Denon PMA-A110 Integrated Amplifier Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon released a series of audiophile products built in their prestigious factory in Shirakawa, Japan to commemorate their 110th anniversary. We got our hands on the PMA-A110 2CH Integrated Amplifier to evaluate. What we found was a finely crafted piece of audio gear that sounds as good as it looks while delivering more power than its modest 80wpc rating suggests.

It's warm, non-fatiguing sonic signature and meaty punchy bass will either reveal the true capabilities of your speaker system or it's flaws motivating you to upgrade. There is a reason why I revere this category of product.

denon-pma.jpg

Read: Denon PMA-A110 Integrated Amplifier Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@gene
Curious about your comment re: HEOS...
Is there a reason why implementation of HEOS may reduce or otherwise impede performance of the unit in terms of measurements or SQ?

Thank you!

L

lejack

Enthusiast
I've noted that distortion levels, shown for today's newest amps, often don't even come close to what vintage amps of the 80s, either in power, or distortion levels, were able to accomplish. Note the review of the Hafler DH-500, Stereo Review, 12/1981. Pages 56 t0 58, in the pdf, and 52-54 in the magazine. Note that the on the scale goes down to 0.0002%, with both channels operating, full range, up to 0.002% at over 350wpc. I'm not aware of any new amp, that even approaches this. https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/80s/HiFI-Stereo-Review-1981-12.pdf

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've noted that distortion levels, shown for today's newest amps, often don't even come close to what vintage amps of the 80s, either in power, or distortion levels, were able to accomplish. Note the review of the Hafler DH-500, Stereo Review, 12/1981. Pages 56 t0 58, in the pdf, and 52-54 in the magazine. Note that the on the scale goes down to 0.0002%, with both channels operating, full range, up to 0.002% at over 350wpc. I'm not aware of any new amp, that even approaches this. https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-HiFI-Stereo/80s/HiFI-Stereo-Review-1981-12.pdf
Can you hear the difference between 0.0002% THD vs 0.02% THD?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That was absolutely nuts not to include preouts. What it should have is the jumper connectors that used to be on older units that connected to preamps to power amps externally. That would have cost practically nothing compared to the cost of he unit. That way an external crossover could be used to actively bi-amp speakers or just drive a sub via an external cross over. This oversight has really restricted their market quite unnecessarily.

So with this unit the only way to get sound of which this unit is capable, is to have very expensive speakers, that are truly full range or close. So this unit can only be recommended for limited applications. People now want systems that can reach at least into the last octave and preferably cover it. This unit does not cut it. What a waste of effort and resources!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't think that's true. Not sure how the amps were measured that you cite but there are amplifiers today like the Benchmark Audio and Purifi ClassD amps that have lower distortion than most test gear, including my Audio Precision.

This may be interest to you: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-negative-feedback

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That was absolutely nuts not to include preouts. What it should have is the jumper connectors that used to be on older units that connected to preamps to power amps externally. That would have cost practically nothing compared to the cost of he unit. That way an external crossover could be used to actively bi-amp speakers or just drive a sub via an external cross over. This oversight has really restricted their market quite unnecessarily.

So with this unit the only way to get sound of which this unit is capable, is to have very expensive speakers, that are truly full range or close. So this unit can only be recommended for limited applications. People now want systems that can reach at least into the last octave and preferably cover it. This unit does not cut it. What a waste of effort and resources!
Yea it is unfortunate to not have a sub out and disappointing to NOT have preouts. I had a hard time with this but I suspect most people buying this unit will be pairing it with a pair of towers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea it is unfortunate to not have a sub out and disappointing to NOT have preouts. I had a hard time with this but I suspect most people buying this unit will be pairing it with a pair of towers.
And likely would eschew the use of a sub. 2ch integrated fans have somewhat odd goals it seems when it comes to using subs (or even digital formats). Everyone knows the better performance is from separates :) (That's a joke but we did call 2ch integrateds receivers without a tuner back in the day as I'm fond of saying :) ).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The problem is that most towers have smaller drivers now, and f3s in the 50 Hz range are common even for towers. I suspect designers are now assuming the use of subs is the rule rather than the exception. Three way speakers with larger bass drivers are now very much the exception and generally expensive. Denon should remedy this oversight, and it is an easy fix. Jumpers are the best, and cheapest solution.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's typical of Denon/Marantz integrated amps. You can pay double to import the Denon flag ship integrated amp from Japan, and get only 50W/100W 8/4 ohm rated output, and still no pre out/sub out. I guess they think if you need more output you should go with separates.

On the Marantz side they are a little more flexible, as their newest flag ship now offer 200 WPC, 4X Denon's, for just a little more money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All the guys I've seen buying high-end Integrated Amps these days are older tired guys with bigger more efficient towers in their 2.0 music systems without any subs and driving their little red Corvette or Porsche to pick up their Integrated Amps. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe such high end low output (<100/200W rated) integrated amps have an extremely skinny market shares because:

- Many younger audiophiles who think they have golden ears can't justify spending so much on just an amp.
- Many older audiophiles who can afford have waken up to the reality long ago that they don't "sound" better on their own, and stopped chasing...
- Other older folks who still believe on what the marketing info and other owners may opt for separates anyway as they can afford and have the space for them.

For me, I would only consider such gear for my second or third two channel systems in a smaller room. Even then, the Denon would only be my choice if I think it looks better than their competitors that are much more cost effective.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I believe such high end low output (<100/200W rated) integrated amps have an extremely skinny market shares because:
"high end low output" :D

- Many younger audiophiles who think they have golden ears can't justify spending so much on just an amp.
Good hearing but little money.

- Many older audiophiles who can afford have waken up to the reality long ago that they don't "sound" better on their own, and stopped chasing...
- Other older folks who still believe on what the marketing info and other owners may opt for separates anyway as they can afford and have the space for them.
Bad hearing but much more money. And a little wiser as well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
"high end low output" :D
For $3,500 you get only 80 W, to me that qualifies (okay just barely) for "high end low output".

If not, then for $8,000, the PMA-SX11 limited offers 50 W clearly qualifies for such category imo.

Something in between would be the Marantz PM-10, also listed for about $8,000 but offers 200 W, that's actually quite viable, even for me.:D Definitely better value than the older PM-11S1 and 11S2 that I believe Gene also reviewed.

I would love to see a review with measurements for the PMA-SX11. Its 50 W output really puzzles me to no end. Denon has that 50 W amp (from SX to SX1, SX11, SX11 limited) in production from many years so people must be buying them, at least in Japan (may be HK too).

L

lejack

Enthusiast
Can you hear the difference between 0.0002% THD vs 0.02% THD?
No, and nobody else can. My point was simply to show that amplifier technology, at least as far as power output and distortion levels, have not improved, at all, since the 80s.

L

lejack

Enthusiast
I don't think that's true. Not sure how the amps were measured that you cite but there are amplifiers today like the Benchmark Audio and Purifi ClassD amps that have lower distortion than most test gear, including my Audio Precision.

This may be interest to you: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-negative-feedback
Gene. I like your site, and read it daily. It is true. You may not be old enough to remember Julian Hirsch's test reports in Stereo Review , but his tests were done under rigorous conditions,...continuous power, across the entire bandwidth, both channels operating at the same time, with the amp fully warmed up. Note that 0.0002%, was this limit of his test equipment, at the time--1981. I was not commenting upon the listening quality of the amp, simply, it's power/distortion envelope, which I don't believe has been improved upon. There were several other amps, from the same vintage, I could have used for reference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, and nobody else can. My point was simply to show that amplifier technology, at least as far as power output and distortion levels, have not improved, at all, since the 80s.
Oh, yeah, I agree. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis