. Two ceiling speakers outdoors

I've got a few main questions before I start pulling wire tomorrow.

Should I just build inexpensive sliding shelves instead of buying an actual AV rack? I was considering a Sanus unit that cost 899. But that just seems crazy to buy a unit like that for the small amount of AV equipment that I am using.

Should I vent the heat into another room using AC Infinity temperature activated fans? Or will the sound leak through too much? Or should I just vent the heat into the living room away from the seating area?

Vertical drawers for blu rays? Anyone done that?

Strong WAF factor here. I've been considering using velvet black out curtains, the kind a photographer would use, to control light in the room. I had this idea to drill holes into the wood, and put strong magnets in there, underneath the trim, and then use a black out curtains with metal sown into pockets at the corners and midway points. I could then snap these curtains into place at anytime. I've would use this to control not only the light coming from the french door and the window, but also from the projector screen itself. The screen will be recessed a bit inside the entertainment cabinet, and I think blooming and reflectivity will be a problem. So I've thought about magnets and black velvet curtains to surround the screen, so that very little light will be reflected back onto the screen. Has anyone done anything like this with magnets and blackout material?

Any opinions on fiber optic HDMI cable?

Any opinions of filling the joist area with Cellulose and using RC channel? Gene said loose fill would be better, not Cellulose; he said the bass would transfer though dense insulation.

Any opinions of creating a cavity for the in wall, in ceiling for the speakers? Or just a shove it into the insulation?

Center channel will be low, close to the floor. I did some testing last year and screen height is more important to me.
Shelves to built so that the LR tweeters would be at 38inches, eye level
SLR tweeters at 48 inches, 10 inches above eye level
Five possible subwoofer locations, two midway in front, and three corners,
Ceiling speakers inside the front LR, I forgot exactly what location parameters Gene recommended when I talked with him a few months ago. I've got it written down somewhere.
Carpeted floor

My dad died two weeks ago, and I'm in a brain fog. So anything I might be overlooking please shoot. I haven't slept well since he died, and I'm having trouble concentrating. So I'm reaching out here to get some last minute advice before we start pulling wire this weekend.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis