Denon PMA-A110 Integrated Amplifier Review

O

oupee

Enthusiast
It would be great if only those who heard it wrote here. But this is true of all products. Today, they are all experts.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gene. I like your site, and read it daily. It is true. You may not be old enough to remember Julian Hirsch's test reports in Stereo Review , but his tests were done under rigorous conditions,...continuous power, across the entire bandwidth, both channels operating at the same time, with the amp fully warmed up. Note that 0.0002%, was this limit of his test equipment, at the time--1981. I was not commenting upon the listening quality of the amp, simply, it's power/distortion envelope, which I don't believe has been improved upon. There were several other amps, from the same vintage, I could have used for reference.
I think in that review it was THD that was measured, not THD+N. If true then it is not an apple to apple comparison.

Gene is probably right, the Benchmark amp and some of the Hypex or Purifi based amps may be just as good or better in terms of those measurements.

I do agree with you that power output/distortion has not improved over time, I guess that's why many of us have been saying, class A, B and AB power amplifiers are products of matured technology and has been for a long time, at least in a general sense.

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1626294471555.png

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The problem is that most towers have smaller drivers now, and f3s in the 50 Hz range are common even for towers. I suspect designers are now assuming the use of subs is the rule rather than the exception. Three way speakers with larger bass drivers are now very much the exception and generally expensive. Denon should remedy this oversight, and it is an easy fix. Jumpers are the best, and cheapest solution.
Yea that is true about bass extension on most modern towers. I think they will release a new unit, since this is limited production, to address my concerns.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene. I like your site, and read it daily. It is true. You may not be old enough to remember Julian Hirsch's test reports in Stereo Review , but his tests were done under rigorous conditions,...continuous power, across the entire bandwidth, both channels operating at the same time, with the amp fully warmed up. Note that 0.0002%, was this limit of his test equipment, at the time--1981. I was not commenting upon the listening quality of the amp, simply, it's power/distortion envelope, which I don't believe has been improved upon. There were several other amps, from the same vintage, I could have used for reference.
I did read Stereoreview as a teen growing up and remember it fondly, especially Julian Hirsch. I would need to see the test conditions and how distortion was measured. The 80s era receivers were pretty bad actually. I had a Pioneer that was speced at .008% THD+N that sounded like poop compared to a good 2CH amp. Today's output devices are faster, and more robust so it's doubtful that the old AV receivers before 2000 era would measure as good or better than today's modern stuff.

O

ObiWanKenobi

Audiophyte
Great review.
I recently bought this amplifier with Sonus Fabre Olympica Nova V tower speakers.
How would you add/connect a subwoofer to this system as it does not a subwoofer output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Great review.
I recently bought this amplifier with Sonus Fabre Olympica Nova V tower speakers.
How would you add/connect a subwoofer to this system as it does not a subwoofer output?

Many subwoofers have speaker level inputs.

O

ObiWanKenobi

Audiophyte
I noticed that but I am afraid that an extra circuit the sound go through it will degrade the performance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed that but I am afraid that an extra circuit the sound go through it will degrade the performance.
Well then using a sub would be out altogether with that sort of concern, eh? Alternatively you could perhaps use the pre-out/main-in connection on some integrated amps to insert a sub.

O

ObiWanKenobi

Audiophyte
Well then using a sub would be out altogether with that sort of concern, eh? Alternatively you could perhaps use the pre-out/main-in connection on some integrated amps to insert a sub.
Hopefully the 32Hz the Sonus gets down to will be good enough for my hearing.
I still have my old Denon AVR-3802 and I’ll give it a try to see(hear) an improvement in bass.

O

ObiWanKenobi

Audiophyte
Do you already have a subwoofer?
I had 2 with my B&W DM605 S2 but now that I switched to new gear I am thinking of getting one but not sure it’s worth the trouble/money

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, since daisy chain of speaker wire is off the table, you could get a sub and connect the LINE IN to the RECORDER OUT of the Denon BUT the signal would be fixed and require crossover and volume settings on the Sub and volume changes on the amp would have to also be made on the Sub using a remote control or app to match it.

O

ObiWanKenobi

Audiophyte
Well, since daisy chain of speaker wire is off the table, you could get a sub and connect the LINE IN to the RECORDER OUT of the Denon BUT the signal would be fixed and require crossover and volume settings on the Sub and volume changes on the amp would have to also be made on the Sub using a remote control or app to match it.
I see.
Too much trouble for me.
I’ll rely on my age not hearing it

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
Hard to figure why anyone would buy the Denon over the STR integrated. The latter is big and bulky so maybe that's an issue. I don't remember the price of the Denon but it's close to the STR. The STR has sub outs, room correction, great bass management and 200/channel. I understand the STR products are being discontinued? Any news on this @gene?

O

ObiWanKenobi

Audiophyte
Hard to figure why anyone would buy the Denon over the STR integrated. The latter is big and bulky so maybe that's an issue. I don't remember the price of the Denon but it's close to the STR. The STR has sub outs, room correction, great bass management and 200/channel. I understand the STR products are being discontinued? Any news on this @gene?
Everyone has a favorite brand and Denon are very, very good.
I’m not familiar with STR?

O

ObiWanKenobi

Audiophyte
Just looked at STR integrated amplifier in my country and it’s 75% more expensive.
That’s hard for me to justify.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like brands for some specific models they sport, wouldn't buy a brand just because some other thing they made I particularly liked. I like Denon avrs but not much else they have interests me....then again I find little value in integrated amps since maybe the 80s, particularly one with limited features for $4k (here in the US).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are referring to the speaker level inputs, yes that is a possibility as it depends on how it is done. I think reputable manufacturers such as SVS would likely do it in such a way it won't degrade performance but you would have to ask them. When I bought my Rythmik sub, I asked for that feature, not that I would ever use it but just in case, and Rythmik custom designed an OPA based circuit to do it to avoid it to react with the speaker's crossover circuit. I am not promoting that route, just so you know there are options.

Last edited:
W

woodchamber

Audiophyte
Hello

I would be interested in the differences to the PMA-1700NE. A Japanese magazine called it something like the "poor man's A-110." I guess the specs are not too different. The differences in sound I would found most interesting. By the official specs the A-110 needs a lot more power by running the unit. Maybe there is a higher Cass-A bias with the A-110.

Best regards

Florian

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis