Done! Projector theater AND Planar 2-channel systems

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic

This album is great, can't believe it flew under my radar.

...also, these decided to stay in my house.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Taken from phone, sound quality into tiny mic improves when I get closer to speaker after 30 secs. Song is played by Sungha Jung

Last edited by a moderator:
Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Updating

Finally getting around to restoring the JBL L100's I like to use.

1st off, threw together a pair of OB full-range BOFU speakers (This photo is not at the completed phase, The walnut got finished further and a pair of rear firing tweeters were added).

Here's a few pics of the JBL's in progress (only cosmetically restoring, decided that, even though they have many flaws that can be fixed with new crossovers etc., I prefer to keep them as they are as a little time machine).

All the components lying in wait for the fresh cabinets

Sanding the black finish off of the porous faces

Sanding back the veneer to clean wood

Filling the scratches and gouges with a mixture of glue and walnut dust

Sanding sealer added over the veneer.....this is all sanded back to the wood, just to fill the open pore grain of the walnut and give a flat, smooth surface for finishing

The veneers have been sanded down to 400g and coated with Deft satin lacquer. Have filled the grill pin holes and and adding layers of high build primer to get a smooth, uniform base to repaint the faces

The sanding sealer is well worth doing, creates a really fine finish once it's lacquered. Very time consuming process though. 4 coats, 1 hr dry between each and can only do 1 side at a time, followed by a considerable amount of sanding. But, again....well worth the time.

Last edited:
Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
50% complete. Also have to build out matching red walnut stands.....35% done, I guess

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
I really like the wood trim and grain on the Magnepans. Good contrast with the lighter colored panel fabric.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Almost complete on the JBL resto project. Another day or two, depending on temperature.
Then, on to an integrated table/self-powered 2 channel setup for the bedroom. (thank goodness that room is modern-minimalist, makes the finishing quite a bit easier) Then a cabinet redesign on a pair of Series II Dali 8's (they are huge and quite ugly, but, good lord do they sound good).

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Got around to getting a new shelf setup to hold some media. Just cheap stuff from Target, similar to Ikea shelves a lot of folks use, but is made to be wide with the butt joints on the proper side.
Still have 3 shelves full of cd's in the basement, but these ones get listened to somewhat regularly stay up here.

PS- I still put them together properly...throw away those allen keys and use biscuits, dowels and wood glue.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I'm on a tear here.....new piece of magic for the bedroom. Wife likes to hear music in the bedroom, I'm tired of the big KRK monitors and sub sitting there staring at me (role reversal, how you like that!?).
Building a console table to replace the one our tv sits on in there. This one will still be modern Italian styled, to match the rest of the room, but will contain a self-powered setup using the old Infinity TS-750 drivers I had laying around from a Craigslist trade long back.

Finish up paint, and add legs..then boom....on to the next thing

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
All done, kinda. Still need to find a source for some aluminum ferrules for the bottom of the legs. Sounds quite nice, looks damned good. Went Danish on the legs in the end.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis