Done! Projector theater AND Planar 2-channel systems

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Alright....this is it.... I am done with upgrading the theater AND the 2-channel music system (for the next month at least!:rolleyes:) Moved everything back down to the living room, for 1, to allow for more space for friends and visitors, and 2, an 18" deep projector in a 10" room can't exactly project that large.
And moved the 2 channel up to the 3rd bedroom, for a more private and secluded listening experience.

Also traded out the KEF's for a pair of Maggies!

This is my final thread for this junk!
Will be adding photos of both system's final iterations within the next week

First off, I'll throw up the basic layout of the living room theater. (keep in mind, I live in a fairly small townhome)

Oh, and here's a photo as I measure the size of the projection to build the screen...and also showing off my awesome muscles (insert Austrian accent here, sorry, I couldn't find the HTML code for Arnold accent)!!!

I'll finish out photo'ing the theater and am refinishing the Magnepans currently, will be done this week and photo that system as well.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Put on hold momentarily.....
.......finally moving to a nice suburban house......
...will update soon, once complete.

K

kendramarx

Audiophyte
Wow looks like a nice layout... awaiting more pics

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Okay......finally moved in.....HERE WE GOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Setup in a dedicated room in the finished basement. Shy on furniture for the new house (which is nearly double the size of the old townhouse) so back to using the 2 lounge chairs until I buy a loveseat for the front row, and a couch to put on a platform for the second row. (and, yes, I am aware that milk crates are not acceptable A/V furniture!)

Here's a shot of the Maggie's setup in the lower-level den. (the fireplace doesn't work, so don't worry about cooking those big class A's)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
man, that is the most BAD *** projector i have ever seen :eek:

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice! I see your dog gets left-channel nearfield seating like mine. :)

A

asma123

Audiophyte
this looks nice cant quite tell what receiver is that and what speakers you got

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Awesome set up! I love how clean the basement looks.

Question: How do you like the Auralex treatments? Did you ever do a listening test with and without them?

I'm curious becuase the local guitar center here is having a sale on them and I wondered if they were worth the $$.

Sean

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Awesome set up! I love how clean the basement looks.

Question: How do you like the Auralex treatments? Did you ever do a listening test with and without them?

I'm curious becuase the local guitar center here is having a sale on them and I wondered if they were worth the $$.

Sean
Little more direct and natural sounding, they bring the percieved output down a touch, but that's to do with eliminating SOME of the sound reflection.

Depends on the cost, I suppose. I buy them at $20 a panel.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Do you get special deals on them or what?

How did you decided on where to put them?

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Do you get special deals on them or what?

How did you decided on where to put them?
No special deals. That's what they cost at the Guitar Center near my house.

In the previous setup they were on the front and back walls (which I think was better) in this one, no space for that, but better than nothing, so, I hung them in an aeshtetically pleasing way.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Finally got around to calibrating the sound in the room.
Nothing fancy, I just used the MCACC and then fine tuned it a little by ear and with a dB meter.

Watched a few scenes from a few movies to check it out, and also watched the depth charge scene from U571 by the recommendation of a few people here.....I thought all the other bits I watched sounded very loud at 100dB, but that scene regularly held at 118dB...punishing! (but still clear and undistorted)

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
off topic - I see you're from OK City area. I was born and raised in Okmulgee.

Very cool. I've never been to Okmulgee. I've pretty much stuck to Norman my whole life. What brought you to Denver?

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Added a sofa that matches to the theater to get a little more seating last night

Also, it appears that my 2 channel den is starting to taste a little "gamey"

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
Nicely done on both systems. I have heard those Magnepans sound amazing with the right amps.
I do have a question about your theater in regards to the dimensions. I'm currently trying to plan out my dedicated room and choosing the right size screen is on the top of my list.

Thanks
Josh

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis