Denon PMA-A110 Integrated Amplifier Review

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
While I think active speakers can sound technically better than passive, still, and regardless of how good the amps are, I look at them as disposable. The amps should last just long enough to coincide with replacement part NLA territory like other 'all-in-one' appliances. I'd just never rest easy trusting active speakers. I do have a pair of budget JBL LSR305 that are active and have been continuously powered on since around 2018 but I just keep wondering when they will die and leave me with a system that needs a rebuild worth more than the sum of it's parts.

The active vs. passive debate is for those who navel gaze SQ too much. I should be much harder to satisfy, 50 years in, but if I ignore the current crop of starving marketers, passive speakers end up being better than most recordings that will pass through them. Well recorded music sounds flawless, even on older passive speakers worth any mention at all.

Before someone considers going for the next new thing that is into the la-la land of audibility, they should really try the best recordings to grade what they already have and just be honest with themselves about it, and what they are listening to.

All of this DSP that is needed now, ends up chasing crappy modern architecture and trendy interior decor, that keeps getting worse as time goes on, with regard to favorable acoustics, and for people who don't get outdoors enough to appreciate open and airy spaciousness where it is plentiful. Put most decently measuring speakers in a reasonable space and they will sound relatively perfect to our ears.
Or just pay $10K for a pair of 100% active Linkwitz Orion towers like I did and then sell them for $5K in a year or two after you realize it actually doesn’t matter if they are passive or active.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or just pay $10K for a pair of 100% active Linkwitz Orion towers like I did and then sell them for $5K in a year or two after you realize it actually doesn’t matter if they are passive or active.

Where did those lack? Been interested in those but unlikely IRL I'll ever run into them....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where did those lack? Been interested in those but unlikely IRL I'll ever run into them....
The active Orion towers don’t lack anything. Maybe not enough bass for me when compared to subs. My only point is that the Orion sound great, but they don’t sound better than other great passive towers.

The main reason I bought the Orion was because some people were swearing and raving that active speakers sound so much better than passive.

People say a lot of things (beryllium tweeters sound best, diamond tweeters sound best, RAAL tweeters sound best) and I ended up buying a lot of speakers.

Grain of salt. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's really important is KFC (kink free copper)
Man, I got so EXCITED because I thought you were talking about Kentucky Fried Chicken! :mad:

Especially after @Tankini was telling me he had some delicious Church's Fried Chicken. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis